Share Excluded Disk Still Gets Files Written to it.

bakes82

I have a share set up to exclude a couple of disks, but it doesnt seem to be excluding them and data is still constantly being written to them?  Fixes?

here is my cfg for the share

# Generated settings:
shareComment=""
shareInclude="disk1,disk2,disk3,disk4,disk5"
shareExclude="disk6,disk7"
shareUseCache="no"
shareCOW="auto"
shareAllocator="highwater"
shareSplitLevel=""
shareFloor="0"
shareExport="e"
shareSecurity="public"
shareReadList=""
shareWriteList=""
shareExportNFS="-"
shareExportNFSFsid="0"
shareSecurityNFS="public"
shareHostListNFS=""
shareExportAFP="-"
shareSecurityAFP="public"
shareReadListAFP=""
shareWriteListAFP=""
shareVolsizelimitAFP=""
shareVoldbpathAFP=""

funny.. SAME thing happened to me tonight. I was only using the EXCLUDE function. Updated to use BOTH Include and Exclude and it seems to be working now (though i still have a bunch of files in queue). I didnt stop/start the array but that was my next step.

I updated to the most recent version of unraid about 1 hour earlier, so its possible there is an issue in the OS with this.

Edit.. nevermind..seems its all copying to cache..for whatever reason.

Yup still happening for me.  Its only happening for 1 share though which is odd.

This should all come down to the split level that you have set for a share, and the contents of the files within it.

If you have a split level that allows separate entries on any disk, then it should work as expected.

If you have a split level defined that groups all episodes of a folder/season to the disk it originally write to, it will continue filling up that same disk every time there is a new episode.

I don't know off hand how you have this set, but would assume that is the root of the issue.

I looked at you cfg and don't see an entry for split level.

I have no idea what an empty field would equal, however it has to do some splitting.

If this is the issue you need to choose how many levels deep you want your media to be spread.

Also as stated, either include or exclude, never a need for both.

If you know you have 1 disk that is full, exclude it, leave everything else blank and let UnRAID work its magic (minus the issue stated above).

If the excluded disk has files from the share on it, it is still part of the share regardless of what you have set in the webUI.

That's not strictly true.  ALL disks that have the relevant top-level folder will indeed be grouped into any share as far as showing the content of the share, regardless of whether or not they're "included" or "excluded" in the share settings.    But disks not included in the share will NOT be written to UNLESS (as noted above) there are folders within the share that can't be replicated elsewhere due to the split level.    However, while that would seem the most likely reason, the split level shown in your config indicates it's allowed to be split as required -- so that's not the issue.  Are you overwriting files that already exist?    This would cause them to be written to the same disk they're already on.

I goto the disk that the file is being written to (Disk6), I cut the shared folder, and then paste it to Disk5.  Disk 6 then only shows it has the 1 share that is suppose to be on it.  Restart, then as Sonarr picks up TV-Shows and moves them to the "TV-Share" the file will start appearing agian on Disk6.  None of my Disks are "full" they all have 1-2TB free so it odd its trying to write data to Disk6 (1TB drive) when Disks 1-5 are all 4TB and have more than 1 TB free.

I goto the disk that the file is being written to (Disk6), I cut the shared folder, and then paste it to Disk5.  Disk 6 then only shows it has the 1 share that is suppose to be on it.  Restart, then as Sonarr picks up TV-Shows and moves them to the "TV-Share" the file will start appearing agian on Disk6.  None of my Disks are "full" they all have 1-2TB free so it odd its trying to write data to Disk6 (1TB drive) when Disks 1-5 are all 4TB and have more than 1 TB free.

Are you absolutely sure Sonarr isn't configured to write to disk6?