Recommendations for a gpu?

The gpu will only be streaming videos. Since my case is quite small it would be nice to have something small and one that doesnt require 2x 8 pin power.

However I looked around the forums and it seems that some gpus have issues or not preferable. Just wondering which cheap card should I get?

Since my server is near the TV I want to make use of it to run Plex client/stream Steam from another gaming PC. My motherboard already has a onboard gpu and onboard network card (and sound i think).

Besides a new GPU will I need anything else like an extra network card?

Any suggestions is appreciated.. thanks in advance!

edit: also, which os should I go for usually? is there a preferable one for plex/steam?

Just adding what i´ve experienced.

I had a 3 year old ASUS Geforce 610, If i started the VM with unRAID, it started and worked until i did a restart of the VM, the picture never came back. Had to restart the whole "tower".

Found an old AMD, Lenovo branded card, Windows says its a HD 7350. With this card i can restart the VM and get all sound formats working. Booth in Windows and OpenELEC.

What ive read is that Nvidia cards is worse with the passthrough part, but better with HD sound atleast in Linux (OpenELEC). And AMD better at passtrough, but more problem with HD audio, also OpenELEC.

• 3 months later...

Ooops, just saw the replies in this thread. Thanks for the suggestions! Seems like I might get a Sapphire HD6450 afterall.. was actually planning to get gtx750ti but seems like it has issues sometimes too? Then wanted to go for the newest gtx950 but that seemed like a overkill for the price/usage. HD6450 might be perfect if it works flawlessly.. and it's cheap!