Upgrade....Switch from AMD to Intel

tboggie

Hi All,

My home server currently runs 20 drives, mostly 3 x 4TBs and i have included two diagrams below which shows my current setup and planned setup.  As you can see, my current set up is not the best and while i am fully aware this is far from the most convenient setup, it has been working smoothly for a while and i didn't want to touch it

Unfortunately (or fortunately), i updated Plex server to the latest version on Thursday and since then, no one outside my network has been able to access the Plex server.

I tried to resolve this issue yesterday but after spending 2 hours trying to sort out the port forwarding issue, i gave up and i thought maybe it is time to sort out my set up and have unraid running all addons\apps

Please any suggestions on the best way to achieve this?

Current parts:

Motherboard - Asus M5A78L-M LX V2

CPU - AMD Sempron 145 OEM Processor

RAM - Patriot Signature 4GB DDR3

CASE - Antec Twelve Hundred V3

Hotswap Caddy - 4 x XCase 5 in 3 Hotswap Caddy V2

PSU - Corsair TX950W

Sata Controller - 2 x SuperMicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

unRAID version: 5.0.5

Here is the list of parts I have come up with to replace the cpu, mb & ram. Any good?

Intel i5 4460

Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB)

Gigabyte Z97P-D3

0bWTIoE.jpg

3YCJlTG.jpg

A DRAMATIC improvement !!

You're moving from a CPU that scores 806 on PassMark to one that scores 6677 => more than 8 times the CPU "horsepower"  :)

I presume you're aware that you're also moving from a micro-ATX motherboard to a full size ATX board => not a problem with the case you have; but I hope you kept the unused standoffs from your original build, as you'll need a few more than you're currently using to mount the ATX board.

Thanks Gary. Yes, I have the unused standoffs.

I have been reading up on Docker and it looks like the best solution. I also found a docker installation guide on the forum and it looks pretty straightforward.

Planned steps to complete the setup:

• Upgrade MB, CPU & RAM

• Upgrade UnRAID to latest Version

• Complete Docker installation with gfjardim's Repository(This repository includes most of the apps i'm interested in)

• Complete each application config

Please can you let me know if I have missed anything?

You are using XBMC with Plex.. presumably with PleXBMC?

I have found that upgrading PMS past 0.9.11.7 can cause issues as the PleXBMC plugin is still being developed to work with new Plex features.  For this reason I downloaded the 0.9.11.7 version for unRAID from Plex website rather than using other plugins or dockers I've seen here on the forum.

This is working fine for me with plugin.video.plexbmc-amber_pecinko-3.5.5 and Amber skin.

I downloaded the 0.9.11.7 version for unRAID from Plex website rather than using other plugins or dockers I've seen here on the forum.

This is easy to do using Needo's Plex Docker, just create a "VERSION" env variable in the unRAID gui and set the value to "0.9.11.7".

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All...Just thought I'd update

I completed the upgrade last week with all apps installed.

It's really convenient having an all-in-one server...My next plan is to install a vm with win7 so i can retire my PC.

Thanks all  :)

Upgrade:

AMD Sempron 145 >> Intel Core i5 3470T

Asus M5A78L-M LX V2 >> Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H

Patriot Signature 4GB DDR3 >> Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16GB (2x8GB)

unRAID version: 5.0.5 >> 6.0-beta14b

Apps: sabnzbd\sickbeard\deluge\Madsonic\PlexMediaServer\Tonido

QWA3mMW.png

Archived