[PLUGIN DEPRECATED] VM Manager (2015.02.24)

dmacias

My understanding is that you cannot use VNC if you're doing GPU passthru, that they are mutually exclusive.

That's what I originally thought but I swear I could see VNC into windows when I was logged into my ubuntu VM with virt-manager installed. Now it just gives me a gray screen...

One of these days I'll get a video card and try. The only difference may be websocket.  Since this uses that only and virt-manager is tcp and webvirtmgr can use both depending on how you connected it. It could be unraid's libvirt version too. But what I've read on other forums seems to say the same that once the windows logo comes up vnc freezes and passthrough is enabled.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may have found another bug!!!  8) When I click start on my Ubuntu VM it says that is successfully restarted but the VM does not restart. I have to VNC and then click restart from the Ubuntu GUI.

Try it with a console open. I will try when I get home. I haven't touch that bit since you suggested it.

Actually I just tried my ubuntu vm and it works for me :)

It reboots pretty fast.

When I click the Shutdown button in VM Manager, the VM goes into an "unknown" state even though the VM shut down.  I have to do a "virsh destroy vm" at cli to get it to die.  Are there tools I need to install on the VM to get this to work properly?

It's a windows vm I bet?  I think there are steps you have to take. I don't know what they are though.  Used too you had to shut down inside the vm for windows or maybe just with passthrough.

Hi dmacias,

I managed to get working both windows 8 and 7 vm´s using vmmgr. I am still testing my win8 vm (with usb, audio and gpu passthrough), but it seems to work without any problems.

Only issue is after shutting down windows8 (within windows) > then stopping the vm from vmmgr > then if I try to restart the vm unraid does not respond at all .. so I can only power it off (not a clean shutdown).

Do you experience the same issue?

Rgds.

I don't have a video card in my server. I will setup a windows vm and see but no passthrough.  In my linux vm's, if I powerdown inside the vm, vmMan will show shutoff.

I would search for kvm windows 7 graceful shutdown. I think there's a couple settings you can change to get acpi shutdown to work. Make sure you have ACPI in your vm also.

I've managed to get Windows7 installed and can access it via VNC,

I haven't tried passthrough yet. One step at a time  :)

My VM has no internet access though, I have no Virtual Network created and everytime I try to make a new one I get

"The pool bridge name must not contain any special characters" message. How do I go about setting up a new network?

Here is my xml if its any use

<domain type='kvm' id='8'>
  <name>win7</name>
  <uuid>55888d70-8e14-4b0a-e720-aaa0d9484c75</uuid>
  <memory unit='KiB'>524288</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>524288</currentMemory>
  <vcpu placement='static'>8</vcpu>
  <resource>
    <partition>/machine</partition>
  </resource>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-i440fx-2.1'>hvm</type>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
    <pae/>
  </features>
  <clock offset='localtime'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='yes'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>destroy</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>destroy</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2'/>
      <source file='/mnt/cache/images/win7/win7qcow.img'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hda' bus='ide'/>
      <alias name='ide0-0-0'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='0'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0'>
      <alias name='usb0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pci-root'>
      <alias name='pci.0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='ide' index='0'>
      <alias name='ide0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:e9:12:93'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <target dev='vnet0'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <alias name='net0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <source path='/dev/pts/0'/>
      <target port='0'/>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty' tty='/dev/pts/0'>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </console>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='5900' autoport='yes' websocket='5700' listen='0.0.0.0'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='cirrus' vram='9216' heads='1'/>
      <alias name='video0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/>
    </video>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <alias name='balloon0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
</domain>

So I tried to make a VM again with the same settings that worked yesterday and today it wont find the hard drive to

install again.

Fun, fun, fun

I'm sure If I had a grasp of xml I could get it....but I dont  >:(

So I tried to make a VM again with the same settings that worked yesterday and today it wont find the hard drive to

install again.

Fun, fun, fun

I'm sure If I had a grasp of xml I could get it....but I dont  >:(

I just installed my first windows 7 vm through the create template section. You need a storage pool created with an image created for the vm first and the windows iso and virtio drivers images.  Storage pools just point to where images and iso are located.  You can create as many as you want or point to locations with iso images and a separate location for creating vm images.

