Want to upgrade case general questions

theecatman

I believe I know the answer but need to double check...

I need more room for drives etc currently running V6b14,  I want to buy a bigger case Only,  before the removal of my old drives do I need to take note where each drive is located on my mother board and controllers for each drive?  I believe the answer is yes....  Your thoughts... [emoji1]

Ashe is right. No need to preserve physical disk locations. unRAID recognizes drives by serial number and should put everything right. This was not the case in the 4.x days. unRAID used to tie the slot to the slot / channel. It is much better now, so long as you never have 2 drives with the same SN (which should never happen).

See THE POST for an alternate way to grow your array without buying a new case.

Ashe is right. No need to preserve physical disk locations. unRAID recognizes drives by serial number and should put everything right. This was not the case in the 4.x days. unRAID used to tie the slot to the slot / channel. It is much better now, so long as you never have 2 drives with the same SN (which should never happen).

Just seems scary to just take the pc apart without noting which drive goes to which sata slot / addon card... maybe I should at least note where the parity drive goes?

Just seems scary to just take the pc apart without noting which drive goes to which sata slot / addon card... maybe I should at least note where the parity drive goes?

Not necessary => UnRAID tracks ALL of your drives by serial number.    You can simply move everything to the new case; plug all the drives in; and boot ...  and it will work just fine  :)

That is up to you :).  As has been said unRAID recognizes drives by their serial numbers, and not by where they have been plugged in.

As long as your config directory is intact there is no need to track. But if you were to need to build a new flash drive from scratch, a printout of what drives are assigned to what slot is helpful (but not mandatory).

I bought a cheap label maker and label my drives according to the position in my Unraid array.  Best 15 quid I've ever spent.  Got 16 drive spaces in my case, all my sata/SAS cables are labeled at both ends, makes troubleshooting so much easier for the sake of a few minutes work.

Archived