Grey Triangle on Drive and Missing Parity Check Funtion

Hello

I noticed a Grey Triangle on one of my Drives today, also noticing that there is no option at the bottom to do a Parity Check and on the dashboard under Parity Status it says Data is invalid. I don't even know where to start here, and I am not even sure what the Grey Triangle is for. Any help on where to go from here would be a big help. I just updated to Unraid 6 RC3 today.

Thank you

syslog.txt.zip

Screen_1.jpg.5a97d48291907d022b1ed6a7754d4875.jpg

Screen_2.jpg.f8ea5aee95952a7fe4679be148321e42.jpg

Screen_3.jpg.246fa94e592b54e281f18d877427967a.jpg

I believe that it means that the drive was redballed, but you've now restarted the system.  unRaid is currently "emulating" that drive using all of the other data drives and the parity drive.

You should probably post  the smart-report for that drive.

I've been puzzling over the "grey triangle" indicator. I've seen this in other threads recently and just did a search.

I think maybe the color just indicates the drive is spun down. According to the mouseover legend, a yellow triangle means the drive is being reconstructed. That is the only thing that is listed in the legend as a triangle. Array Operation doesn't indicate a rebuild though.

The official v6 manual doesn't actually say anything about the shape, just the color of the indicators. I'm pretty sure these were all balls in v5 and the triangle shape is new and was not part of the gui on v5.

I think it does probably mean the disk is disabled. I wonder what would happen if you clicked the "spin up" arrow next to the indicator. Would it spin up and then become a red ball?

I've been puzzling over the "grey triangle" indicator. I've seen this in other threads recently and just did a search.

I think maybe the color just indicates the drive is spun down. According to the mouseover legend, a yellow triangle means the drive is being reconstructed. That is the only thing that is listed in the legend as a triangle. Array Operation doesn't indicate a rebuild though.

The official v6 manual doesn't actually say anything about the shape, just the color of the indicators. I'm pretty sure these were all balls in v5 and the triangle shape is new and was not part of the gui on v5.

I think it does probably mean the disk is disabled. I wonder what would happen if you clicked the "spin up" arrow next to the indicator. Would it spin up and then become a red ball?

I've tried the spin up and it doesn't do anything either. Not sure what way to go here with this, scared of losing data.

Smart looks good.  Not sure why the drive would've been red-balled however.  If you've got the powerdown plugin installed, then there should be the previous logs stored on the flashdrive (/logs) that might shed some light on the situation.

If not, then you'll just have to go ahead and rebuild the drive onto itself.

1.  Stop The Array

2.  Set that disk to be not-installed

3.  Start the array

4.  Stop the array

5.  Set the disk back to be what its supposed to be

6.  Start the array.

It will begin to rebuild onto itself.  You data is still safe

Smart looks good.  Not sure why the drive would've been red-balled however.  If you've got the powerdown plugin installed, then there should be the previous logs stored on the flashdrive (/logs) that might shed some light on the situation.

If not, then you'll just have to go ahead and rebuild the drive onto itself.

1.  Stop The Array

2.  Set that disk to be not-installed

3.  Start the array

4.  Stop the array

5.  Set the disk back to be what its supposed to be

6.  Start the array.

It will begin to rebuild onto itself.  You data is still safe

Thanks Squid. I did what you said and it is rebuilding the disk now, I will report back to let you know how it all worked out.

Cheers.

Thank you for the reply. That is totally possible as I didn't notice until after a reboot so not sure if it was red or not before.

Here is the smart report.

You should set up the notifications so that unRaid will tell you these things automatically (email)

Triangles are used in two situations:

red: disk is in error, and is being emulated

yellow: disk content is being reconstructed

A disk which is spun up can have either a red or yellow triangle, but when the particular disk is spun down it changes into a grey triangle for both cases.

This is new in v6 and was introduced to aid the color blind by giving different shapes to red/yellow and green situations.

A disk which is spun up can have either a red or yellow triangle, but when the particular disk is spun down it changes into a grey triangle for both cases.

This is new in v6 and was introduced to aid the color blind by giving different shapes to red/yellow and green situations.

I am not sure the colors chosen are very effective then?  Also I think there should be a difference between a drive being reconstructed and one which is currently in error and needs action to be taken.

I do not see how a disk that is being reconstructed can ever be spun down, so surely that case can only ever be yellow?

This implies that currently a grey triangle ALWAYS means a disk is in error.  It might be grey because it has been spun down, or because it was never correctly recognised in the first place (and thus not spun up).  The grey is very easy to miss so there should be some other more obvious indication of an error.  Something like a red exclamation mark or x perhaps.

I am not sure the colors chosen are very effective then?  Also I think there should be a difference between a drive being reconstructed and one which is currently in error and needs action to be taken.

I do not see how a disk that is being reconstructed can ever be spun down, so surely that case can only ever be yellow?

This implies that currently a grey triangle ALWAYS means a disk is in error.  It might be grey because it has been spun down, or because it was never correctly recognised in the first place (and thus not spun up).  The grey is very easy to miss so there should be some other more obvious indication of an error.  Something like a red exclamation mark perhaps.

Another approach can be to leave the red triangle always red, regardless of spin status, that would keep the attention!

Another approach can be to leave the red triangle always red, regardless of spin status, that would keep the attention!

Agreed, but since one of the stated aims was to help those with color blindness I still think that a rebuild deserves a different shape to a genuine error that needs attention.

Agreed, but since one of the stated aims was to help those with color blindness I still think that a rebuild deserves a different shape to a genuine error that needs attention.

I can introduce a yellow "diamond" shape, see attachment ...

yellow_diamond2.png.8b1d0f7483bcabf5e44153fcbd765e90.png

yellow_diamond.png.b4b428a118b27588cfbe88d2a782b314.png

The yellow diamond seems a good idea.

I think that you should look for something other than the red square for the device disabled/error state.  If colour blind that it is not obviously different to the grey square for an unallocated device.    Something like a bold red 'x' or a no-entry type symbol might be a good choice for an error indication.

I have not had an errors recently on my array or I might have said something sooner!  I expect that is true for many users.

I updated the image and it shows now a triangle for a disk in error (emulated) and a square for a disabled disk (see my earlier post).

Since I am not colorblind, it's hard for me to judge whether it is difficult to distinghish a red and grey square, perhaps somebody can comment ?

Btw the no device present only appears when the array is off-line.

I updated the image and it shows now a triangle for a disk in error (emulated) and a square for a disabled disk (see my earlier post).

Sounds like a good idea.

Since I am not colorblind, it's hard for me to judge whether it is difficult to distinghish a red and grey square, perhaps somebody can comment ?
I am in the same position as you so my arguments are purely from a theoretical viewpoint as well.  I certainly like to see 'red' for error states if at all possible, and 'yellow/orange' for caution/warning states.

Btw the no device present only appears when the array is off-line.
  Had not realised that, so my comment about the grey and red squares getting confused should not apply.

Is the image too small to be effective with an "X"? I think that conveys trouble a bit better than triangles or squares or moons or horshoes.

I like a red X, either over or near, but not positive it's the best idea.

I've called others to join this discussion, as I feel it's too important not to get right, and hopefully settled before v6 goes final.  It would be really confusing to have it change again later, to see a color and shape mean different things depending on version.