Upgrade from unRAID 5 to unRAID 6?

m4f1050

Can I upgrade from unRAID 5 to unRAID 6 or do I have to start from scratch?  (i.e. Setup everything from scratch?  Like the plug-ins (Sab,Couch,Sick,Trans,Headphones,Plex,Subsonic) and services (AirVideo, Twonky, printer server, heyu, and other misc services) I had running on unRAID 5?)

Can I upgrade from unRAID 5 to unRAID 6 or do I have to start from scratch?  (i.e. Setup everything from scratch?  Like the plug-ins (Sab,Couch,Sick,Trans,Headphones,Plex,Subsonic) and services (AirVideo, Twonky, printer server, heyu, and other misc services) I had running on unRAID 5?)

Plugins for v5 are not compatible with v6.  v5 uses 32-bit plugins while v6 needs 64-bit ones do to move to v6 you have to give up your current plugins.

Most plugins have 64-bit versions, but under v6 it is recommended that use docker containers instead of plugins .  Docker isolates apps and does not have the same risk to system stability as plugins do..  Docker containers exist for most common apps *more than available via plugins), and have point-and-click style installation and configuration.

• 7 months later...

I have searched, but didn't immediately find an answer..... Is there a way to migrate my Unraid 5.06 array settings (i.e. drive assignments) to Unraid 6?

Also, any way to migrate Unraid 5 plugins to 6?

Upgrading to UnRAID v6

You can't use v5 plugins on v6, but depending on your plugins, you might be able to install v6 plugins and have them pickup where they left off with the plugin data. If you are you using PhAZe plugins then the application data should probably work with v6 plugins. Note however that dockers are much preferred to plugins, they will have better support long-term, and there are many more dockers available than plugins.

Your array settings, your unRAID key file, and your share settings are all in the config folder on your flash. Read the wiki I linked and it will explain how to keep these when upgrading.

Archived