[ARCHIVE] binhex docker repository

This it truly fantastic.  Thanks so much!

One request.  It would be great if there were a setting for the VPN config to have a country selection that allows us to enter our own VPN settings manually in the conf file and does not get overwritten.  This way we can use any VPN service.  (or move this information to the application directory so it can be overwritten with other settings)

Hey binhex!

I am amazed to see that you have a teamspeak docker ready but I am curious why you chose arch as a base and not baseimage, how do you overcome the difficulties mentioned on their site?

"Does all this apply too if I'm using CentOS inside the container, or another Linux distribution?"

Yes. The problem exist in those cases too.

Thanks for your time.

hi mettbrot, the list on their website breaks down to this:-

A correct init process

Main article: Docker and the PID 1 zombie reaping problem

using Supervisor to get around this, supervisor does indeed mamange child processes and will cleanup on exit, not seen any zombie process issues to date.

no syslog

again Supervisor takes care of this for me, redirecting stout and sterr to a log file, sorted :-)

no cron

yes, true, but there are potential workaround for this, ive not required the use of cron yet so not looked into this too much.

no SSH daemon

pah, no thanks, i prefer my dockers to be tight on security, that means no ssh, plus the newer "docker exec" command gives me all the access i need to debug any issues.

so yeah, ive had no problems to speak of, the only thing that im desperately wanting from Supervisor is process dependencies, which it currently is lacking, there is a VERY long standing request for this, fingers crossed it will get included soon.

have a play with one of the dockers and see what you think  :D

OK, firstly i apologise, i have made some more changes to delugevpn which means some more changes to your existing docker template (if you have already pulled down delugevpn). im confident this will be the last set of changes that i will make, so going forward you wont have to do this again.

So the changes are to make the docker less PIA centric and more open to using other vpn providers (yes im looking at you movieboy :-)), so ive just reworked the environment variables to accommodate this, so the environment variables should now be as follows:-

VPN_USER=<vpn username>

VPN_PASS=<vpn password>

VPN_REMOTE=<vpn remote gateway>

VPN_PORT=<vpn remote port>

VPN_PROV=<pia|custom>

ENABLE_PRIVOXY=<yes|no>

Note:- no changes to the ports used or the volumes defined.

Alternatively remove delugevpn image and container, click on the "reload info" link in the unraid ui and then click on the "+" icon and reconfigure again (all settings within deluge will be maintained).

IMPORTANT:- if you do NOT define PIA_PROV as "pia" then you will need to manually set your incoming port for Deluge, if your VPN provider does have a way of identifying the incoming port for your connection then please detail the name of the provider and the method to get the port number and i might be able to include this in a future release.

hi mettbrot, the list on their website breaks down to this:-

A correct init process

Main article: Docker and the PID 1 zombie reaping problem

using Supervisor to get around this, supervisor does indeed mamange child processes and will cleanup on exit, not seen any zombie process issues to date.

no syslog

again Supervisor takes care of this for me, redirecting stout and sterr to a log file, sorted :-)

no cron

yes, true, but there are potential workaround for this, ive not required the use of cron yet so not looked into this too much.

no SSH daemon

pah, no thanks, i prefer my dockers to be tight on security, that means no ssh, plus the newer "docker exec" command gives me all the access i need to debug any issues.

so yeah, ive had no problems to speak of, the only thing that im desperately wanting from Supervisor is process dependencies, which it currently is lacking, there is a VERY long standing request for this, fingers crossed it will get included soon.

have a play with one of the dockers and see what you think  :D

awesome! I'll try it out!

So the changes are to make the docker less PIA centric and more open to using other vpn providers (yes im looking at you movieboy :-)), so ive just reworked the environment variables to accommodate this

WOW that was fast!  Thanks!

