[SOLVED] WD 6TB RED

Hello all, I was just looking around doing a computer quote for someone and saw WD has 6TB Reds out on the market. I thought to myself, hm new parity drive, however I was unsure if UnRAID supports the 6TB models / size as of yet. Thought I would post a new topic on it to find out if there is support for them or future coming support, perhaps in future versions

Here is a link to the drive, as well as drive description... Thank you for anyone that can shed some light on the matter.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/western-digital-wd60efrx-6tb-red-22-99935-1493.htm

Western Digital WD60EFRX 6TB Red SATA3 6GB/S 64MB Cache 3.5in Hard Drive

Part #: WD60EFRX

Cool right on, Thanks.

yes I have a few 4TB red's in my array already, no issues. In regards to preclear, we don't have to use the -A command with preclear on drives larger then 2TB anymore right ?

perhaps refresh my mind with the EXACT preclear command on drives larger then 2TB

going off memory i think it is

preclear_disk.sh /dev/sdX (where X is the drive letter a-z)

I recall having to do preclear_disk.sh -A /dev/sdX

so you use -A using sector 64 over sector 63 i think it was. I remember something after 2.4TB size it was not needed anymore, but I could be wrong :-/

Yup. I use -A -c 3 /dev/sdX for the 3 cycles of preclear. I think it should use sector 64 by default (if you have that as default setting in GUI under settings\disk settings). If disk settings is MBR aligned it's the same as -A I believe.

Im in the process of changing all my drives to WD 6TB Red's. Im now preclearing my 3rd drive and I have had no issues so far, but with a 53 hr preclear time 1 cycle is enough for me. With a 3 year warranty Im hoping like my other 3TB and 4TB reds the only issues Im going to get is a possible DOA drive. So many different views on the preclear, some say 1 so it doesn't stress out the drive unnecessary, others say 3. I have done 1 preclear on 36 x WD 3TB, 4TB and 6TB drives now on my own, and 2 friends servers and we have only had one fail after 14 months of use. 7 drives were DOA though. No 6TB's DOA yet, but we have only purchased 6 between us so far.