Which SATA port is connected to a specific drive?

xtrips

Hello,

I have to replace a failing drive, so I know its brand, model and serial, but my drives are rather difficult to access and I do not want to go the trial and error route.

Where is the info about the mapping of the drives?

My NAS has 6 SATA ports onboard and 4 more from a PCI extension board.

If I could pinpoint the SATA origin I would find my drive easily.

Thanks for the help

Where is the info about the mapping of the drives?
It's not easy to figure out unless you are very well versed in reading syslogs. I suggest you zip and post a syslog, and hopefully RobJ will take a look at it and weigh in. He seems to have a knack with figuring that sort of thing out.

(a)  Spin down all your drives

(b)  Using Windows Explorer, access the failed drive and copy a file from it to your PC (You can delete it after you've done it)

At this point, the drive you want to replace will be the ONLY drive spinning.  Touch your drives with your fingers and you should be able to feel the rotation of the one that's spinning.

(a)  Spin down all your drives

(b)  Using Windows Explorer, access the failed drive and copy a file from it to your PC (You can delete it after you've done it)

At this point, the drive you want to replace will be the ONLY drive spinning.  Touch your drives with your fingers and you should be able to feel the rotation of the one that's spinning.

LOL

I love it.

Will do.

Depending on how isolated the drive mounts are, there's a chance the vibration be hard to exactly isolate -- but you should certainly be able to narrow it down to either the correct drive or one next to it.    I suspect you'll be able to pinpoint it exactly, but just be sure you confirm that it matches the brand/model/serial # you're looking for.

When I built my unRaid box, I labeled the drives with disk # and made a spreadsheet (which sits in a manilla envelope taped on the inside of the side cover) that in addition to disk number, adds the port #, date added, serial & model numbers. :) It has been a life saver more than once.

In version 1 of the spreadsheet I also kept track of the date a disk was retired... but over time I found out I didn't care once the disk was out and gone lol.

Archived