I moved and my router was replaced and now I can't see my tower/movies

Michael St.Pierre

Houston we have a problem...

I moved from MA to CT recently.  In MA, the cable company issued me a wired router, but in CT they replaced it with a wireless router.

When my uncle helped set up the system, we assigned a static IP address to the tower as the IP address of the old wired router.  That IP address was 192.168.1.99.  The new router has an IP address of 10.0.0.1.  How can I reset my tower to the new router IP address?  I am a novice user so if the response can be as dumbed down as necessary, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you very much. 

The easiest way would be to power down the server and remove the flash drive.  Place the flash drive in another computer.  In the config folder should be a file called network.cfg.  Open the file and edit it, correcting the wrong bits.  The only things you should have to change are IPADDR, GATEWAY, and DNS_SERVER1.

IPADDR is the address you want the server to use.

Both GATEWAY and DNS_SERVER1 should be your routers address 10.0.0.1

Make sure to use a Linux compliant text editor like Notepad++

Thank you very much D.S.  (I have a hard time calling someone who is offering their expertise dirty...  :)  I greatly appreciate your help.

I was able to get into the tower and find the flash drive as well as open up the network.cfg file.  I changed the Gateway and DNS_Server1 to the router IP address as you indicated.  I located the other file, but I had another question (sorry).  Is there a specific IP address needed for the IPADDR (i.e. computer)? 

Thanks again!

Thank you very much D.S.  (I have a hard time calling someone who is offering their expertise dirty...  :)  I greatly appreciate your help.

I was able to get into the tower and find the flash drive as well as open up the network.cfg file.  I changed the Gateway and DNS_Server1 to the router IP address as you indicated.  I located the other file, but I had another question (sorry).  Is there a specific IP address needed for the IPADDR (i.e. computer)? 

Thanks again!

No, no specific address.  It's whatever address you want the server to use.  You just need to make sure the address is not already being used.  You said the server used to be 192.168.1.99, so how about using 10.0.0.99?  You can use 10.0.0.x where x is any number between 2 and 254.  You can't use 1 because 10.0.0.1 is your router.

To make sure it is not in use, assuming your other computer is a windows machine, open a command prompt (click start and type cmd and press enter).  Type "ping 10.0.0.99" without the quotes (or whatever address you want to use) and press enter.  If the response is no reply or destination host unreachable, that address is not in use and you can use it.

While this is hindsight, problems like this is why all my computers are set to DHCP, and I set static IP's within the router.  That way there's no issues if the router ever changes.

Agreed.  I do address reservations in the router for all static devices as well.  That said, I think going that route is a bit too advanced for this particular user, so was trying to get him back up and running as easily as possible.

The user could also just set DHCP to "yes" in the network.cfg file and let the server lease an address.  If DNS is working correctly on the router he should be able to hit it via hostname.

One other thing that might be helpful, in the Windows Command Prompt type "ipconfig /all" and paste the results.

You should have something like this:

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : gateway.innflux.com
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6230
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-DB-DF-03-28-F2
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c03d:1309:d7a1:7bc3%18(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.20.1.147(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.240.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, November 21, 2015 1:18:20 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, November 21, 2015 2:21:30 PM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.20.0.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.20.16.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 671144927
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1B-55-C2-A5-F0-BF-97-E7-B0-E6

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.20.0.1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

I'm wondering if your Subnet Mask may limit the IP range of the devices. That said, are you paying your ISP for the router? If so, and you're feeling adventurous you can save a bit in the money in the long run by buying your own modem and router. I know I've saved over thousand dollars over the years by owning my own equipment. ($9-10/mo over 10+ years). However, if you aren't the kind of person that likes to tinker and learn, that may not be a route for you.

Archived