User Shares Question

hoosierdaddy

Hi.

My Unraid server is up to about 18 disks now and love it.  One problem I think I created was with Crashplan.  Instead of installing the docker, I just have the Crashplan app on each of my computers and they backup to the user share titled "crashplan".  For this user share, I didnt include or exclude any disks so it ended up creating folders in 4-5 disks.  These 4-5 disks are almost always running now.  My question: If I go into the Crashplan user share and only include 1 disk (which is a newly added 3TB drive), will it move all files from other folders into this new disk?  If not, how can I do this manually?

The share settings only apply when files are first written. unRAID never moves anything automatically except for the special case of moving things from the cache drive.

The simplest way is to go to console or telnet and use

mc

Make sure you only move from disk to disk, don't move from disk to user share or user share to disk or you could lose data from the User Share Copy Bug.

I wouldn't bother to move anything.  If you simply change the "Included" disks to only the one disk you want it to write to, that's the only disk it will write any new files to, so the others shouldn't spin up.

If they do spin up, it's because it's examining the current directories to determine what it needs to write.  If that's the case, just enable Folder Caching (using the plugin) or, if you're not on v6, install Cache_Dirs -- and be sure the Crashplan share is cached.    That will stop the unnecessary spinups on those drives.

Sorry to barge into this, but how did you set the crashplan share on your server as a destination for the clients to back up to? I ask this since I am having terrible luck with the crashplan docker and its causing me sleepless nights with an old laptop on its last legs that isn't backed up a few weeks now.

Hello.  Just make a Crashplan User share.  Then, map that user share drive on your PC.  In my case, I mapped it as drive X:.  I then go into the PC Crashplan Software and choose to backup to folder.  I then choose drive X: and away it goes.  It works great on my PC.  for my mac, it seems a little slower but its getting there.  I need to investigate the speed difference.

I didn't try the Crashplan container because I saw the thread had reached 35 pages... which to me was a sign that it would likely be over my head.  :)

Hope it helps.

Archived