[SOLVED] Dynamix cache_dirs will not start

danioj

Hi Guys,

I have just decided to deploy cache_dis Dynamic plugin. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to get it to start. I set all the options flicked the switch to enabled and hit Apply. Nothing, the status just remains on Stopped.

The only line generated in the syslog for any of the actions I did is this one:

Jul 4 10:11:36 main emhttp: /usr/bin/tail -n 42 -f /var/log/syslog 2>&1

I have attached a screenshot of my settings (Scroll to the right to see the "Stopped" status). Has anyone experienced this or can see where I have gone wrong?

Thanks

Daniel

Screen_Shot_2015-07-04_at_11_16.28_am.png.1503ab7b25bbe663a11804710c817c0e.png

I can't say what technically triggers the status to show 'running' or 'stopped', but CacheDirs only runs when the array is started, then stops when the array is stopped.  There's nothing for it to do if the array isn't running.

It's usually always best to fill only one of the Include/Exclude boxes, and that's especially true I think for CacheDirs.  Forget the Excludes, and just select what you want Included.

I can't say what technically triggers the status to show 'running' or 'stopped', but CacheDirs only runs when the array is started, then stops when the array is stopped.  There's nothing for it to do if the array isn't running.

It's usually always best to fill only one of the Include/Exclude boxes, and that's especially true I think for CacheDirs.  Forget the Excludes, and just select what you want Included.

That all makes sense. Only issue is, my Array is running. Ill restart it and see if it does anything ....

EDIT: Well, that confirms it. It wasn't running. This was in the Array shutdown notification.

cache_dirs not running!Stopping Docker...s3_sleep not running!Stopping libvirt...Stop AVAHI...Stop NFS...Stop SMB...Spinning up all drives...Sync filesystems...

I can't say what technically triggers the status to show 'running' or 'stopped', but CacheDirs only runs when the array is started, then stops when the array is stopped.

That all makes sense. Only issue is, my Array is running. Ill restart it and see if it does anything ....

I believe it is only triggered on the event signifying that the array is now started, so if the array was already running, it was too late for that event, wouldn't see it.  It will see that event when the array next starts.

I can't say what technically triggers the status to show 'running' or 'stopped', but CacheDirs only runs when the array is started, then stops when the array is stopped.

I believe it is only triggered on the event signifying that the array is now started, so if the array was already running, it was too late for that event, wouldn't see it.  It will see that event when the array next starts.

Enabling / Disabling the function on the settings page also start / stop the cache_dirs script in the background. Though it only becomes active when the array is started.

A system reboot or a manual stop/start of the array triggers the activation (read: cache_dirs starts caching).

Well, I got to the bottom of it. Thanks for the advice guys. It appears that cache_dirs wasn't playing well with the Unassigned Devices Plugin.

Enabling / Disabling the function on the settings page also start / stop the cache_dirs script in the background. Though it only becomes active when the array is started.

A system reboot or a manual stop/start of the array triggers the activation (read: cache_dirs starts caching).

Did you purposefully set it so 'nas' is in the EXCLUDE and INCLUDE list?

This comment by BRiT is what led me down the path of investigation.

backup_app, backup_flash and backup_nas

The above were all SMB mounts I had made to my Backup Server utilising Unassigned Devices Plugin.

To answer BRiT's question directly, no I didn't set 'nas' to include and exclude. I originally set 'nas' to include and all others to exclude. HOWEVER, I noticed (when I went in to fix the issue BRiT pointed out) that when I selected 'backup_nas' in the exclude list it would "automatically" tick 'nas' too. Weirdly this was also the case with 'backup_app' and 'app' too. THEN, I tried to just set 'nas' in the include list only and then it was selecting everything mount available to be ticked in both boxes. Strange as. I thought, hmm maybe this has something to do with these SMB mounts.

So I unmounted the SMB shares to the Backup Server. Then the bloody backup_nas folder wouldn't disappear. I had unmounted the share so expected the folder @ /mnt/disks/backup_nas to disappear. Nope. So I deleted it. THEN something kept creating it again. And it kept appearing and being selected each time I only tried to select 'nas' list in cache_dirs. But there was no mount. Something just kept "creating" the folder again.

So I uninstalled cache_dirs. Mounted each share again. Then unmounted them. Even unmounted my app drive (also mapped with Unassigned Devices Plugin) and checked /mnt/disks and all folders had gone. Installed cache_dis again. Was able to just select 'nas' this time (because basically there wasn't anything else to select) and Boom cache_dirs started running.

Mounted the other shares again with Unassigned Devices. Boom they worked. Went back in to check config of cache_dirs and it is still working fine and "Running".

Solved. Seems the message is that there may be issues when installing cache_dirs "AFTER" you have mounted shares / disks in Unassigned Devices. When you install cache_dirs "FIRST" and then mount shares / disks in Unassigned Devices, no issue.

Screen_Shot_2015-07-05_at_10_59.28_am.png.4a1184abd6bda13a5a75cfa48015c939.png

Archived