Probably been asked, should I move to beta?

Influencer

I was very active here up until about a year ago when life decided to take away all of my free time. That being said unraid v5 has been running rock solid,  so much to the point it was all but forgotten minus the daily or every couple of days check in to see drive status.

Now I see v6 is being heavily developed with some interesting features being added.

I would consider myself an experienced user and I like to be on the bleeding edge of technology so I'm interested in giving v6 a go.

Other than 64bit, what other features should push me to use v6 over v5? Is it "stable" enough, keeping in mind it's a beta, to run on my production server? I, like many others, ran v5 in beta with little or no issue. As far as I have read, my experience with v6 beta would be largely the same.

Opinions?

Be glad you weren't on the bleeding edge for the last month or so. b7 and b8 had reiserfs bugs, theoretically that's all fixed with b9, but since the data loss potential was there, b9 was somewhat rushed, so if I were you, I'd wait until jumping in. Given the recent events, I'd make sure you have a method of verifying the integrity of your files and be sure of your backups.

No need to hit up the beta when the RC is due in at the end of the month.

That's certainly one way to look at it, but given the OP's experience level and history here, I'd rather he play with the beta to help wring out any more bugs. I just wanted to be honest about the extra level of risk this particular beta cycle seems to have.

I know you seem to want to hold Limetech's feet to the fire on the progress dates, but I think a little slack is needed, it's not like they were the ones responsible for this reiserfs bug that disrupted this beta.

I was very active here up until about a year ago when life decided to take away all of my free time. That being said unraid v5 has been running rock solid,  so much to the point it was all but forgotten minus the daily or every couple of days check in to see drive status.

Now I see v6 is being heavily developed with some interesting features being added.

I would consider myself an experienced user and I like to be on the bleeding edge of technology so I'm interested in giving v6 a go.

Other than 64bit, what other features should push me to use v6 over v5? Is it "stable" enough, keeping in mind it's a beta, to run on my production server? I, like many others, ran v5 in beta with little or no issue. As far as I have read, my experience with v6 beta would be largely the same.

Opinions?

Great to see you'r back !!

B9 is good to go.. With b7 and 8 we had a first in a really serious bug that could potentially wreck data.

64 bit has solved OOM errors and has brought another plugin structure, the idea is that most of the plugins would move to DOCKER giving a kind of sandbox/vm environment for them.. Not my cup of tea personally but possibly great if you do not allready have a vm structure running.

Also some moves to move away from the current setup, REISERFS can now be replaced by XFS or even BTRFS. Cache drives can now be pooled 2-into-1. And the next version should contain much wanted base functionality (like email notification on error and stuff)

I think I'll move to the beta to try things out. I knew of the corruption bug and the beta9 fix. I'll probably switch over this week after running some checksums to ensure integrity. I know the bug was fixed but a little precaution is never a bad thing.

Good to be back! Still not tons of free time but I want to stay active in the community.

I'm in the same boat as you Influencer, been incredibly busy the last 6 months or so and don't see it stopping for at least another 6 months.  I'm also itching to move to v6.  I'm still on v5.0.5 and running plugins for Plex/SAB/SB/CP (mostly yours) and it's incredibly stable, hence why I haven't migrated to v6 yet, but I feel like it's time.  I'd like to upgrade to v6 and move all my apps to dockers.  I also ran v5 through the beta series, so not too worried about going beta again.

I was wondering if any of the good souls here can point to any links with info on how to migrate to v6 and docker while preserving existing configs and setups (Plex/SAB/SB/CP) as I just don't have the time to reconfigure everything from scratch.  I currently don't have the time to obsessively read like I did when I first setup my server 2 years ago. 

Any pointers/tips/links would be greatly appreciated.

Good to see you back Influencer!

I would not move to the beta or RC until you have hash sum's of every disk.

While every precaution is probably observed not to break something. It happens.

The last beta had a serious corruption potential.

Therefore, I would suggest you have good backups of your most important files and do hash sums of all your data.

There's no guide, however jbartlett has a great script called bitrot.sh which will add hash sums to file's extended attributes.

bitrot - a utility for generating sha256 keys for integrity checks (version 1.0) 

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=35226.msg327803#msg327803

Currently, I am using md5deep -r -W (some output md5sum name) for each disk.

I do this for each disk separately.

md5deep can be installed with installpkg or drop the package in the /boot/extra folder for automatic install on boot up.

Example:

root@unRAID:/var/log# md5deep -of -r -W /mnt/disk1/disk1.md5sum /mnt/disk1

^C (interrupted after a quick minute)

root@unRAID:/var/log# ls -l /mnt/disk1/disk1.md5sum

-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 62 2014-09-19 17:56 /mnt/disk1/disk1.md5sum

Check with

root@unRAID:/var/log# md5sum -c /mnt/disk1/disk1.md5sum

/mnt/disk1/TMP/filelist.txt: OK

Certainly agree that you need to have hashes of your files so you can confirm the integrity at any given time;  but of course a hash only confirms whether or not the file has been altered ==> so be sure you have backups of any files you don't want to lose.

That's true whether you're running Beta software or not, of course -- but is perhaps a bit more important when using Beta versions.