Help setting up docker

wgstarks

From Docker Guide

Prerequisites

A share created called “appdata” that will be used to store application metadata.

I'm not exactly sure what this means. Do I need to create a "User Share" named "appdata"? What settings should I use for the share?

Yes. Must set to Use cache disk: Only

From Docker Guide

Prerequisites

A share created called “appdata” that will be used to store application metadata.

I'm not exactly sure what this means. Do I need to create a "User Share" named "appdata"? What settings should I use for the share?

Yes. Must set to Use cache disk: Only

Trurl.... seems like this is asked everyday.... someone should do a newbie "guide" for this.... complete with screencaps....

Trurl.... seems like this is asked everyday.... someone should do a newbie "guide" for this.... complete with screencaps....

There are several stickies in this subforum but people don't bother to look before asking. Not exactly sure where OP is quoting from.

Really would be better if some of this was standardized and built-in with some help in the GUI, but that would almost require people to invest in a cache drive.

There are several stickies in this subforum but people don't bother to look before asking. Not exactly sure where OP is quoting from.

Really would be better if some of this was standardized and built-in with some help in the GUI, but that would almost require people to invest in a cache drive.

Actually, I did look. This was the top hit on a Google search.

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual_6#Using_Docker

It's the unRaid 6 Users Guide. I like it, but they kinda skim over some steps.

Also found a noobie guide but it has some of the same problems regarding the appdata share.

I've enhanced the Docker FAQ, based on material here (thanks trurl) and on work by itimpi.  In particular, I added an example of appdata setup to the FAQ post here.  I should probably also add it to the Docker parts of the Upgrading to UnRAID v6 guide.  If anyone sees any errors, please fix it or let me know.

More help with illustrations would be better though, and I assume it's coming.  We're still in the first version.

I've enhanced the Docker FAQ, based on material here (thanks trurl) and on work by itimpi.  In particular, I added an example of appdata setup to the FAQ post here.  I should probably also add it to the Docker parts of the Upgrading to UnRAID v6 guide.  If anyone sees any errors, please fix it or let me know.

More help with illustrations would be better though, and I assume it's coming.  We're still in the first version.

Thanks Rob. I put in a request to jonp on the Docker Guide thread that perhaps LT could modify the Docker Guide to include more info on this as well. Again, my thanks to you and trurl for your help.

Maybe I'm still a little confused? I thought the path would be /mnt/user/appdata/nameofdocker

/mnt/user/appdata/nameofdocker  = /mnt/cache/appdata/nameofdocker

But I was advised that we should always call it under from /mnt/user

I always use /mnt/cache/appdata. It is (unnoticeably) more efficient, and it also just makes more sense to me to always refer to cache-only shares that way. It still requires the share to be set to cache-only though to prevent mover from moving it.

/mnt/user/appdata/nameofdocker  = /mnt/cache/appdata/nameofdocker

But I was advised that we should always call it under from /mnt/user

I always use /mnt/cache/appdata. It is (unnoticeably) more efficient, and it also just makes more sense to me to always refer to cache-only shares that way. It still requires the share to be set to cache-only though to prevent mover from moving it.

I'm with trurl on this one always /mnt/cache/ for me

I will change my configurations.... to /mnt/cache

In fact i've gone one further and placed everything in /mnt/cache/.appdata meaning it's not even published as a user share and by default will not get moved to my array (folders beginning with . are hidden)

Can still navigate to the folder by browsing to my (non-visible) cache drive and the folder is visible in Windows.

I've been caught out by the appdata share getting moved to the array before now and I kind of know my way around Unraid and it still took me an hour or so for the penny to drop as to what had happened. (I was messing around with my array and did a new config and forgot to change the share to cache only when it was automatically created.  ::)

I did create my appdata as cache only from start. Before, with plugins, I was placing them in mnt/cache/.custom; in fact I still use this for some plugins. This is from unRAID 4 years ago. When staring with dockers, I was trying to place them inside .custom... until I read and saw all the examples using appdata. Thus I was able to create it clean-cache-only.

I just ordered parts to build an unRAID server for my little sister. I hope this nice clean install-from-scratch will go smoothly. My pet peeve for ages is never being able to stop the array from GUI and not get stuck with the "re-trying to un-mount shares" message. I do use powerdown package... and then I have to putty and type reboot. I will need the swapfile plugin as it has only 2GB RAM... basic Sab, SickX, CP, etc.

I have tried a bunch of stuff... I think I have narrowed down to NZBMegasearch... I uninstalled it, but it does not always work. Someone should create a really smart script... not to turn it off, but to stop the array (and not reboot).

My only tool is this: (assuming/hoping its something in cache)

lsof /mnt/cache

fuser -mv /mnt/cache

kill PID

where PID is the process ID number.

I have tried a bunch of stuff... I think I have narrowed down to NZBMegasearch... I uninstalled it, but it does not always work. Someone should create a really smart script... not to turn it off, but to stop the array (and not reboot).

My only tool is this: (assuming/hoping its something in cache)

lsof /mnt/cache

fuser -mv /mnt/cache

kill PID

where PID is the process ID number.

You probably know you can expand those to include the other disks like
lsof /mnt/*

for example.

Also, if you are logged in to the command line with your current directory on one of the disks it will also keep the disk from unmounting.

Archived