s3 suspend, WOL, no video

bblue

There should be no time limit.  I've gone weeks in S3 and resumed with no problems.

My bet is on the PSU.  If you have a spare PSU, I'd swap out the PSU and test it with a different one.

Ok, I could try that.  This one is a new Corsair 650TX and seems completely stable when the unit is on for days at a time when no suspend is in play.  I do have an extra 550TX here, but am not sure it will be sufficient to power up 13 drives.  Will give it a shot.  Thanks.

I put the 550TX in last night, and it did power up with all the drives, no problem.  Just took it out of suspend at 21 hours and it came right up as it should.  Next will be a longer suspend time to verify.

Odd too, the 650TX drew .04 watts during suspend.  The smaller 550TX draws .06 watts during suspend.

It's been several days now, and after trying a wakeup with as much as 35 hours of suspend, there have been no problems at all.  Thanks for that tip, Bubba.

Interestingly, I moved the original 650TX supply into a Windows 7 system and it has absolutely no problems resuming after any period of time.  Different motherboard (MSI instead of Gigabyte) and different OS, but still...

--Bill

There are engineering tolerances built into most specs and hardware, and occasionally, they are a little tight, and if you get a mobo that wants POS power a little more than the spec (or the cards plugged into the mobo that get POS power), and a PSU that delivers a little less than the spec, then you can have exactly what you experienced.... particularly if you have some issues with the electrolytic caps. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I just started with unRAID and also having problems with video after waking on LAN. My motherboard has the AMD 785G chipset.

I went through this thread and am somewhat confused. What is the problem behind this, and how does s2ram solve the issue?

I would appreciate if someone can give me some simple instructions on how to use s2ram to fix this. Thanks.

I just started with unRAID and also having problems with video after waking on LAN. My motherboard has the AMD 785G chipset.

I went through this thread and am somewhat confused. What is the problem behind this, and how does s2ram solve the issue?

I would appreciate if someone can give me some simple instructions on how to use s2ram to fix this. Thanks.

Before you mess with s2ram, check your board's BIOS and see if there is an option such as Repost Video on S3 Resume. If there is enable it and it will probably solve your problem.

How s2ram works is already covered and explained in this thread about as well as it can be. It is also fully documented here, http://tr.opensuse.org/S2ram, which is the first s2ram hit on Google.

Before you mess with s2ram, check your board's BIOS and see if there is an option such as Repost Video of S3 Resume. If there is enable it and it will probably solve your problem.

How s2ram works is already covered and explained in this thread about as well as it can be. It is also fully documented here, http://tr.opensuse.org/S2ram, which is the first s2ram hit on Google.

Confirmed that my BIOS doesn't have anything like that :(

Sorry, I'm a bit of a linux n00b so I want to double check if what I'm reading is okay.

So basically, download the s2ram package and put it under /boot/packages/. Where is the package? The link you posted only says it's part of the suspend package. Do I download and put that in /boot/packages?

And I read I need libx86-1.1-i486-1.tgz installed using installpkg, but how do I do that?

And afterwards, I amend the s3.sh script file (found here http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3657.msg41767#msg41767) by changing

echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep

to

/boot/packages/s2ram -f -p -s

...and that is it?

And afterwards, I amend the s3.sh script file (found here http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3657.msg41767#msg41767) by changing

echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep

to

/boot/packages/s2ram -f -p -s

...and that is it?

The actual necessary parameter arguments for s2ram may be different for your motherboard. The link I posted on the other thread explains how to test s2ram and determine which arguments you need.

As to installing, I'd like to help you, but since I'm not using s2ram myself, and would have to research how to do it, with limited free time right now, I hope someone else who is actually using it will step in to give you advice. From dwoods99's post in this thread it sounds as though the link to download the compiled package no longer works. If that is true then maybe someone will re-provide it for you. Otherwise as a Linux noob you may be out of luck.

Okay, I've posted a tarfile on my website, containing:

1) s2ram - the binary file built on Slackware

2) s3_notHrHdTcpIp.txt - the script as I originally downloaded it in July 2010

3) s3.txt - the above file with my modifications

This can be downloaded from here

Can you also provide step by step instructions of how one would install this on their unraid box? thanks.

Original guide is in the Wiki, here.

The Wiki entry points you to this (rather long) thread, where several revisions of the sleep script were posted.

Perhaps, if you are able to follow the discussions, you could update the Wiki when you are done?

Obviously, if you use my version of the s3 script, you need to place the s2ram binary in the root of your flash drive.

While I don't need the instructions to install.  I have started to go through the process and got everything installed but it is still not working.  This is on a new AMD Fusion ASRock E350M1 motherboard.  Anybody that has a AMD integrated chipset have any ideas? Also I noticed a new version of suspend was released on the 6th of March and therefore a new version of s2ram is available.

While I am not enough of a linux noob that I can't get the s2ram installation to work, I still have no idea how I would go about compiling this new version?

Can someone with more experience please compile the new version and post it here?  I am sure I am not the only one that would be eternally grateful.

Obviously, if you use my version of the s3 script, you need to place the s2ram binary in the root of your flash drive.

Can someone with more experience please compile the new version and post it here?  I am sure I am not the only one that would be eternally grateful.

The problem is I don't know what I have to do with s2ram. Hearing 'install' and 'compile' on a linux system kind of scares me - that tells you how much I know about linux. Dropping files into certain directories or editing script files, on the other hand, is something I can do with confidence. If someone can just get me through the s2ram setup portion then I can just type the line to run it in the s3.sh file and be done with it :)

Thanks.