Fun Problem :) How to max-out my new Gigabit Internet Connection ? :)

Hi,

I'm running a NZBGet docker (tried the gfjardim and the LinuxServer.io) and I tried the overbyrn Plugins too.  I can't seem to get anything Faster than 25MB/sec using the dockers, and 17MB/sec using the Plugin. 

On a Windows PC (Windows 10) with NZBget, with a SSD, I get even less with 12-13MB/sec... Ok the WinPC is a Core i3, but my Unraid 6 is a Xeon E3.

My Usenet provider is Astraweb.  From what I read, they can max out a Gibabit connexion (about 120MB/sec)...

What do I do wrong? 

PS.  I know the Internet connexion is good, I get about 925Mbps on speedtest.net  8) 8)

Using a 3rd computer, a Gaming PC, I can get 85MB/sec on Steam....

Do you guy with Gigabit Internet are about to maxing out the connexion ??  If so, how ! :)

Dont know whats wrong with your setup, are you sure your router can support the full speed of your network connection?

I have maxed out my 150mbit connection with NZBGet docker and Astraweb at around 20MB/s. I wish i could say I tested it with faster speeds but they dont have Gigablast service here (yet).

Dont know whats wrong with your setup, are you sure your router can support the full speed of your network connection?

I have maxed out my 150mbit connection with NZBGet docker and Astraweb at around 20MB/s. I wish i could say I tested it with faster speeds but they dont have Gigablast service here (yet).

yes, my Router handle it easy... it's a Ubiquiti Network and all my speed test give me between 820-925Mbps and CPU of router doesn't even get to 10% Usage :)

I tried messing with some settings.  I'll try disabling SSL for a quick test.

Make certain you dont have alternate speed or speed limiters set for NZBGet, and the same number of server conections setup, and dont have it set to pause when unraring. I have 10 connections to ssl astra and hitting 20MB/s consistently when the astra servers arnt having issues and the posts arnt DMCAd or incomplete.

Can you please test the speed when installed using Universal installer for Linux? The installation is easy, consists only of few steps; the files are installed into one folder; after the test you can delete the directory and nothing remains.

Since the installer version isn't related to docker (and this forum is for docker) may be it would be better to continue discussion on NZBGet forum or you can write me at [email protected] if you don't want register on forum there.

The fast download speed is one of the main priorities and I'd like to fix that problem for you if possible.

Can you please test the speed when installed using Universal installer for Linux? The installation is easy, consists only of few steps; the files are installed into one folder; after the test you can delete the directory and nothing remains.

Since the installer version isn't related to docker (and this forum is for docker) may be it would be better to continue discussion on NZBGet forum or you can write me at [email protected] if you don't want register on forum there.

The fast download speed is one of the main priorities and I'd like to fix that problem for you if possible.

Hey hugbug! Thanks for your universal installer. It make things a lot easier to maintain.

I suspect Astraweb may be the culprit here. I had to use Easynews to max out my 50mbit connection in Brazil.

Other think to consider is using a cache drive as your InterDir, since download directly to array can max out the array white speed (30~40MB/s usually).

Yes, I was going to say, try the universal installer. It got my speeds up. I get line speed (20MB/sec) and that's on a HP N54L (slow).

AW has had problems recently. Try GigaNews or SuperNews and more connections.

Also, make sure your article cache is at least 500MB. Mine is at 1.5GB.

You may also need to use an SSD.

Lower the number of connections.  More connections = more overhead.  With very high speed connections, less = more

Unless its a peering issue. My co-locate is across the country from me and a single connection only gets me at max 2.2 mb/s. If I have my ftp client open 6 concurrent downloads it will max out my connection.

finaly, I tried several Usenet providers :

1. I was on Astraweb - can't get faster than 30MB/sec (­~240Mbps)

2. Using a Giganews trial, I pushed that to 90MB/sec (~720Mbps)

3. Using a NewsHosting trial, I pushed that to 65-85MB/sec (between 520Mbps-680Mbps)

ok, it's not Gigabit speed... but it's fast enough!!

I finally opened an 1Year account on NewsHosting because Giganews is too expensive and I don't care about the "addons" they have (30GB online storage... wow 30GB, the VPN...etc).  I prefer to pay 99$ for a full year of NewsHosting with 30 connections.

Also, how to use the nzbget with the universal installer in a docker ??? didn't catch it.  Or directly on the host ? I guess not ?

anyway, do you think it could go faster with the Universal installer ?!

finaly, I tried several Usenet providers :

1. I was on Astraweb - can't get faster than 30MB/sec (­~240Mbps)

2. Using a Giganews trial, I pushed that to 90MB/sec (~720Mbps)

3. Using a NewsHosting trial, I pushed that to 65-85MB/sec (between 520Mbps-680Mbps)

ok, it's not Gigabit speed... but it's fast enough!!

I finally opened an 1Year account on NewsHosting because Giganews is too expensive and I don't care about the "addons" they have (30GB online storage... wow 30GB, the VPN...etc).  I prefer to pay 99$ for a full year of NewsHosting with 30 connections.

Also, how to use the nzbget with the universal installer in a docker ??? didn't catch it.  Or directly on the host ? I guess not ?

anyway, do you think it could go faster with the Universal installer ?!

My container is already using it. hugbud included most of NZBGet dependencies into one package, making it super easy to install it in all environments. I do really doubt it make any difference running it directly from unRAID, since Docker overhead is almost non existent. And you keep your base OS clean.

SuperNews is a cheaper version of GN (see my sig - same servers, just cheaper).

I found a small, but significant, speedup using the native version vs. the Docker - that's with slowish CPU and a fast connection.

I went from about 18.5MB/s to closer to 20MB/s (line speed).