High CPU Utilization at Idle

Hoopster

I noticed in the last couple of days that CPU utilization is much higher at "idle" than it used to be.  I recently installed a couple of new docker containers (Plex and JDownloader) and thought it might be related, but, even with all dockers stopped, the CPU usage pattern is the same.

CPU utilization keeps jumping from 1-2% to 30-35% when idle.  It will stay at 30-35%(CPU ramps up to full speed) for about 30 seconds; drop back down to 1-2% (CPU throttles down as well) for a few seconds and then spike again.  This pattern keeps repeating.  It used to always idle at 1-2% with no spikes.

If I run top it reports the processes using the CPU during the spikes are "shfs" and "find"

Running unRAID 6.01.  Diagnostics attached.

Top screen capture below:

medianas-diagnostics-20150724-0818.zip

Top.png.34a9f8f502659aaeadfb9f8c4d9a505b.png

If it's 'find', then it's almost certainly CacheDirs doing it, quite normal, periodically forcing the right dir entries to stay cached.  Not sure about 'shfs', but that is probably CacheDirs related too, especially if you have the CacheDirs -u option set, to cache the User Shares system.  That usually isn't necessary, as it's mostly or completely redundant.  You might check the CacheDirs settings, make sure that caching the User Shares is turned off, and setting the Includes to only be the folders that truly need to be cached to keep drives from spinning up.

If it's 'find', then it's almost certainly CacheDirs doing it, quite normal, periodically forcing the right dir entries to stay cached.  Not sure about 'shfs', but that is probably CacheDirs related too, especially if you have the CacheDirs -u option set, to cache the User Shares system.  That usually isn't necessary, as it's mostly or completely redundant.  You might check the CacheDirs settings, make sure that caching the User Shares is turned off, and setting the Includes to only be the folders that truly need to be cached to keep drives from spinning up.

Good call.  Cache user shares was set to ´Yes´ in CacheDirs settings.  When I turned it off and applied, CPU utilization returned to normal a couple of minutes later.  I had never noticed the CPU spikes before, but, since Plex was indexing all my photos for several hours yesterday and Handbrake was doing its thing on a couple of movies, I was paying more attention to what was going on with CPU and RAM. When both of those processes finished, the CPU utilization still appeared abnormally high at idle and I did not know to what to attribute the behavior.

Thanks again.

• 6 months later...

Good call.  Cache user shares was set to ´Yes´ in CacheDirs settings.  When I turned it off and applied, CPU utilization returned to normal a couple of minutes later.  I had never noticed the CPU spikes before, but, since Plex was indexing all my photos for several hours yesterday and Handbrake was doing its thing on a couple of movies, I was paying more attention to what was going on with CPU and RAM. When both of those processes finished, the CPU utilization still appeared abnormally high at idle and I did not know to what to attribute the behavior.

I realize this is an old thread but I'm sure I am not the only one who is experiencing this issue and doesn't fully understand how to turn off or set Cache User Shares to "No" as suggested above. The only place I know where Shares have the capability to interact with the Cache drive is within the Share window and by selecting "Yes" for "Use Cache Disk:" setting. Is this the same as the CacheDirs setting mentioned above?

I realize this is an old thread but I'm sure I am not the only one who is experiencing this issue and doesn't fully understand how to turn off or set Cache User Shares to "No" as suggested above. The only place I know where Shares have the capability to interact with the Cache drive is within the Share window and by selecting "Yes" for "Use Cache Disk:" setting. Is this the same as the CacheDirs setting mentioned above?

CacheDirs is almost completely unrelated to the Cache drive.  To change CacheDirs settings, go to the Plugins page and look for the Dynamix CacheDirs plugin, also known as the Folder Caching tool, I think.

• 1 year later...

I had this issue creep into my server over time. Current uptime is 32 days with high shfs cpu utilization. I first noticed it last night. I fiddled with the dynamix cache directories plugin settings, but nothing changed even after sitting overnight. Just now I removed the plugin and shfs went to 0. It's interesting because I have the same plugin on a nearly identical other server that does not have this issue. Going to try reinstalling and see what happens.

• 1 year later...

Archived