backing up files from windows 10 to unraid

chuga

Hi,

I had another post on issues accessing unraid from windows 10, and I know there are lots of other posts on this.

I have never resolved the issue (tried all the registry tweaks, etc).

This questions is specifically on backing up files to unraid from a windows 10 computer.  From windows 7 and previous OS, I used "synctoy" and manually ran jobs to backup pictures, etc to the unraid server.  Now with the issues with unraid not appearing in windows 10 I can't set up synctoy jobs (as I can't add the unraid folder!). 

so the question is, can anyone recommend software (besides synctoy, which won't work) which I can use to backup certain folder on a windows 10 computer to an unraid server?  I assume the software will have to be able to take an IP address or something as destination folder (synctoy won't.)

thanks,

Hi,

I had another post on issues accessing unraid from windows 10, and I know there are lots of other posts on this.

This questions is specifically on backing up files to unraid from a windows 10 computer.  From windows 7 and previous OS, I used "synctoy" and manually ran jobs to backup pictures, etc to the unraid server.  Now with the issues with unraid not appearing in windows 10 I can't set up synctoy jobs (as I can't add the unraid folder!). 

so the question is, can anyone recommend software (besides synctoy, which won't work) which I can use to backup certain folder on a windows 10 computer to an unraid server?  I assume the software will have to be able to take an IP address or something as destination folder (synctoy won't.)

thanks,

Synctoy works just fine in W10.  You may have to manually type or copy/paste the address on right side of sync pair.

And I use it with task scheduler for weekly backup.

Cheers and happy new year

Dan

Sorry I was not all the way clear.  I can use sync toy fine in Windows 10 when the destination folder is another hard drive in a Windows machine.  However when I want to use an unraid filter in the destination "browse" box it is not available

Are you saying sync toy will let you enter \\192.168.1.xxx\folder.  Manually?

Thanks

I have used SyncBack (Free) "You really don't need any version beyond that version". Successfully for creating backup Profiles and Schedules. Multiple in some cases for me (Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Yearly) all with different parameters (e.g. Yearly overwrites, the others increment but don't delete) and I now just leave it alone running in a seperate VM occasionally checking the reports it spits out for errors and warnings but mostly just letting it chug along backing up my important files every day. I LOVE it!

If you're not into conferring something like that (even though I would say the time it takes to get your head around it is very worth it) then a more simple copy tool something like Teracopy is awesome and even integrates itself with Windows.

Links below:

http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html

http://www.codesector.com/teracopy

Hi,

I was able to solve the problem without regestry tweaks by turning off SMB2 and SMB3 in Windows for the time being (this does involve going into CMD though...)

... hopefully SAMBA will be updated in the future to a version that plays nice with Window's implmentations of SMB2 and SMB3.

I think the problem that required the Registry tweek was fixed by Windows during the Windows 10 beta period. 

Archived