Toshiba 5TB Drive for $139.99 (with Promo Code - thru 7 Sep)

garycase

I've noticed these suckers upwards of 50C during my preclears. These were sitting on my desk in the open air and the AC pumping out at 75F.

anyone else noticing these suckers getting HOT?

During preclear it got around 43~45C in my open case spare machine with no fans. Now in the server in with air blowing over them, they are around 35C.

I have fans blowing across my drives when I preclear them sitting out on my desktop.  All of mine were 40 or below most of the time.  I think I had one get to 42 but I moved the fan a little and got it back to 40.  When I put them in there regular slots in the server they all have been staying in the 30ies for temps.

I've noticed these suckers upwards of 50C during my preclears. These were sitting on my desk in the open air and the AC pumping out at 75F.

anyone else noticing these suckers getting HOT?

They do run a few degrees hotter than other drives. 50C is too hot IMO. Drive cages are a very good idea.

Just got done pre-clearing all three drives and the temps never got above 35 degrees.  That's using a Antec 900 with hot swap cages and the stock Antec fans.  They are running a few degrees hotter (35-37C) during the parity check compared to my 2TB Hitachi's coolspins (31-33C), however they are also the top three drives in the case so that might play a little part.  Newegg seems to no longer carry them but B&H has them for the same price so I might pick a few more up.

... Newegg seems to no longer carry them but B&H has them for the same price so I might pick a few more up.

Surprising -- I just bought a couple more last week !!    Wonder why Newegg dropped them -- they don't even show them as "out of stock" ... they simply don't list them.    Fortunately B&H has them for the same very good price.

• 2 weeks later...