How is everyone getting hdmi and usb from server throughout house?

Hello,

I am in a similar situation. I have CAT5e running throughout my house, but it would be difficult to run new HDMI cables. For example, in my office, where I'd like to setup a screen, keyboard & mouse to a Windows VM for potential gaming, I only have 1 cat5e cable going into that office.

Is there a relatively inexpensive way I could turn that 1 cable into HDMI + Gig Ethernet? I currently have a router in my office (that uses the 1 cat5e cable) and it provides some internet connectivity to a few other devices in the office.

Hello,

I am in a similar situation. I have CAT5e running throughout my house, but it would be difficult to run new HDMI cables. For example, in my office, where I'd like to setup a screen, keyboard & mouse to a Windows VM for potential gaming, I only have 1 cat5e cable going into that office.

Is there a relatively inexpensive way I could turn that 1 cable into HDMI + Gig Ethernet? I currently have a router in my office (that uses the 1 cat5e cable) and it provides some internet connectivity to a few other devices in the office.

TBH, it's not very cheap and I haven't gotten the chance to test with it yet, but the guys over at JustAddPower offer an HDMI + USB over IP solution that works with ethernet:

http://www.justaddpower.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased house 2 years ago, ripped walls and basement floor out to redo electrical, ran up to 50' HDMI and 2 cat6 to each room at that time.

Use the previously linked usb over ethernet adapters. All ethernet and HDMI terminate in my "command center" in the basement where I tie it all together. Previously on XenServer, now on unRaid 6.1.

Currently single working VM with video pass through, bitstreams to plex home theater like a dream. Plays games reasonably as well, I have a rather weak GPU in it.

Second VM will be set up Sunday.

Both have/will have powered USB hubs at the end of the usb over cat6 extensions, with keyboard, mouse and fliirc plugged in. Things worked well on XenServer 6.2, not at all on 6.5, and I am hoping for the world with unRaid now, so far so good on the theater/light gamer VM. :)

Purchased house 2 years ago, ripped walls and basement floor out to redo electrical, ran up to 50' HDMI and 2 cat6 to each room at that time.

Use the previously linked usb over ethernet adapters. All ethernet and HDMI terminate in my "command center" in the basement where I tie it all together. Previously on XenServer, now on unRaid 6.1.

Currently single working VM with video pass through, bitstreams to plex home theater like a dream. Plays games reasonably as well, I have a rather weak GPU in it.

Second VM will be set up Sunday.

Both have/will have powered USB hubs at the end of the usb over cat6 extensions, with keyboard, mouse and fliirc plugged in. Things worked well on XenServer 6.2, not at all on 6.5, and I am hoping for the world with unRaid now, so far so good on the theater/light gamer VM. :)

That....is....awesome....

Would it be too much to ask for you to maybe take some pics of the setup for me and let me feature them in a blog post at some point?  Would love to showcase this as a use-case example for those that have their homes wired up this way.

The HDBaseT kits from Monoprice are what you want. Get the box version of the sender unit and the wall plate version of the receiver. It has HDMI, IR and Ethernet.

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=109&cp_id=10914

I have mine on a shielded cat6 run and it's flawless. I think you could get away with regular cat6 too.

Are you using this with a GPU pass through setup?

Not yet. Building out my new server currently. I've been using it with regular media center devices.

The HDBaseT kits from Monoprice are what you want. Get the box version of the sender unit and the wall plate version of the receiver. It has HDMI, IR and Ethernet.

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=109&cp_id=10914

I have mine on a shielded cat6 run and it's flawless. I think you could get away with regular cat6 too.

Are you using this with a GPU pass through setup?

Not yet. Building out my new server currently. I've been using it with regular media center devices.

Should work just fine I would think.  There's really no difference.  Make sure to chime back in the forum when you get your new system built out and use these devices with it!!

So, if I'm understanding. Running something like Kodi on the unRaid server you would need a separate GPU video card and USB for each TV that is connected? And separate VM's for each TV?

Yes you need a GPU for each VM.  The way our OpenELEC virtual disk image works, you can craft multiple VM instances off the single image file, but each VM instance would need its own appdata folder.

As for USB, that's only true if you want to use a USB based input device to control the VM.  There is also a method to control Kodi using a smartphone app (Kore is the name of the app now).

Just wanted to add that I finally finished running a 100 foot HDMI cable in my attic to the master bedroom. The hardest part was building a catwalk in the attic so I could access the area above the bedroom to drill the hole for the 2" conduit. Not to mention the 100+ degree attic temperature after 11AM. Took several days to get this done, but it's working. I'm using a 100' HDMI cable which has the RedMere active chips at each end of the cable.

I'm also using the USB over cat5 device that was referenced earlier in this thread to passthrough my IR receiver.

So, if I'm understanding. Running something like Kodi on the unRaid server you would need a separate GPU video card and USB for each TV that is connected? And separate VM's for each TV?

Yes you need a GPU for each VM.  The way our OpenELEC virtual disk image works, you can craft multiple VM instances off the single image file, but each VM instance would need its own appdata folder.

As for USB, that's only true if you want to use a USB based input device to control the VM.  There is also a method to control Kodi using a smartphone app (Kore is the name of the app now).

Didn't even think about ethernet. So I guess I could skip USB and control Kodi with my iPhone (couldn't find Kore) but then each Kodi instance would need an ethernet card?

