Sybase sd-pex40054

bilbo6209

Hey guys,

Looking at the wiki it looks like the Sybase sd-pex40054 pcie sata controller card is compatible with UnRaid, but I am having  issues...  I purchased 3 additional drives for cache drives,  because I plan on running 3 VMs and a few dockers, so I moved my 1 1tb cache and the 3 new drives to the Syba sd-pex40054 this evening, it appears all drives are spinning, the Syba sees all cards but UnRaid 6 rc3 doesnt appear to see the drives. I see my 6 other drives but under cache it is listed as no device and 1 slots.  I know some sata cards need you to tweak some files I  order for UnRaid to see the cards,  is the Syba one of these cards, or am I just doomed to have my server fight me at every turn?

My Array has 6 disks including the parity, if I stop the array and go to disk 7 and try to add a disk the drop down is empty UnRaid isn't seeing the 4 disks attached to the card. I went to Tools > System Devices and it shows the Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9230 PCIe SATA 6Gb/s Controller (this is the chipset on the Syba card), so the server is seeing the card. Under SCSI Devices there are only the 6 disks attached to the stat ports on the mother board listed.

Sorry, Yes I meant the Syba card bios sees all 4 attached drives

This sentence on the card's info page makes me wonder if it's a card config issue.

"Marvell utility does not support JBOD, however you can setup JBOD using Disk Management utilities."

Are you sure you have removed any assignment in the card's bios to manage the drives? Or, it may be counter-intuitive and require each drive to be assigned to its own pool in the card's bios.

It would be nice to compare notes with someone who actually has this card working in unraid.

Maybe there are bios firmware differences as well.

hmm Jonathanm that might be a good catch, per Amazon and NewEgg and the users manual it is listed as supporting JBOD, but in the bios config you only have the option of setting up 0, 1, 10 or unassigned, there is no option for jbod if unassigned the disks do not show up in UnRaid. But the card is listed as working for disks under 2.2gb in the UnRaid wiki. Just to play, I created a raid 10 array and it shows up in UnRaid and can be added to either the Cache or array but this kind of defeats the purpose of building a cache pool.

OK If this card is a piece and needs to be sent back, what card should I get... I need 4 ports, PCIe x8 or less prefer x4 or higher and would rather not spend too much as I have already bought 6 new drives for a "simple" upgrade lol

Bill

Archived