Then goto create section, type  a name for your vm, add windows iso and virtio iso images, change cpu and ram to your needs ( e.g. 2 cpus and 2048 and max 2048), select disk image and type if not qcow2 then usb tablet for vnc mouse. Then click create vm. You should now be able to vnc into your windows setup.  Add drivers at hard drive install screen.  Browse through the virtio cdrom to the windows version your installing.  Once windows is fully installed I left the virtio cdrom persistent so you can goto device manager and update drivers for network from virtio drivers cdrom.  It will shutdown multiple times and you just start it up again and finish.

Thanks for the update dmacias. I have tried your steps but the drive to install on still isn't showing.

I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Using your steps my xml looks like this:

<domain type='kvm' id='5'>
  <name>win7</name>
  <uuid>85ec12aa-d8c2-ecac-b662-5e04f6f477c8</uuid>
  <memory unit='KiB'>2097152</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>2097152</currentMemory>
  <vcpu placement='static'>2</vcpu>
  <resource>
  </resource>
  <os>
    <boot dev='cdrom'/>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
    <pae/>
  </features>
  </clock>
  <devices>
      <source file='/mnt/cache/images/win7/win7.qcow2'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hda' bus='virtio'/>
      <alias name='virtio-disk0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x06' function='0x0'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
      <source file='/mnt/cache/images/win7/win7.iso'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='sdc' bus='sata'/>
      <readonly/>
      <alias name='sata0-0-2'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>
      <source file='/mnt/cache/images/win7/virtio-win-0.1-81.iso'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='sdd' bus='sata'/>
      <readonly/>
      <alias name='sata0-0-3'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='3'/>
    </disk>
      <alias name='usb0'/>
    </controller>
      <alias name='pci.0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <alias name='sata0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x05' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <filesystem type='mount' accessmode='passthrough'>
      <source dir='/mnt/cache/images'/>
      <target dir=''/>
      <alias name='fs0'/>
    </filesystem>
      <mac address='52:54:00:ef:b8:4a'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <target dev='vnet0'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <alias name='net0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <target port='0'/>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </serial>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </console>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='5900' autoport='yes' websocket='5700' listen='0.0.0.0'>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <alias name='video0'/>
    </video>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='no'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x046d'/>
        <product id='0xc52b'/>
        <address bus='1' device='3'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev0'/>
    </hostdev>
      <alias name='balloon0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
</domain>

When I went to the Create XML I left the "Mount Tag" empty.

My unRAID share was /mnt/cache/images . Would that have something to do with it?

Anything jump out that would cause it?

ihatethisscreen.jpg.af466ec42cd31f207ba830bebdf03458.jpg

storagepool.jpg.c22aaee8d73a3ed1eb41647d5be05da5.jpg

I guess I need to label that better.  The share settings won't work for windows. They are for passing through your unraid shares and mounting them in a linux vm. There is no 9p share pci driver for windows. They won't hurt anything. There will just be an undefined pci device in the device manager.

But from your screenshot you need too go to the win7 folder on cdrom e: and then to the 64 or 32bit driver folder and install the hard drive drivers. I think it's the scsi drivers.

Also make sure your cache image folder is cache only.

I was struggling with this last night.  Here's what I discovered.  I was unable to install my windows, due to a problem with my iso image.

After stopping the progress, then resolving my iso issue, when I went to start the VM again, it failed.  I looked at the XML and all the drive information was missing.

i had to delete the VM completely, then start from scratch, and reselect all the drives in the setup again, and then it finally worked.

I don't know why the drives kept getting removed, but I suspect this is the problem Manticore is facing.

Once the installation progressed enough that windows wanted to restart, the VM didn't restart, and I had to manually start the VM each time.  I was afraid it wouldn't work, due to the drive issue above, but it did start fine again from this point, and it seems to be working fine right now.  I'm currently installing updates as I type this.

Other than the issue with the drives disappearing, this plugin is REALLY helpful.  Thanks for providing this for us.

I was struggling with this last night.  Here's what I discovered.  I was unable to install my windows, due to a problem with my iso image.

