[Support] Linuxserver.io - FreshRSS

linuxserver_medium.png

Application Name: FreshRSS

Application Site: http://freshrss.org/

Docker Hub: https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/freshrss/

Github: https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-freshrss

Please post any questions/issues relating to this docker you have in this thread.

If you are not using Unraid (and you should be!) then please do not post here, instead head to linuxserver.io to see how to get support.

Edited by linuxserver.io
  • 1 year later...

I installed the FreshRSS docker, and got to the error message about: Can't connect to local MySQL server. So I read on another thread to install another Docker with MySQL/MariaDB.

So after much gnashing of teeth, I made this work as follows. Install a MySQL docker. After struggling with the stone-aged command line, I got smart and installed MySQL Workbench which I used to create a database, user, and password. The final trick is what to put in the host line of the FreshRSS setup, The default, localserver, does not work. Instead, use your unRAID IP, e.g. 192.168.1.123 and be sure NOT to include the port: 3306.

Edited by RichardU

baseurl as a variable isn't ubiquitous. Seen a few mentions of it from time to time and I'm not sure where it stems from. I haven't looked at proxying this as I don't use it, but unless the readme explicitly states that baseurl is an option there's no point trying it. (I haven't checked if it does or not)

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

On 5/10/2017 at 0:29 PM, CHBMB said:

baseurl as a variable isn't ubiquitous. Seen a few mentions of it from time to time and I'm not sure where it stems from. I haven't looked at proxying this as I don't use it, but unless the readme explicitly states that baseurl is an option there's no point trying it. (I haven't checked if it does or not)

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Bummer to hear that.  In the install.php there is a base_url variable that I hoped would work, but it didn't seem to work for me.  Looks like I need to forward a port to access from outside the LAN.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for this docker.  I was able to get this set up with the letsencrypt docker using a subdomain "news.server.com".  Setup was simple, pretty much the same as any other subdomain.  ie. point dns entry to my server, add news to the letsencrypt docker subdomains variable, create the new site conf news.

No manual edits were made to the freshrss config directory.

• 6 months later...

yes iam using a subdamain for that here ist my conf file:

## Server FreshRSS ##
server {
	listen 80;
	listen 443 ssl;
	index index.html index.htm index.php;
	server_name rss.server.com;
ssl_certificate /config/keys/letsencrypt/fullchain.pem;
	ssl_certificate_key /config/keys/letsencrypt/privkey.pem;
	ssl_dhparam /config/nginx/dhparams.pem;
	ssl_ciphers 'ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:DHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:DHE-DSS-AES128-GCM-SHA256:kEDH+AESGCM:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-SHA256:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-SHA:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA384:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-SHA384:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-SHA:DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256:DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA:DHE-DSS-AES128-SHA256:DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA256:DHE-DSS-AES256-SHA:DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA:AES128-GCM-SHA256:AES256-GCM-SHA384:AES128-SHA256:AES256-SHA256:AES128-SHA:AES256-SHA:AES:CAMELLIA:DES-CBC3-SHA:!aNULL:!eNULL:!EXPORT:!DES:!RC4:!MD5:!PSK:!aECDH:!EDH-DSS-DES-CBC3-SHA:!EDH-RSA-DES-CBC3-SHA:!KRB5-DES-CBC3-SHA';
	ssl_prefer_server_ciphers on;
	ssl_ecdh_curve prime256v1;
	client_max_body_size 0;
	root /config/www/freshrss/p;
	index index.php index.html index.htm;
	location ~ ^.+?\.php(/.*)?$ {
	fastcgi_pass 127.0.0.1:9000;
	fastcgi_split_path_info ^(.+\.php)(/.+)$;
	fastcgi_param PATH_INFO $fastcgi_path_info;
	include /etc/nginx/fastcgi_params;
	fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
	}
	location / {
		try_files $uri $uri/ index.php;

}
}

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2020 at 2:26 AM, Samurai2007 said:

Please forgive my ignorance, but do I have to use the letsencrypt docker if I never want to access FreshRSS from outside of my local network?  Does it leave me exposed if I don’t?

No & not unless your port forward on your firewall/router.

• 2 months later...
On 5/29/2020 at 1:50 AM, itlists said:

Hi,

I've installed mySQL, created a db and user + password for the db. However, getting an error when configuring freshrss.

The db, rssreader, is empty and the account freshrss has full priv on the db

image.thumb.png.38ffddaf04cac2e94907590249c98fe4.png

There is no mysql database in this container, so using localhost will fail. You need to use the IP (or the container name if on same custom docker bridge) to connect to the container for mysql.

• Thanks 1
On 5/30/2020 at 2:52 PM, itlists said:

Thank you, got it working now!

Another question - where is the 'extensions' folder in the unraid instance? I don't see it under appdata/freshrss

Thanks!

Any idea about this? I can't find any info on the official wiki either...

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Letsencrypt reverse proxy question:

After setting up my subdomain forward for freshrss.<mydomain>, letsencrypt doesn't work with the default freshrss.subdomain.conf. I've had to change the following lines because otherwise letsencrypt proxies to 172.18.0.7:80 (default freshrss docker ip/port). Anyone know why this is? I assume it's something to do with the resolver???

<         set $upstream_app freshrss;
<         set $upstream_port 80;

---
>         set $upstream_app 192.168.1.1;
>         set $upstream_port 8084;

4 hours ago, Zan said:

Letsencrypt reverse proxy question:

After setting up my subdomain forward for freshrss.<mydomain>, letsencrypt doesn't work with the default freshrss.subdomain.conf. I've had to change the following lines because otherwise letsencrypt proxies to 172.18.0.7:80 (default freshrss docker ip/port). Anyone know why this is? I assume it's something to do with the resolver???

<         set $upstream_app freshrss;
<         set $upstream_port 80;

---
>         set $upstream_app 192.168.1.1;
>         set $upstream_port 8084;

Do you have both letsencrypt and freshrss on the same custom bridge? If they are on the same custom bridge, you don't have to change to IP or change the port.

2 hours ago, saarg said:

Do you have both letsencrypt and freshrss on the same custom bridge? If they are on the same custom bridge, you don't have to change to IP or change the port.

Yep, they're on the same custom bridge. I've changed back to the default and it's working.

Thanks saarg.

Now to get the freshrss android app working. I'm currently getting a "This url is not correct error" as others have had in the past - https://git.feneas.org/christophehenry/freshrss-android/-/issues/70

I haven't found a decent rss app on android (had FeedMe but it's too slow to refresh feeds) and the html ui for freshrss isn't great on mobile as the post titles get truncated.

If anyone has any recommendations for a good Android RSS reader that works with freshrss, would appreciate it

• 4 months later...
On 6/29/2020 at 7:28 AM, Zan said:

Yep, they're on the same custom bridge. I've changed back to the default and it's working.

Thanks saarg.

Now to get the freshrss android app working. I'm currently getting a "This url is not correct error" as others have had in the past - https://git.feneas.org/christophehenry/freshrss-android/-/issues/70

I haven't found a decent rss app on android (had FeedMe but it's too slow to refresh feeds) and the html ui for freshrss isn't great on mobile as the post titles get truncated.

If anyone has any recommendations for a good Android RSS reader that works with freshrss, would appreciate it

I know this is months later, but:

1. the error message for the mobile app is because the api password is not set.  If you set this and fill in the same password when prompted on the mobile app, you are set.

2. Readrops is a fine android RSS reader, and it supports freshrss.

• 3 weeks later...