(Solved) Empty Folder on Cache Drive

thestewman

My cache drive contains an empty share folder (Movies) and a sub folder (ISO).

I would like to remove them. I tried deleting them with Windows Explorer but they marked as Read Only and it will not let me change the security.

How can I remove them without damaging my Appdata and Docker files which are on the cache drive?

Thanks for the help

I tried your suggested command and ran into 2 problems.

1. The movies directory had another directory inside it called ISO Files

This was a problem as the name was  2 words with a space so the RMDIR command could not find the directory "ISO Files".

I was able to correct the file name with Windows Explorer.

2. The RMDIR command then said the directories were not empty though they were. That was a confusing issue.

Your suggestion moved me to look up all the Linux commands and I was able to delete the directories with RM  -r.

Thanks

Thanks for the help

I tried your suggested command and ran into 2 problems.

1. The movies directory had another directory inside it called ISO Files

This was a problem as the name was  2 words with a space so the RMDIR command could not find the directory "ISO Files".

I was able to correct the file name with Windows Explorer.

2. The RMDIR command then said the directories were not empty though they were. That was a confusing issue.

Your suggestion moved me to look up all the Linux commands and I was able to delete the directories with RM  -r.

Thanks

Are you SURE they were empty? I bet there was a hidden file still in there. BTW, having a directory inside counts as "not empty" even if there are no files anywhere in that tree. Be VERY careful using linux commands that delete data. It's way too easy to delete stuff you didn't mean to.

Thanks for the "Heads Up". I actually was worried about it as I am a rare user of Linux commands. My Cache only had the Appdata, Docker and the Movie file on it.

I realized the Movie directory/file had the ISO Files  directory/file inside it. So that might account for the Movies file not being empty.

I checked within file properties for the ISO Files and could find nothing.

Question:

When using Linux and the directory/file has a multi word name such as ISO Files or Blu Ray.

How do you overcome a Linux command only looking at the first name and handling each separately ?

Question:

When using Linux and the directory/file has a multi word name such as ISO Files or Blu Ray.

How do you overcome a Linux command only looking at the first name and handling each separately ?

Three ways

For a folder called BluRay Movies,

You can either refer to it as "BluRay Movies" or BluRay\ Movies, or when you're typing in the folder name, you can press tab and linux will fill in the rest of it for you (if there's no other matches for what you've already typed)

Archived