Are These Servers a Good Deal?

My server is an even older Tams unit, and it has handled both 2 and 4Tb drives just fine.  FWIW

And to underscore StevenD's comment regarding sound, DO NOT underestimate how loud a real server can be.  You may be thinking 'desktop' 'I can really hear a fan' levels.  Not even close.  Imagine a hair dryer on high.  Loud enough that you can't easily have a conversation beside it.  There are workarounds, though.  See here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/1412640-you-looking-less-expensive-norco-4220-4224-alternative.html

All that being said, this should be an awesome unRAID server.  My only concern would be the lack of IPMI card, but that board should have 2 network ports, one of which, could probably be dedicated to the task.  There's NOTHING like having a dedicated link to your machine that works even while the machine is off/at CMOS/booting/etc.

As for power hungry- dunno.  I think mine can draw upwards of 250w, but it is fully loaded.

Yep, these will work great.  I bought a similar one earlier this week after extensive research.

The PSU that comes with yours is insanely loud.  They're not power-efficiency rated.  You'll be better off with a Gold or Platinum rated PSU.  And you really only need 1 quieter PSU (instead of 2 insanely loud ones) for home use, since I doubt many of us care about redundant PSUs.

The one you linked (with the TQ backplane) may require up to 3 controller cards (or some other way to get 24 individual SATA ports), but will have the highest overall performance (each drive gets a fully dedicated SATA link).  Those controller cards are pretty power hungry too.  IMO, the better option for bulk storage has the SAS2 backplane (server model SC846E16, or a listing that specifies a SAS2 backplane) with a port expander.  The SAS2 option only requires 1 controller card.  If it doesn't come with one, best option for controller is an m1015 (or similar) flashed to IT mode (<$100).

With the SAS2 expander, you'll get aggregate 2400MB/sec throughput to your drives (so 100MB/sec simultaneous reads on all 24 drives for parity checks, or faster per drive on fewer drives).  I think most people's parity checks are limited around that speed anyway, and that limit won't apply to e.g. standard single file reads - bandwidth is dynamically shared.  Another advantage -- one single cable going from the controller to the backplane.  The TQ model has 24 individual cables.

IMO, this with a quieter gold-rated PSU or this + this MUCH quieter platinum-rated PSU are better than the linked option.  They'll require sourcing a few additional components (CPU + RAM) yourself though

Xeon L5630 (2 for $40) or L5640 (2 for <$100) are good options for CPU with slightly lower power consumption.  6x4GB = 24GB ECC DDR3 registered RAM for $50 on ebay.

The options I linked also have integrated IPMI on the motherboards