'Done' button operation

Squid

Not sure if this is feasible to do. :-\

With Reset all fields return to their value prior to the change and before Apply, but certain pages have fields/dropdowns enabled or disabled depending on the setting of another variable in the list. These are specific and individual cases which can not be captured in a single global action, which is required to make all pages work consistenly in the same manner.

After Apply you can't Reset, so Reset could just reload the page from the current settings.

Why cant you reset?  In my mind reset loads default values

With Reset all fields return to their value prior to the change and before Apply, but certain pages have fields/dropdowns enabled or disabled depending on the setting of another variable in the list. These are specific and individual cases which can not be captured in a single global action, which is required to make all pages work consistenly in the same manner.

After Apply you can't Reset, so Reset could just reload the page from the current settings.

Reset means "I don't really want to make those changes, put them back the way they were".

There are some pages that do have a "Default" button on the bottom left such as Display Settings.  But even after clicking this you can still click Reset to restore settings the way the were before (provided you haven't clicked Apply).

Reset means "I don't really want to make those changes, put them back the way they were".

There are some pages that do have a "Default" button on the bottom left such as Display Settings.  But even after clicking this you can still click Reset to restore settings the way the were before (provided you haven't clicked Apply).

Not sure why 'Cancel' does not mean discard the changes.    The word 'Reser' certainly does not convey that feeling to me.  If I saw it in a UI my intuitive feeling would be that some sort of defaults were being applied - not that I was undoing any changes made and reverting to my previous settings.

I looked at the change in behaviour where Done is changed to Cancel when there are changes that would be discarded and it felt intuitive and very representative of what action would be happen when the button was clicked.

Not sure why 'Cancel' does not mean discard the changes.    The word 'Reser' certainly does not convey that feeling to me.  If I saw it in a UI my intuitive feeling would be that some sort of defaults were being applied - not that I was undoing any changes made and reverting to my previous settings.

I looked at the change in behaviour where Done is changed to Cancel when there are changes that would be discarded and it felt intuitive and very representative of what action would be happen when the button was clicked.

I agree.  Without knowing how the system works or what the designers intended, Reset to me means reset back to defaults.  A Default button is the same thing.

Cancel to me means cancel the changes if I have not applied them and exit the page.  If I have already applied the changes, then I expect cancel to merely exit the page - not reapply the settings that I had once I entered the page.

At least that's how my brain works.

Been thinking about this.  If it is simple to make the change in the behaviour of the Done button switching between Done/Cancel depending on whether unsaved changes exist, maybe it is something that could be rolled into a beta release and then a poll done to get feedback on what the testers think?

I came here to start this thread but found everyone is way ahead of me.  It's all been said, but I want to add a +1

To many people "Done" means "I'm done making my changes".  When I first encountered it I thought it was the Windows "OK" button re-labeled for the sake of being different.  For it to discard those changes is totally counter-intuitive..   

Call it "Cancel" or "Back" or use some incomprehensible hieroglyphic if you must be different (like google  :D), but PLEASE don't call it "Done" if it discards changes.

I came here to start this thread but found everyone is way ahead of me.  It's all been said, but I want to add a +1

To many people "Done" means "I'm done making my changes".  When I first encountered it I thought it was the Windows "OK" button re-labeled for the sake of being different.  For it to discard those changes is totally counter-intuitive..   

Call it "Cancel" or "Back" or use some incomprehensible hieroglyphic if you must be different (like google  :D), but PLEASE don't call it "Done" if it discards changes.

Have you looked at how the settings in community applications work?  Is it confusing or an improvement?

Have you looked at how the settings in community applications work?  Is it confusing or an improvement?

I have not... I don't use (and am annoyed by all of the development time spent on) VMs or Dockers or whatever.  I just want a rock solid media server!  >:(              ;D

I will check it out though because the "Done" button annoys me every time I see it even though I know to mentally translate it to "Cancel".

I have not... I don't use (and am annoyed by all of the development time spent on) VMs or Dockers or whatever.  I just want a rock solid media server!  >:(              ;D

What exactly is not 'rock solid' for you?  No sense in complaining without giving a reason for the complaining.

What exactly is not 'rock solid' for you?  No sense in complaining without giving a reason for the complaining.

Sorry to go off topic.  I didn't say it wasn't rock solid for me.    I don't have any complaints at the moment, just trying to offer feedback on counter-intuitive UI elements like the "Done" button so that new users don't have to figure out that it really means "cancel".

The gripe in passing was about the years spent fiddling with distractions (IMO) like all of the virtualization stuff.  It's cool and exciting, which is the last thing I want in a file server.  There is nothing better than UNRAID for my purposes though, so all I could do was gripe and install community created scripts like cache-dirs and UPS support to fill in the missing core features while the years of reliable file serving ticked by.

It has been fairly solid for me for 6 years now.    I have only lost data once due to doing a "correcting" parity check instead of "non-correcting".  Like "Done", "Correcting" actually means the opposite of "correcting" since it only served to incorporate corrupted data from a failing drive into the previously correct parity.  With help from these forums I recovered most of my data and learned the hard way that blindly doing a "correcting" parity check is unwise at best.

I like the Done <-> Cancel button switching. Simple and removes the confusion.

I kind of like the idea of the Apply taking the user back to the originating page except that there are settings pages with multiple sections and multiple Apply buttons and it doesn't make sense on those pages.

The Reset with reloading the page just seems like it would be confusing and is being overly complicated. It does add the element of not knowing for sure what "Reset" means. Cancel is clear but Reset vague and reloading a page just seems dumb. If I Cancel and then want to change after all I just click and go back to the settings page. Windows does the same type of thing - no Reset there.