After stopping the progress, then resolving my iso issue, when I went to start the VM again, it failed.  I looked at the XML and all the drive information was missing.

i had to delete the VM completely, then start from scratch, and reselect all the drives in the setup again, and then it finally worked.

I don't know why the drives kept getting removed, but I suspect this is the problem Manticore is facing.

Once the installation progressed enough that windows wanted to restart, the VM didn't restart, and I had to manually start the VM each time.  I was afraid it wouldn't work, due to the drive issue above, but it did start fine again from this point, and it seems to be working fine right now.  I'm currently installing updates as I type this.

Other than the issue with the drives disappearing, this plugin is REALLY helpful.  Thanks for providing this for us.

No problem. If you have any wishes let me know.  Its designed so that the vm is created with the cdrom and defined without so after install the cdrom is not mounted in the vm anymore.  I did change it for now that the drivers cd is persistent.  I will update the domain information page soon so you can add and remove cdroms and drives in the vm plus change cpu or memory and a few other options without having to recreate it. I just updated it too cause I broke the create page when adding 9p sharing. All fixed now.

So this plugin shall replace Web Virtual Manager support plugin

//Peter

For me it has :)  I think I'm at that point. Other than cloning and snapshots. But  soon I'll add those or anything from here http://libvirt.org/php/api-reference.html . Let me know what you think.  Like I still don't like the layout of storage when you have multiple pools. It's almost too much.

Any chance you could post your XML Justin?

Did you have to install network adapter drivers after you got it up and running?

I'm going to do what you said and remove and re-add everything again....here we go agiin

Thanks again to dmacias for this great tool. I'm sure the issues that I'm facing is something silly on my end.

Any chance I could get a peek of your xml dmacias  :-[

Did you have to install network adapter drivers after you got it up and running?

I'm going to do what you said and remove and re-add everything again....here we go agiin

Thanks again to dmacias for this great tool. I'm sure the issues that I'm facing is something silly on my end.

Here is the XML created when I fill in the blanks while going thru the template...

<domain type='kvm' id='13'>
  <name>windows</name>
  <uuid>6ff0178a-0577-5d30-0e90-52161ca7400d</uuid>
  <memory unit='KiB'>4194304</memory>
  <resource>
  </resource>
  <os>
    <boot dev='cdrom'/>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  </clock>
  <devices>
      <source file='/mnt/cache/VM/windows7.img'/>
      <backingStore/>
    </disk>
      <source file='/mnt/user/backup/Programs/WindowsISOs/Windows7-Custom.iso'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <readonly/>
    </disk>
      <source file='/mnt/user/backup/Programs/WindowsISOs/virtio-win-0.1-81.iso'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <readonly/>
    </disk>
      <alias name='usb0'/>
    </controller>
      <alias name='pci.0'/>
    </controller>
      <alias name='sata0'/>
    </controller>
      <mac address='52:54:00:7e:29:ad'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <target dev='vnet1'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <alias name='net0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <source path='/dev/pts/1'/>
      <target port='0'/>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty' tty='/dev/pts/1'>
      <source path='/dev/pts/1'/>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </console>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='5901' autoport='yes' websocket='5701' listen='0.0.0.0'>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <alias name='video0'/>
    </video>
      <alias name='balloon0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
</domain>

This is nothing I put together myself, this all comes from the plugin, after filling the blanks.  So, make sure you fill in the fields correctly, and you should be all good.

if you have questions, or run into problems while filling out the fields, come back and we'll see what we can do.

Also, you must have the storages section filled out before trying to create the VM.

My xml would look almost the same as Justin's. After install and all the rebooting is done, you go to start then right click on computer and select properties then device manager. There should be some devices with ? marks. Just update the drivers for those pointing to the cdrom/win7 and 32 or 64bit. I believe one's network and the other is memory balloon.

After install and all the rebooting is done, you go to start then right click on computer and select properties then device manager. There should be some devices with ? marks. Just update the drivers for those pointing to the cdrom/win7 and 32 or 64bit. I believe one's network and the other is memory balloon.