Now, about that pony I want...  ;D

LOL, tbh it wasn't just your suggestion that triggered the move to a more generic approach, i am having some bandwidth issues around PIA and thus may be looking at changing provider at some point in the future, possibly AirVPN, as i hear good things about them, we shall see how things shake out, good luck with your fund for that pony  :D

VPN_USER=<vpn username>

VPN_PASS=<vpn password>

VPN_PROV=<pia|custom>

ENABLE_PRIVOXY=<yes|no>

Mind if I ask what ENABLE_PRIVOXY does?  Using PIA myself and with the update all is working well, just not sure what that setting does.  Once again, thanks for all the work.

VPN_USER=<vpn username>

VPN_PASS=<vpn password>

VPN_PROV=<pia|custom>

ENABLE_PRIVOXY=<yes|no>

Mind if I ask what ENABLE_PRIVOXY does?  Using PIA myself and with the update all is working well, just not sure what that setting does.  Once again, thanks for all the work.

sure!, that setting enables a proxy server within the docker, this can be used for situations where your isp blocks access to certain websites, you simply enable this and then point your application/web browser at <host ip>:8118 (or the port of your choice), this then sends the request down the vpn tunnel and safely circumvents your isp's filtering, neat hu?. if you want to test it then enable it, configure proxy in your web browser and to confirm its working, go to http://whatismyip.com and you should see the ip you have is not originating from your isp but is the ip allocated from your vpn provider.

VPN_USER=<vpn username>

VPN_PASS=<vpn password>

VPN_PROV=<pia|custom>

ENABLE_PRIVOXY=<yes|no>

sure!, that setting enables a proxy server within the docker, this can be used for situations where your isp blocks access to certain websites, you simply enable this and then point your application/web browser at <host ip>:8118 (or the port of your choice), this then sends the request down the vpn tunnel and safely circumvents your isp's filtering, neat hu?. if you want to test it then enable it, configure it in your web browser and to confirm its working, go to http://whatismyip.com and you should see the ip you have is not originating from your isp but is the ip allocated from your vpn provider.

That's an amazing function.  So, if I'm correct in my assumptions, I can remove the PIA client from my desktop and if I want to hypothetically speaking access Netflix from a different geographical area I can point my desktop's browser to your proxy and hey presto!

If that's correct, then you have just completely removed my need to set up pfsense as a KVM.

VPN_USER=<vpn username>

VPN_PASS=<vpn password>

VPN_PROV=<pia|custom>

ENABLE_PRIVOXY=<yes|no>

sure!, that setting enables a proxy server within the docker, this can be used for situations where your isp blocks access to certain websites, you simply enable this and then point your application/web browser at <host ip>:8118 (or the port of your choice), this then sends the request down the vpn tunnel and safely circumvents your isp's filtering, neat hu?. if you want to test it then enable it, configure it in your web browser and to confirm its working, go to http://whatismyip.com and you should see the ip you have is not originating from your isp but is the ip allocated from your vpn provider.

That's an amazing function.  So, if I'm correct in my assumptions, I can remove the PIA client from my desktop and if I want to hypothetically speaking access Netflix from a different geographical area I can point my desktop's browser to your proxy and hey presto!

If that's correct, then you have just completely removed my need to set up pfsense as a KVM.

correct, as long as netflix uses http/https then you should be good to go.

So, I know that there have been concerns using proxy servers in place of VPN networks, but as this is being passed through to a VPN on my network, does that mean these conditions don't apply.  I'm not much good on networking, so sorry for all the questions.

So, I know that there have been concerns using proxy servers in place of VPN networks, but as this is being passed through to a VPN on my network, does that mean these conditions don't apply.  I'm not much good on networking, so sorry for all the questions.

yes, there is no leakage, as all traffic is on your lan, your just passing the request to the proxy server, and this is already connected to a vpn tunnel, so no worries, plus your not torrenting over the proxy server remember, this is ONLY for web requests, deluge is using a vpn tunnel and not a socks4/5 connection.

yes, there is no leakage, as all traffic is on your lan, your just passing the request to the proxy server, and this is already connected to a vpn tunnel, so no worries, plus your not torrenting over the proxy server remember, this is ONLY for web requests, deluge is using a vpn tunnel and not a socks4/5 connection.

