Connecting unRAID with wireless network

dtbingle

I recently moved and now the wireless router/modem are on the first floor and my computer and unRAID box are next to each other in the basement.  For my PC, a wireless USB adapter is used.  What are my options for connecting the unRAID box to the wireless network?  Running a hard line from the router to the box is NOT an option.

I've tried sharing my wireless connection over the ethernet port, but the unRAID box didn't seem to like that unless I was just goofing it up somewhere.

I would look into powerline adapters. They allow you to use the electrical network in your house as a wired Ethernet connection. It's pretty cheap ($50-60) for 2 endpoints... one goes beside your router and one beside your UnRAID server and the devices get paired.

You are still using Ethernet out of your UnRAID server so there is no config required.

Hmm interesting.  Those do look like a good option.  Do you happen to know how their actual speeds shape up to be in relation to their rating vs. distance?  A best seller on Amazon is the TP-LINK Kit up to 500 Mbps.  Reviews look good, but I'm worried that being sort of a far distance (40 ft direct, probably 60 ft'ish running along wall electrical) and being an old house with old wiring, the signal will degrade enough to make streaming HD video from it a challenge

EDIT:  Another thought - is there a way to bridge wireless routers?  For example, if I had another wireless router, could I plug my PC and unRAID into that, and then connect the downstairs wireless router with the one upstairs near the modem?

Hmm interesting.  Those do look like a good option.  Do you happen to know how their actual speeds shape up to be in relation to their rating vs. distance?  A best seller on Amazon is the TP-LINK Kit up to 500 Mbps.  Reviews look good, but I'm worried that being sort of a far distance (40 ft direct, probably 60 ft'ish running along wall electrical) and being an old house with old wiring, the signal will degrade enough to make streaming HD video from it a challenge

EDIT:  Another thought - is there a way to bridge wireless routers?  For example, if I had another wireless router, could I plug my PC and unRAID into that, and then connect the downstairs wireless router with the one upstairs near the modem?

I am not sure about your bridging question. I had my house pre-wired when it was built, so it's a non-issue for me. I've used the powerline adapters for family and friends who want to stream video and have had really good success - even in houses 40+ years old (not sure how old yours is). I did this in my mom's house where the router was in a second floor bedroom and the plex device was in the basement and it's been flawless.

Personally I would expect better, more consistent results with a powerline adapter than wireless for streaming video. There should be no real fluctuation in the bandwidth between the devices, whereas wireless can fluctuate and screw up streaming. Also, in older houses wireless can be even more challenging.

I would suggest you find somewhere with a good return policy and try the powerline adapter. If it doesn't work for some reason then look at funky wireless setups.

Other opinions may differ, but it generally doesn't get easier than the powerline options in most cases.

I used a Netgear WN3000RP (I think) to "catch" my wifi network and feed it into a switch that I then connected to the TV, unRAID, ROKU, ... because I had a similar problem, where my modem was to far from the "entertainment" corner. In the meantime I replaced that with a powerline network as well. But both options worked well for me.

Yes, that's actually very easy.  The downside is you'll be limiting your speed to the wireless connectivity speed between the routers, which is likely a LOT less than you'll get with a powerline adapter.

If you want to try it; just disable DHCP on the bridge unit;  assign it a static IP in the same subnet as the primary router is using but outside the range that the primary router is assigning; give it an SSID of it's own (in case you want to connect wireless clients to it);  and plug in the computer you want to bridge through it (i.e. the UnRAID server) to one of the LAN ports (leave the WAN port empty).

A Gb switch won't directly help because of the topology involved ... but it IS a good idea, as it can help with the PC to UnRAID server connection.

As I understand this, the router is NOT close to the PC or UnRAID server ... it's apparently in another part of the house and "Running a hard line from the router to the box is NOT an option."

So ... I'd do one of these:

(1)  Use a good powerline adapter (the one I suggested is probably the best choice, but you could try the TP-Link unit if you don't want to spring for the Netgear) and connect it to the router on one end; and to a Gb switch downstairs, where the PC and UnRAID server are.    Plug both the UnRAID server and the PC into the switch.    This will give the UnRAID server and the PC a Gb connection between them, and will provide a high-bandwidth path to your upstairs router, so any devices directly connected to that router will also get excellent bandwidth.

