Issues in starting my VM's

EdgarWallace

I was passing through my NVIDIA Quadro 2000 card as well as the DVB Adapter successful up to rc3. Here are the devices that are causing the issue:

PCI Devices

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF106GL [Quadro 2000] (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF106 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)

IOMMU Groups

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/1/devices/0000:01:00.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/1/devices/0000:01:00.1
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/15/devices/0000:05:00.0

The attachment is showing the VM Manager settings.

Whenever I'm trying to start the VM's I'm getting an error message:

Error: internal error: early end of file from monitor: possible problem:
2015-06-09T08:33:27.826637Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on: vfio: failed to set iommu for container: Operation not permitted
2015-06-09T08:33:27.826666Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on: vfio: failed to setup container for group 1
2015-06-09T08:33:27.826673Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on: vfio: failed to get group 1
2015-06-09T08:33:27.826683Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on: Device initialization failed
2015-06-09T08:33:27.826691Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on: Device 'vfio-pci' could not be initialized

Diagnostics attached....any advise is appreciated. Thanks a lot.

P.S. I was also using the rc3/rc4 Media Tree kernel (..in order to see the TVHeadend Docker) - still no luck

[EDIT]

P.S. 2: wrong forum, can the moderator move this into KVM or General Support please?

P.S. 3: ...this is all about my Test&Backup Server (see my sig.)

The exact same setup/HW/devices have been used for a VDR (passed through the Digital Devices DVB Adapter S2 V6.5 and the Afatech AF9015 DVB-T USB stick) solution based on Ubuntu (yaVDR that created via ISO file per VM Manager) and a unVM openElec VM that had the NVIDIA card being passed through. I was able to watch TV that the VDR streamed towards the openElec VM just fine.

Looking forward to your tests. Thanks a lot CHBMB

Does rolling back to the prev working RC solve the problem?

Might be worth trying the non-mediabuild files as well to remove that confounding the results.

Other than that I suppose what I'd do next is create a new VM and see if that works.

Let me try to modify the unVM by using the approach that you provided in your link. Creating a new VM was not successful. Using the media build or not is not making any difference....since rc3 no passthrough.

I'm going to report back...

I think the approach I used is just for NICs.  I can't test the way you use because as soon as I remove the syslinux.cfg Unraid snatchs up and uses the card for it's own purposes and then I can't pass it through.

Just to rule it out (I've had to do this prior multiple times), did you try completely powering down, removing power, hitting the power button (to drain residual power), waiting like 10 seconds, then powering back on?..

I've had both my tuner and my GPU lock into a state that only a complete drained power cycle would fix.

Edgar, does rolling back to RC3 fix the problem?  The RC3 files are still downloadable from the link in my sig, mediabuild only though, although I do have a copy of the RC3 Limetech release on my laptop, if you need it can upload it if that helps.  Currently on my phone at work.

The issue was my syslinux.cfg. This is what my machine requires:

append pcie_acs_override=downstream vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 initrd=/bzroot

I have now TVHeadend running with the passed through Digital Devices DVB Adapter and the Afatech AF9015 DVB-T USB stick.

unVM openElec is running with a passed through NVIDIA 2000 GPU, a VRC-1100 Vista MCE Remote Control and a wireless keyboard.

All is running well, but can't be restarted. I have to reboot the server!! Here is a warning that I see on the SysDevd page:

Warning: Your system has booted with the PCIe ACS Override setting enabled. The below list doesn't not reflect the way IOMMU would naturally group devices. To see natural IOMMU groups for your hardware, go to the VM Settings page and set the PCIe ACS Override setting to No.

Archived