How to calculate max number of connections (disk reads)

detz

Lets assume that the network, cpu and memory can handle the load (transcoding, etc) how many reads can an unraid box handle from the array. Does it matter what disks they're on, do more disks matter or are reads independent? I'm asking because last night my load was 7 (four core machine) and it was because the cpu was waiting on the disk. I was preclearing a disk, doing a parity check and had three streams going. It just got me thinking, assuming people were only streaming how many reads could a normal spinner disk handle and how could I figure that out?

On my Build in my Signature I've had 5 (720) Streams going at the same time. At that time I could of tried more, but I ran out of devices to test it on. ;)

I'm going to say its more than likely based on your network more than your server. I do absolutely no Transcoding so there is no real Server Overhead other than a SMB connection and my network does the rest.

I did some tests a couple of years back when I started using unRAID. I also was limited to the number devices (3 wired clients) and wireless bandwidth. But, going from fuzzy memory, I could only just do (with a little buffering) 3 different 1080p movies all on the same disk served to 3 wired Plex clients.

Archived