Help with case and cage compatibility

I'm looking to buy a case that can hold 3 5x3.5 HDD cages.  I'm concerned about compatibility between the case and the cage because I've read that some cases have tabs that need to be removed, or only allow for 4x3.5, or have to be dremeled, etc, and I would like to avoid that if possible.  I've never built a PC with removable HDD cages, so I'd like some help from those here that are more experienced. I'm just trying to avoid ordering parts and finding they aren't compatible when they are delivered and having to return them and find others. 

If you have a build that has 3 5x3.5 HDD cages, and those components are readily available from online retailers, I would really like it if you could let me know what components you are using. 

Currently I'm looking at this case:  http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-ATX-Mid-Tower-Case/dp/B00BG5CBJG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447361460&sr=8-1&keywords=zalman+ms800

And these cages:  http://www.amazon.com/DOCK-FatCage-MB155SP-B-6Gbps-Module/dp/B00DWHLFMA/ref=pd_cp_147_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1TSNVXPDM82BS3W5ZKM0

I'm not tied to either of those, it just seems that my choice of cases is limited and those are what I could find on amazon.

A little background if you are interested.  I currently have an unraid 5.x machine that I built about a year and a half ago and have almost run out of space on the 5 array drives.  I would like to build a new machine on 6.x that has a lot more drive capacity since I ran out of space much more quickly than I thought I would. 

If you take a good look at images of the cages, some will have the slots cut in for the case tabs to go through. I have heard that because the drives are packed so tightly in the 5 in 3 cages, there may be ventilation and heat issues. But I don't have experience with the one model you linked. I do not see the side cuts on this one...

I have that exact same case and use very similar 3 x 5.25" to 5 x 3.5" bays..

Works fine but you'll need a deep throated clamp or something similar to flatten the tabs to fit them, I've had to do this on a number of cases and it's not difficult just a bit of a nuisance.

I've got something like this.

Just make sure it's deep enough to reach the tabs towards the back of the case, a normal clamp won't be.

You may want to read through this thread:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12405.0

Just use the c-clamp. 

Nevermind on the harbor freight as I see you are in the UK.

If you live in the US and are close to a Harbor Freight, get one of these for $5.99:

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-deep-throat-c-clamp.html.  I have the 12 inch and it is a little over-sized.  The 8in would probably have worked.

The issue I have with a dremel is all of those metal is all the metal "dust".  Seriously, 20-30 minutes and your done.  You only need to bend the tabs on the 5in3s.  Also you may want to test it, but I had read that you only have to bend the two of the sets of tabs for each 5in3.  For example looking below, a 5in3 uses 3 of the 5.25" slots.  You would leave tabs at position 1 alone and and only bend 2 and 3.  When I move into my Antec 1200 case I am going to try it. 

Top of case

Bottom of case

I have the Norco SS-500 5in3.  They work fine but do run hot if you load them up with the higher capacity drives.  I originally put quite fans in mine, but am going to swap them out for higher capacity fans at a slight increase in noise.

If I was building my system today, I would use the iStarUSA BPN-DE350SS.  A friend of mine built his system with the 4in3s and loves them.  They don't use a caddy.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5TY20D8534

I have a 4 in 3.... and temp is always fine. I bought a horrible 5 in 3 for which I posted a warning in some post. I basically tossed the unit. Curious if there is a reliable 5 in 3 that does NOT run hot w/ 4TB drives.

Nasty news breaking out from Paris....  :(  >:( Hope nobody here affected.

IMHO iStarUSA BPN-DE350SS doesn't have good quality control; I have two of them and they work wonderfully, much better than my two Norco SS-500; you instead had nothing but trouble with them.

OT: it's sad what some lunatics can do in the name of some lunatic ideals ...

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied to this thread.  I got the case and a c-clamp and it was really easy to bend the tabs into place to make room for the cages.  I got 3 cages in there now and I am really happy with the case and the storage capabilities. 

Now I'm off to peruse the forums to learn about what I can do with a 6.x box as I was previously on 5.x.  Thanks again for all the helpful comments and suggestions.