Can I replace a drive remotely?

kubed_zero

I currently have a working unRAID system with a drive that's showing some bad sectors. I have an extra drive in the machine I have pre-cleared and ready to add into the array. I'd like to replace the failing drive with the extra drive I have already installed in the computer. Is there a way to do this without physical access to the machine?

Please let me know if I can be more specific or if I can give extra config information!

I do have access to the local network and to administrator Telnet sessions, I just can't physically disconnect the failing drive. What do I need to do, stop the array and reassign the failing drive as the extra pre-cleared drive?

I think that may well fail (I am not sure as I have not tried it) as the failing drive is still in the system and you need to tell unRAID to 'forget' about it first.  The following process definitely works::
  • Stop the array
  • Unassign the drive you want to stop using
  • Start the array.  It will say it is unprotected and that the removed drive is 'missing'
  • Stop the array
  • Assign the replacement drive you want to use.  You will now be told that starting the array will initiate a rebuild onto that drive
  • Start the array and the drive will be rebuilt.

Note that for the rebuild to be perfect unRAID requires all other drives to be fine.

During the rebuild you should still be able to access the contents of the drive being replaced as unRAID will be emulating it from the contents of parity and the other data disks.  Many people prefer to not add/update files on the replacement disk while a rebuild is in progress just in case something goes wrong (so the old drive is has the same files for recovery purposes).  However unRAID does not enforce this restriction.

As long as you can access the Web GUI okay, and the new (replacement) drive is already connected to a SATA port in the system, you can easily do what you want.  But you do need to first unassign the failed drive and Start the array so it shows as missing; then Stop it and assign the replacement.

Just follow the steps outlined by itimpi above and it should work fine.

Archived