powerdown causing WOL to stop working

loady

I am able to WOL my server but i think that powering down the server via the web GUI is stopping me from starting it up again, almost as if was shutdown improperly which would cause the LAN to be unpowered therefore not able to receive the magic packet...i am accessing the server remotley so when i get someone to physically turn the server on i always find the server has started a parity check, im wondering if pressing the power button on the front of the server is shutting down the server to a ppont beyond where i can wake it..seems to start fine when i power down via GUI.

I am able to WOL my server but i think that powering down the server via the web GUI is stopping me from starting it up again, almost as if was shutdown improperly which would cause the LAN to be unpowered therefore not able to receive the magic packet...i am accessing the server remotley so when i get someone to physically turn the server on i always find the server has started a parity check, im wondering if pressing the power button on the front of the server is shutting down the server to a ppont beyond where i can wake it..seems to start fine when i power down via GUI.

If I read this correctly, you (or someone) is shutdown the server by using the power button in the computer case.  Are you just pressing the button momentarily (about 1 second) --or-- are you holding it down until the power goes off?  The momentary push starts the powerdown script running, the hold-down of the power button is a forced shutdown which basically the same thing as pulling the plug from the wall!

no its not being held down, i understand that a held down power button is essentially the same as a power failure..it is just being briefly pressed, what is a bit confusing is that when i have it started up physically by someone after not being able WOL it starts doing a parity check as if it was shut down improperly.

no its not being held down, i understand that a held down power button is essentially the same as a power failure..it is just being briefly pressed, what is a bit confusing is that when i have it started up physically by someone after not being able WOL it starts doing a parity check as if it was shut down improperly.

Well, all the symptoms indicated that it IS being shutdown improperly!

The problem is to figure out WHY?  Let me ask some questions?

1-- Give us some additional information on your system like what version of unRAID are you running and what motherboard are you using.  Is the BIOS on that board the latest one? 

2-- Do you have the dlandon's Powerdown package install?  It has some extra  provisions that help assure that the server gets shutdown properly.  There are versions for both 5 and 6.  Here is the link for Powerdown:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=31735.0

There are two versions of the software, one for version 5 and one of version 6.  Be sure to get the right one!  (You have to read the first post carefully to find the proper one!) 

3-- Look on the root of your flashdrive, if you are using UnRAID version 6, have a look on the flash drive and on the root of the drive, see if you have folder named 'logs'.  Normally, the system creates a syslog when the system shuts down.  If you have one for when someone pushed the power button, attach it!  You have them only for the normal shutdown from the GUI, that tells you for certain that the powerdown was abnormal.  (What I am not certain is if dlandon's powerdown plugin is the only one that writes the log...)

Is it always doing a parity check when you start, or only sometimes? If it is always doing a parity check then maybe unRAID has decided your flash drive is read-only due to corruption and so it can't write the run status to config/super.dat

Check your syslog for any lines about FAT, or just post it for us to look.

thanks fellas, i am doing this remotely so i hope it is adequate. I cant see a folder called 'logs' on the root of the flash, i do however have a folder called 'log' which i think i had created with command line sometime back when i was having trouble, all the of log is dated back in april so it is of no use, i am sure i installed the powerdown script but looking through the plugin folder i cant see any reference to the plugin script so i am going to do it again, maybe when i was having trouble i did a fresh install of unraid and didnt reinstall it ?...i assumed that if it was shutting down when pressing the power button then powerdown script was present and working ?..the only log i have is the one from the GUI which i have attached. i am also going to install the script again.

forgot to add the syslog which is now present in a folder called logs, this wasnt there prior to installing the powerdown script, just got the ex wife to press the power button and i was able to restart, also found out that it wasnt switching off and she was long pressing it...i had already asked her this !!...no wonder we seperated lol...so it would seem that it was the powerdown script not being present was the problem.

syslog.zip

Archived