Why are drive prices rising?

SSD

I have noticed over the past 6-8 months or so, that drive prices are generally rising - at least for the drives I am interested in buying. And I see fewer and fewer sale prices. I went searching for the reasons why and found the following article that explains it very simply - demand is increasing faster than supply. Thought it was a somewhat interesting read and would share with the forum.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

http://www.infostor.com/storage-management/is-the-era-of-cheap-disk-storage-over-1.html

Demand certainly seems on the rise, but the prices are still VERY low relative to what they were not very many years ago.    Just bought an 8TB Seagate for $240 about ten days ago, which was a great price, and just ordered a pair of 4TB WD Reds a couple days ago for $160 each, which isn't a bad price at all.  Today I just ordered a 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD for $160, which is a GREAT price for that large an SSD [a good enough price that I bought it even though I have no current need for it  :) ].

I guess it depends on your expectations, but I don't think prices are likely to rise to anything I'd call "expensive".  The article you referenced is more focused on REALLY large storage requirements that are far beyond the drives typically used in UnRAID.    Few users of UnRAID have such large storage requirements that they'll be considering moving to tape-based systems for the ultra-high densities these can provide (as the article suggests will likely happen in enterprise storage environments).