When I was installing windows, I selected the balloon and network drivers before the scsi driver, and they stayed installed thru the windows install, so I didn't have to do this step :)

All good now. Thanks guys.

<domain type='kvm' id='20'>
  <name>win7</name>
  <uuid>15cc8ce1-761c-4ff5-8d71-d26a75bc4b0a</uuid>
  <memory unit='KiB'>2097152</memory>
  <resource>
  </resource>
  <os>
    <boot dev='cdrom'/>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  </clock>
  <devices>
      <source file='/mnt/cache/images/win7/win7.img'/>
      <backingStore/>
    </disk>
      <source file='/mnt/cache/images/win7/win7ultimate.iso'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <readonly/>
    </disk>
      <source file='/mnt/cache/images/win7/virtio-win.iso'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <readonly/>
    </disk>
      <alias name='usb0'/>
    </controller>
      <alias name='pci.0'/>
    </controller>
      <alias name='sata0'/>
    </controller>
      <mac address='52:54:00:de:56:b1'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <target dev='vnet0'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <alias name='net0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <target port='0'/>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </serial>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </console>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <alias name='video0'/>
    </video>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x046d'/>
        <product id='0xc52b'/>
        <address bus='1' device='3'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev0'/>
    </hostdev>
      <alias name='balloon0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
</domain>

Now to get passthrough working

//Peter

For me it has :)  I think I'm at that point. Other than cloning and snapshots. But  soon I'll add those or anything from here http://libvirt.org/php/api-reference.html . Let me know what you think.  Like I still don't like the layout of storage when you have multiple pools. It's almost too much.

Maybe you can make the Storage Pools expandable and collapsible?

John

dmacias, I also removed the WebVirtManager already, as your vmManager is providing much better user experience and is so much more intuitive to handle.

I have 2 questions:

• In VNC window the mouse pointer is fully out of sync. I have both, my Mac's mouse pointer as well as the Windows pointer visible but always unaligned
  • I'm trying to passthrough a USB Sound controller. Here is the code generated:

<source>
        <vendor id='0x0d8c'/>
        <product id='0x013c'/>
        <address bus='2' device='3'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev0'/>
    </hostdev>

However, I'm getting this error message:

root@Tower:/mnt/cache/.VMs/win8# virsh create win8.xml
error: Failed to create domain from win8.xml
error: unsupported configuration: Can't add host USB device: USB is disabled in this host

System Devices / USB Devices is showing that I vmManager was selecting the correct device:

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0d8c:013c C-Media Electronics, Inc. CM108 Audio Controller

dmacias, I also removed the WebVirtManager already, as your vmManager is providing much better user experience and is so much more intuitive to handle.

I have 2 questions:

• In VNC window the mouse pointer is fully out of sync. I have both, my Mac's mouse pointer as well as the Windows pointer visible but always unaligned
  • I'm trying to passthrough a USB Sound controller. Here is the code generated:

<source>
        <vendor id='0x0d8c'/>
        <product id='0x013c'/>
        <address bus='2' device='3'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev0'/>
    </hostdev>

However, I'm getting this error message:

root@Tower:/mnt/cache/.VMs/win8# virsh create win8.xml
error: Failed to create domain from win8.xml
error: unsupported configuration: Can't add host USB device: USB is disabled in this host

System Devices / USB Devices is showing that I vmManager was selecting the correct device:

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0d8c:013c C-Media Electronics, Inc. CM108 Audio Controller

Thanks and any suggestions are welcome. Is this your own xml or was it created through vmMan?  I haven't fully tested it just tested that it added the right arguments to the xml and created a few vm's with usb devices added but I have not tested from install to finish. If you're manually adding to xml I would leave off address and alias.

For vnc mouse you need usb tablet installed.  In create section it's under usb devices but in new version it will be under features and labelled vnc mouse with explanation. You can edit xml and add:

<input type='tablet' bus='usb'/>

//Peter

Maybe you can make the Storage Pools expandable and collapsible?

John

I was thinking of adding tabs on the left but went with your suggestion.  One, it was probably easier and two, it fits more inline with the rest of the pages. Thanks.

• trurl unpinned this topic