[SOLVED] Lost Shares after Hard Reboot

Hi Team,

Loving this product, even with my current issue - i suspect a usual raid array would have failed completely in this situation, whereas i can still see all my files spread across my disks!  :)

My darling dearest beloved wife kicked the power cord out of the server (don't ask me how, it was well out of the way) - on reboot the only user share that appears is an empty one i created recently called "sickbeard" as i was mucking around with sickbeard for a while a few months ago (the directory should be empty, there was nothing in it)

What's happened so far:

- It has completed a parity check with zero errors

- It's had a good 12 hours running since the hard reboot

- I can see all my files on the two data disks, i do not appear to have lost any data

- User shares are not visible.

What i have tried:

- Attempts to clean reboot fail - it gets stuck saying "retry unmount user share" over and over again

- Manual Hard reboot via console command "shutdown -r now" command brings it back up in the same state

- I have disabled almost all plugins but HAVE NOT rebooted yet (currently at work with no remote access)

What i intend to try when i get home:

1. Reboot with no plugins

[if that doesn't work]: 2. Start from scratch, manually consolidate data from the two disks onto another drive, stand up fresh unraid server and manually copy everything across.

I have attached a log from the server rebooting (this is before plugins were disabled) - hope someone might be able to cast their eye's across it and confirm my proposed plan of attack above is apropriate.

many thanks

10meg

solarlog.txt

Have you checked under Settings that User Shares are actually enabled?

Sorry I should have said that, yep it all seems normal and it does say enabled under user settings, there is also that "sickbeard" user share visible as well.

I'm half wondering if sickbeard or something plugin wise is messing it up and it's stuck trying to create the user shares... and it can't unmount them because it hasn't finished mounting them?

Reboot into SAFE-mode.

Sorry I'm showing my ignorance here... that's basically normal mode but with all plugins disabled?  Safe mode boot should have all user shares available?  Or do I need to do something once in safe mode?

You are correct on safe mode - no plugins, but shares should show.

Before you do that... if you map a drive to \\tower\flash and look under the config folder can you open share.cfg in notepad and does everything look fine? If so, do you have a shares folder under config? It should have a file for each share that exists (at least it does in 6.0... I don't remember if 5.0 did this as well). See if you can open/read any of the share files in notepad.

If you can do the above, but the shares still don't work I would try and create a new test share, and drop a dummy file in to make sure that works.

If it does, delete the share config file (i.e. tv.cfg) from \config\shares and then try and re-create the share.

None of this will touch your data - it's only dictating access to it via shares.

IF 5.0 doesn't have the \config\shares folder then someone on 5.0 may need to comment (assuming you are running 5.0 - you don't mention).

Reboot into SAFE-mode.

Sorry I'm showing my ignorance here... that's basically normal mode but with all plugins disabled?  Safe mode boot should have all user shares available?  Or do I need to do something once in safe mode?

Before you do that... if you map a drive to \\tower\flash and look under the config folder can you open share.cfg in notepad and does everything look fine? If so, do you have a shares folder under config? It should have a file for each share that exists (at least it does in 6.0... I don't remember if 5.0 did this as well). See if you can open/read any of the share files in notepad.

If you can do the above, but the shares still don't work I would try and create a new test share, and drop a dummy file in to make sure that works.

If it does, delete the share config file (i.e. tv.cfg) from \config\shares and then try and re-create the share.

None of this will touch your data - it's only dictating access to it via shares.

IF 5.0 doesn't have the \config\shares folder then someone on 5.0 may need to comment (assuming you are running 5.0 - you don't mention).

Thanks, very informative, i'll try all that tonight - running 5.5 or thereabouts

So if a share is not there but there is a folder on the data disk called "tv" and i create a share called "tv" it will discover all the files in that folder and they will appear in the new share?  is that correct?

Reboot into SAFE-mode.

Thanks, very informative, i'll try all that tonight - running 5.5 or thereabouts

So if a share is not there but there is a folder on the data disk called "tv" and i create a share called "tv" it will discover all the files in that folder and they will appear in the new share?  is that correct?

Correct. It will create a share using the existing folder and you should be able to see the contents.

I am wondering if the \config\shares\ files got corrupted when the power was yanked. If there is no \config\shares folder all the details may be in the \config\share.cfg file - as I mentioned, it's been a year or so since I ran 5.0 and it's hard to remember how 6.0 differs from 5.0.5 or earlier.

Either way hopefully I've given enough detail that you can sleuth it out. :)

Reboot into SAFE-mode.

Correct. It will create a share using the existing folder and you should be able to see the contents.

I am wondering if the \config\shares\ files got corrupted when the power was yanked. If there is no \config\shares folder all the details may be in the \config\share.cfg file - as I mentioned, it's been a year or so since I ran 5.0 and it's hard to remember how 6.0 differs from 5.0.5 or earlier.

Either way hopefully I've given enough detail that you can sleuth it out. :)

That really helps, many thanks all

unRAID will consider any top level folder from cache or array a user share, and unless you configure a user share in the GUI it will have default settings. I'm not sure it actually writes the .cfg file for a share in config/shares unless you actually configure the share in the GUI.

Ok, it's fixed.

Unfortunately i was working under pressure as my wife REALLY needed something off the server - so i didn't have time to isolate exactly what the problem was... BUT:

- I could not run safe mode as I'm headless and i couldn't find the right cables, i think my wife threw them out (THERE IS A THEME HERE!)

- When trying to perform a clean powerdown the disks where held busy by cache directories

- I then performed a shutdown -r now

- I disabled the following in the web gui:

- Sickbeard

- Couch potato

- Cache directories

- I then rebooted the server using the web gui

- Started the array

- All was well!

so, something above fixed it, personally i think it was cache directory since it was stopping the disks from being released... but that's just a guess.

Thank you all for your assistance

10meg

Archived