(2)  If a wireless connection to the UnRAID server is good enough for whatever streaming is done from it (e.g. if there are no wired connections upstairs); then you can use a second router set up as I outlined above as a bridge unit ... position it where the UnRAID box and PC are, and plug BOTH of them into LAN ports on this router.    This will provide a wired connection between the PC and the UnRAID server ... although it will only be at the speed of the router's built-in switch (possibly only 100Mb).

(3)  Same as #2 ... but if the bridging router only has 100Gb ports, you could instead connect a Gb switch to one of the router's LAN ports; and then plug the UnRAID server and PC into that switch.    This will work just like #2, but the PC and UnRAID server will now have a Gb connection between them.

This is an excellent little Gb switch (I've got a couple of the 8-port versions of it):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127505

A Gb switch won't directly help because of the topology involved ... but it IS a good idea, as it can help with the PC to UnRAID server connection.

As I understand this, the router is NOT close to the PC or UnRAID server ... it's apparently in another part of the house and "Running a hard line from the router to the box is NOT an option."

So ... I'd do one of these:

(1)  Use a good powerline adapter (the one I suggested is probably the best choice, but you could try the TP-Link unit if you don't want to spring for the Netgear) and connect it to the router on one end; and to a Gb switch downstairs, where the PC and UnRAID server are.    Plug both the UnRAID server and the PC into the switch.    This will give the UnRAID server and the PC a Gb connection between them, and will provide a high-bandwidth path to your upstairs router, so any devices directly connected to that router will also get excellent bandwidth.

(2)  If a wireless connection to the UnRAID server is good enough for whatever streaming is done from it (e.g. if there are no wired connections upstairs); then you can use a second router set up as I outlined above as a bridge unit ... position it where the UnRAID box and PC are, and plug BOTH of them into LAN ports on this router.    This will provide a wired connection between the PC and the UnRAID server ... although it will only be at the speed of the router's built-in switch (possibly only 100Mb).

(3)  Same as #2 ... but if the bridging router only has 100Gb ports, you could instead connect a Gb switch to one of the router's LAN ports; and then plug the UnRAID server and PC into that switch.    This will work just like #2, but the PC and UnRAID server will now have a Gb connection between them.

This is an excellent little Gb switch (I've got a couple of the 8-port versions of it):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127505

Thanks for all of the suggestions and laying them out like this!  Just to restate, yes the modem and wireless router is upstairs in a room.  My PC and unRAID box are downstairs.  Running a wire between them is not an option.  The wireless adapter being used is an Edimax AC1200 USB adapter.  It's always been perfect in terms of perfect signal strength and connection speed.

Although the powerline adapter seems to be the most preferred here, a strong option for me would be getting a nice router such as the AC1900 Nighthawk.  Currently using a dlink dir-655, but as it gets older, it seems to dislike many server connections at once.  For example, downloading a file as multiple parts at the same time instead of just as one big part, it will randomly drop the connection for 20 seconds.  It doesn't act up being the only one using the internet here now, but I only expect to live here for about a year or year and a half, in which I'd like good main router then.

I'd definitely suggest the powerline adapter and a Gb switch as the best approach (i.e. Option #1 as I listed them above).    If you don't think you'll need it long term, just get the TP-Link adapter and the switch I suggested ... total cost ~ $65 and you've got effectively a wired connection to your router and a Gb connection between the PC and UnRAID server.

bkastner, didn't see your post until just now, but this is good to hear!

I'd definitely suggest the powerline adapter and a Gb switch as the best approach (i.e. Option #1 as I listed them above).    If you don't think you'll need it long term, just get the TP-Link adapter and the switch I suggested ... total cost ~ $65 and you've got effectively a wired connection to your router and a Gb connection between the PC and UnRAID server.

You all convinced me!  Although spending more money is always fun (~$200 for AC Nighthawk), the more reasonable option, as you guys said, is a powerline adapter and gigabit switch for ~ $70 total.

