CrashPlan

agw

Edit your go script to check for / loop until the array is up and running. Then kick off all your bolt on installs.

Yeah, thanks. I ended up making a script that checks if the array is up then launches crashplan if it is not already running and will also stop crashplan if the array goes down. Have it as a cron every minute. Not the best way I imagine but it seems to work for now. It would be really nice if unraid had certain start and stop scripts it would run, one after the array comes up and another right before taking the array down. Maybe there is hope for future versions?

Exactly this is allegedly coming in v5.

I wouldn't make bets on when that will be though.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you're going through all that to make sure crashplan doesn't run if the array is down, why not install it on the array?

Sure it might be a bit slower and that drive/parity will be spun up more than before but you'd get rid of the pesky software update repackage routine.

Better yet, you could put it on the cache drive.  Is there a standard way to exclude a directory from the mover scrip?

Gog

If you're going through all that to make sure crashplan doesn't run if the array is down, why not install it on the array?

Sure it might be a bit slower and that drive/parity will be spun up more than before but you'd get rid of the pesky software update repackage routine.

Better yet, you could put it on the cache drive.  Is there a standard way to exclude a directory from the mover scrip?

Gog

I believe if you create a directory (top level...not sure if sub dirs are counted, I'd hope  not!) with a period '.' as the first character (unix hidden file style) it will be ignored.

I've not tested this though and I think some iterations of the mover script have broken this, but the current mover script looks to honour it!

Easy to test I guess.

The mover script is just a wrapper round some rsync commands so would be easy enough to edit to forcefully exclude certain paths if need be!

If you search for my post in the Customization Forum in the unmenu 1.3 beta thread you will find where I attached an addon that will add a button to the user scripts page.  if Crashplan is installed all you need to do is push that button and it will rename the old tar file, and re-tar all the new stuff for you.

• 4 months later...

From your syslog you have 1GB ram?

It looks like you're running out of memory and the kernel oomkiller is going on a rampage killing things off - starting with java (crashplan probably?) and then moving onto emhttp and shfs.

When your box is running (freshly booted, everything running that would usually be running) what does 'free -m' return?

You might just be running too many things or you could have a log file on the ram disk running away and using up space.

I posted a new thread here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=7441.0

for some reason crashplan does not complete the physical write to the disk.

crashplan is not currently running

I have 2 gigabytes of ram.

root@Tower:~# free -m

total      used      free    shared    buffers    cached

Mem:          1993        261      1731          0          1        189

-/+ buffers/cache:        71      1921

Swap:            0          0          0

Ah sorry I forgot to add your HIMEM and LOMEM :/

It might be best not to split the thread, I'm not sure where to reply to you now!!

What does your crashplan log(s) say?

Can you write to your disks as normal?

Two suggestions spring instantly to mind :

- There is a problem with your backup and crashplan is logging at a rate of knots about it, filling up your ram disk.

- Crashplan isn't actually trying to backup to your disks as you suspect, but instead writing to somewhere on your ram disk and so the backup is going through and filling up your unraid ramdisk not your physical disks.

Start crashplan and push another backup through.

Whilst it's running run this on your unraid server :

find /mnt -mmin -1

This will search for files created or changed less than a minute ago. Adjust the granularity if you feel that's too short.

This will hopefully highlight what, if any, files are being written to during your backup and where they are.

Having another terminal open with free -m running periodically and top sorted by memory usage during the backup would also be useful.

You might also want to run find /usr -mmin 1 too to pick up changes within crashplan.

Ok, so what are the latest instructions I should use, I have a Mac also?

If I want to use unraid to back up my stuff, my parents and a few friends all to my unraid this can be done with the free version right?  Can my friends make there own folders?

Thanks

On page 3 I wrote up instructions on how to install this from the mac side.  For the SSH related stuff just install that via unmenu.

Ok, so what are the latest instructions I should use, I have a Mac also?

If I want to use unraid to back up my stuff, my parents and a few friends all to my unraid this can be done with the free version right?  Can my friends make there own folders?

Thanks

Yes - your friends / parents install crashplan on their own machines and configure your unraid server as a backup target.

What goes on behind the scenes will be transparent to both parties but you will end up with a new directory in your configured backup location based around their crashplan uid.

You'll of course need to make sure the correct firewall holes are open and you have a static or frequently updated dynamic dns entry so they can connect reliably.

See if your router supports any of the dynamic dns providers. The management interface will have a section for it if it does.

Or you can pick one and use a script from unraid to update, though how easy this is will entirely depend on your networks configuration. From trivial to difficult / impossible.

https://www.dyndns.com/ as an example of one such service - though there are many.

It will probably the Verizon router that will have dynamic dns support if available. It will be the only device that knows what your external internet facing IP is. Presuming you have NAT and not a public address per device.

I have no idea how FIOS works living in the UK.

I have Verizon FIOS, I have to use there router and I also use my Airport as my main router in the house, it has a much better signal.  I have to use Verizons for TV and of course to connect to the internet.  If I remember correctly the Apple airport is in bridge mode.

Just an FYI, this is not entirely true.  I have had FIOS (TV, internet, phone) for 4 years and have been using my own router.  In fact, I just upgraded to an Asus RT-N16 router with DD-WRT installed, and am planning to move on to pfSense when I get the time.  To handle the TV guide and search capabilities you either have to purchase a separate Motorola NIM100 (ebay), or set up the FIOS router in bridge mode.  The rest is simply a matter of spoofing your FIOS router's MAC address in your new router.  There are many guides, including here and here.

On page 3 I wrote up instructions on how to install this from the mac side.  For the SSH related stuff just install that via unmenu.

So should I use the instructions from page 3 or can I run the script you made on page 4?

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=4008.45

You need to follow the direction up until step 8.  Starting at step 8 the script will do the rest