That was the conclusion my addled brain came to, but thanks for explaining it for me.  Brilliant work, this networking is some tricky stuff!

So the changes are to make the docker less PIA centric and more open to using other vpn providers (yes im looking at you movieboy :-)), so ive just reworked the environment variables to accommodate this, so the environment variables should now be as follows:-

VPN_USER=<vpn username>

VPN_PASS=<vpn password>

VPN_PROV=<pia|custom>

ENABLE_PRIVOXY=<yes|no>

So, I set the variables, but they are not getting used.  My conf files looks like this:

client

dev tun

proto udp

remote vpn.provider.com 1111

resolv-retry infinite

nobind

persist-key

persist-tun

ca ca.crt

tls-client

remote vpn.provider.com 1111

auth-user-pass credentials.conf

comp-lzo

verb 1

reneg-sec 0

crl-verify crl.pem

ping 600

ping-restart 1200

Notice that remote is listed twice.

also getting an error in the log that username is not set.

OK, my fault. 

username and pass were using the old variable names.  refreshed and recreated the docker app and then i was all good.  I was assuming that it would pull the vpn address and port from the variables.  I just had to move the my vpn .conf file into place and was good to go.

OK, my fault. 

username and pass were using the old variable names.  refreshed and recreated the docker app and then i was all good.  I was assuming that it would pull the vpn address and port from the variables.  I just had to move the my vpn .conf file into place and was good to go.

hi movieboy, glad you got it going, and yes it should pull vpn hostname and port from variables, that is my mistake, i forgot to re factor this when i switched over from country name for gateway to hostname and port, so i will change this so it does pick them up. one thing i cant fathom though is the fact you have two remote entries in the openvpn.conf file, that doesnt make sense, as the bash script that is call uses sed to do a regex find and replace, it doesnt insert any lines for the remote section, very odd, i will check it but im fairly sure thats true.

Just wondering how I would use the delugeVPN docker with airVPN. there is no username and password. you just download the opvn file and load it up

im fairly sure airvpn will require a username and password, otherwise i could download the opvn file from airvpn and have myself a free vpn tunnel with no authentication required :-).

you sure if you create a tunnel to airvpn using openvpn client that it doesnt then ask you to enter in username and password?.

Hello Binhex,

I just installed your delugevpn, docker, it was super easy to get setup, and is running great! I do have one question though before i feel comfortable using it.

Is it fully self contained?

Is there anything else I need to do other than passing the variables for my VPN settings in the docker?

Is there anywhere to set the pia encryption options? What encryption options are you using?

The reason I ask, is that in other vpn + torrent docker discussions people were talking about needing a network bridge setup, etc.

Thanks for your work!

Hello Binhex,

I just installed your delugevpn, docker, it was super easy to get setup, and is running great! I do have one question though before i feel comfortable using it.

Is it fully self contained?

Is there anything else I need to do other than passing the variables for my VPN settings in the docker?

Is there anywhere to set the pia encryption options? What encryption options are you using?

The reason I ask, is that in other vpn + torrent docker discussions people were talking about needing a network bridge setup, etc.

Thanks for your work!

hi guyonaphone, replies as follows:-

1. yes

2. no

3.yes you can change any of the settings for the tunnel by tweaking the openvpn.conf file located in your /config volume, the one used is a stock ovpn file direct from PIA

4. if your talkng about a docker bridge, then its already setup for you in unraid, so you dont need to worry about that :-)

ive tried to make it as simple as possible to use this docker, so it should be as simple as providing username and password and setting the remote hostname and port for the tunnel, and optionally enabling privoxy if you want to bypass isp web filtering, thats it :-)