Received the two items and installed the powerline adapter.  However, it's acting very strange now.  It takes a long time to boot up and after connected, I can still access the box, but not via the 'tower' name, but by internal IP (192.168.0.xxx).  Second, in my router connections page, it shows that tower is connected with and IP, but does NOT show my motherboard (for web interface).  Normally, it'd be one apart, such as 192.168.101 for motherboard and .102 for tower.

Another weird thing is that when a monitor and keyboard are plugged in during bootup, the screen stays black for quite some time until it gives the option to choose the unRAID OS and a few other diagnostic tools.  It never pops up the motherboard page with options to go into BIOS.  Additionally, on start my fan speed starts at full and then after passing the first motherboard post pages, it will ramp down to what I have the speeds set at....this never happens and keeps the fans on full forever.

Any ideas?

EDIT:  Forgot to mention that the TP LINK powerline adapter isn't the best, but will do for now.  When transferring files from NAS to PC (both from a switch connected to a powerline adapter), it maintains about 12 MB/s which is like 96 Mbps.  Not great, but good enough for concurrently streaming and downloading on my 15 Mbps/1 Mbps connection.

Never tested it directly to wireless router, but I did try booting the box with nothing in the ethernet port and it still seemed to boot funny.

But the setup is:

Upstairs

ISP Connection -> Modem -> Modem Internet Port  to Wireless Router Internet Port -> Wireless Router Ethernet Slot 1 -> Main Powerline Adapter (calling it 'main' just to distinguish from the other end)

Downstairs

Secondary Powerline Adapter -> Switch's Ethernet Port 1

Switch's Ethernet Port 2 -> PC

Switch's Ethernet Port 3 -> unRAID Box

It's strange because this started happening after moving the box from my parent's house to my grandma's house.  The unRAID tower was put into original case packaging with foam and carefully tended to - never dropped or roughly handled, so I highly doubt it was damaged in this way.  At this time, the only plan so far is to:

1)  pull CMOS battery and reset mobo config

2)  temporarily test box directly hooked up to wireless router

The topology looks good, with one exception ...

You said:

...  tower is connected with and IP, but does NOT show my motherboard (for web interface).  Normally, it'd be one apart, such as 192.168.101 for motherboard and .102 for tower.

I imply from this that your system has an IPMI port (the motherboard IP).  Do you also have this connected to the switch?

In the past I used powerline and it worked OK. Streaming some high bitrate material had occasional buffering during fast scenes (bitrate peak)

I also used moca adapters and they were more reliable. They are similar to powerline but instead use the coax connector (cable tv).

They both work, but my experience was better with moca. Plus, if your house wiring is old, powerline may not work as well. With coax there is less expected interference

The topology looks good, with one exception ...

I imply from this that your system has an IPMI port (the motherboard IP).  Do you also have this connected to the switch?

Ahhh yes, it does have an IPMI port - this could be it.  Here's the link to my board:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157466

One question though.  Before moving, I had only one ethernet line connected and both the motherboard and 'tower' interface worked.  Should it be plugged into the IPMI LAN port or one of the gigabit LAN ports or both?

From reading on this forum, it sounds like if the IPMI isn't connected, it falls back on one of the gigabit LAN ports, but usually only one of the two gigabit LAN ports.  My thought is that I had it plugged into let's say LAN port 1, which the IPMI 'falls back' on, and after moving, plugged back into LAN port 2, which it doesn't.  This is all theory though haha

I suspect that's likely.  You could either add a 2nd Ethernet cable from the PC's IPMI port to the switch (probably the best choice) or you could simply move the existing cable to the other LAN port on the board, which is likely the "fallback" IPMI port, and would then also work.

I suspect that's your entire issue.

After connecting both the IPMI and a gigabit port, it still was acting weird.  However, after pulling the CMOS battery, everything went back to normal.  The motherboard settings (at least fan speed) actually applied instead of running full speed and the motherboard webGUI is now accessible.  Everything seems to be back to normal except that you can't access it via the 'tower' name and you have to use '192.168.0.xxx'.  How do you correct this?

Archived