[Solved] Win10 and unRaid shares (SMB not detecting server)

I'm really frustrated with Windows10. I decided to do upgrade to Win10 on one my computers and to my surprise TOWER is no longer visible when selecting Network items in windows explorer.

I searched for solution and found one that requires add new registry key

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters\AllowInsecureGuestAuth

That did not solve the problem.

I added new windows credentials for Tower and I can connect to \\TOWER. Shares are accessible however after closing Windows explorer and rebooting everything is gone again until I enter in address bar \\TOWER

I tested Win10 Home 32 bit and Win10 Pro 64 bit with the same result. This is the latest Win10 download.

I tested local user in Win10 and microsoft account.

Running Unraid 6.1.6

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I had similar issues and resolved it, but don't completely understand why it works now and didn't before.  I was using a static IP vs DHCP.  I changed it to DHCP, configured my router (DHCP server) to always make my unRAID box x.x.x.10 and as part of the DHCP data I made my router the WINS server.  That fixed it.

I had the same problem after Windows 10 updated last week. I came across this thread and this in particular:

Windows 10 now uses SMB3, which Samba has not kept up with (according to the link I found). The latest stable build of Samba, though, does support it.

After disabling SMBv2 and SMBv3 on the SMB client in Windows 10 my unRAID machine is no longer hidden.

To disable SMBv2 and SMBv3 on the SMB client, run the following commands:

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi

sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled

To enable SMBv2 and SMBv3 on the SMB client, run the following commands:

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi

sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= auto

*You must restart the computer after you make these changes.