Didn't even think about ethernet. So I guess I could skip USB and control Kodi with my iPhone (couldn't find Kore) but then each Kodi instance would need an ethernet card?

No, each Kodi instance does not need its own network card.  The VMs use a virtual network card that shares physical.  The only 1:1 ratio in hardware required is GPUs per VM.  storage, network, and cpu access is shared.

No, each Kodi instance does not need its own network card.  The VMs use a virtual network card that shares physical.  The only 1:1 ratio in hardware required is GPUs per VM.  storage, network, and cpu access is shared.

Separate IP address for each instance all on the same EN-0 port??

Yup!  Is your mind thoroughly blown yet?!

Both have/will have powered USB hubs at the end of the usb over cat6 extensions, with keyboard, mouse and fliirc plugged in.

Curious to see how this works out for you.

I had issues with USB disconnects and devices getting new device IDs (even with powered USB hubs).  If you are able to passthrough an entire USB controller to each VM, or if your USB devices all have unique vendor IDs, then you should be OK.  If you will have more than one Flirc, that will definitely be an issue since you will need to pass them through via bus/device ID (unless of course you pass through the entire controller).

John

Yatse is the android app to control kodi

Yatse isn't the official app though.  On android, Kore is the new official app, and its really nice (substantial improvement over the previous).

I'm guessing that any smart phone app will work though, right? Been using Commander (iPhone app) for several years with my HTPC.

Yatse is the android app to control kodi

Yatse isn't the official app though.  On android, Kore is the new official app, and its really nice (substantial improvement over the previous).

I'm guessing that any smart phone app will work though, right? Been using Commander (iPhone app) for several years with my HTPC.

Any app that is compatible with the version of XBMC in OpenELEC.  Example, Eric just pulled a new bud of OpenELEC out of the oven based on OE beta 4 which uses Kodi 15.1 final.  I don't know which apps are compatible with 15.1.  Most probably are, but if you have difficulty, maybe check for compatibility and/or try a different one.

Both have/will have powered USB hubs at the end of the usb over cat6 extensions, with keyboard, mouse and fliirc plugged in.

I had issues with USB disconnects and devices getting new device IDs (even with powered USB hubs).  If you are able to passthrough an entire USB controller to each VM, or if your USB devices all have unique vendor IDs, then you should be OK.  If you will have more than one Flirc, that will definitely be an issue since you will need to pass them through via bus/device ID (unless of course you pass through the entire controller).

John

This is very true.  It's frankly an unsolvable problem until USB devices get unique serial numbers universally (like GUID).  This isn't a KVM/QEMU/unRAID issue at all.  There is just no unique identifier between those devices.  You'd think the bus/address would be the same because its plugged into the same physical port, but ports don't correlate to the actual bus / device address in software.

• 2 months later...

John

This is very true.  It's frankly an unsolvable problem until USB devices get unique serial numbers universally (like GUID).  This isn't a KVM/QEMU/unRAID issue at all.  There is just no unique identifier between those devices.  You'd think the bus/address would be the same because its plugged into the same physical port, but ports don't correlate to the actual bus / device address in software.

I'm going to dredge up this thread...

I recently revisited trying to add a powered USB Hub (http://www.staples.com/Staples-4-Port-USB-2-0-Slim-Hub-22316-/product_645441) to my server and passing through all devices connected to it to one of my VMs.  In the past this proved to be quite a challenge as the devices were constantly disconnecting/resetting and getting new Device IDs.

However, what I hadn't tried was using the new USB passthrough method that jonp detailed here:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=41922.0 so I decided what the hell.

-  I plugged the power for the USB hub into an outlet

-  I plugged the USB hub into an available USB port on my server

-  I verified that the server could see it (in Tools --> System Devices)

-  I plugged 4 separate devices into the hub

- 1x 32GB USB thumb drive

- 1x 2TB USB hard drive (2.5" form factor)

- 1x USB keyboard

- 1x USB optical mouse

-  I stopped the OE VM that is connected to the TV in my boy's playroom...this is my dev area while they are at school :)

-  All 4 devices connected to the hub were unique so I used the VM Manager to pass them through

-  I made the necessary changes to the XML for the USB controller as outlined by jonp (<controller type='usb' index='0' model='nec-xhci'>)

-  I also passed through the the Flirc for that TV via XML editor (since I have multiple Flircs attached to the server)

-  I then fired up the OE VM and all of the devices are accounted for.

HTPCPLAYROOM:~ # lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 20a0:0001 Clay Logic
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0930:6544 Toshiba Corp. TransMemory-Mini / Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 Stick (2GB)
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0409:55aa NEC Corp. Hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04b3:3025 IBM Corp. NetVista Full Width Keyboard
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:c00e Logitech, Inc. M-BJ58/M-BJ69 Optical Wheel Mouse
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bc2:ab20 Seagate RSS LLC Backup Plus Portable Drive
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I have rebooted the VM multiple time and all of the devices have come back without any disconnects.  But now the real test begins.  These disconnects are always random and happen at any time.  I will let the VM be used as normal and see what happens.  However, it has already been an hour and all is good so far.

Funny...I forgot that the keyboard I attached to the hub also has a built-in hub (Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0409:55aa NEC Corp. Hub).  :)

John