Fill-up allocation method

I realize I could just create a "media" share and let unraid worry about where to place the data, but is there a better way?

Luca

It really is all personal preference.  I have my audio, DVD's, TV Show rips, and SciFi rips all in separate folders.  I prefer it that way so that I can fill a drive as I go and keep all the SciFi on one drive (at least for now)  The only collection I have that spans more then one drive is my DVD's.  The new Fillup option for share allocation is what I really want to use but I am currently running 4.4.2 and it does not have this option.  I instead restrict what disks a share is allowed to use and that gives me the "Fill up" option but with a little more work (not that big a deal to me).

I am starting a new thread here, hopefully this is a better place to discuss this topic.  :) The fill-up option that you mention sounds good. If I understand it correctly, it should start filling the "included disks" in series, right? For instance, if I have disk5, 6 and 7 assigned to the "Movies" share, will it start filling disk 5, then when 5 is full move to 6, etc?

Luca

I am starting a new thread here, hopefully this is a better place to discuss this topic.  :) The fill-up option that you mention sounds good. If I understand it correctly, it should start filling the "included disks" in series, right? For instance, if I have disk5, 6 and 7 assigned to the "Movies" share, will it start filling disk 5, then when 5 is full move to 6, etc?

Luca

Correct.  Whenever a new directory or file is created on the share, it picks the lowest-numbered disk with free space remaining which is still above the specified 'Min. free space' value.  Hence you should pick the 'Min. free space' value carefully depending on the typical amount of data you expect to be transferring to the share.

For example, suppose you typically transfer 6GB of 'ripped' video in one go.  In this case you probably want to set 'Min. free space' to say 8GB.  That way, as a disk fills up eventually amount of free space will drop below 8GB and it will no longer be used for new files.

Another reason for setting a 'floor' on the amount of free space (for any of the allocation methods) is to handle case where an existing file is extended.  A file can not span multiple disks, so if it grows beyond the free space of the disk it's on, then you will get 'Out of Space' error messages even though the share itself can show lots of free space.

Correct.  Whenever a new directory or file is created on the share, it picks the lowest-numbered disk with free space remaining which is still above the specified 'Min. free space' value.  Hence you should pick the 'Min. free space' value carefully depending on the typical amount of data you expect to be transferring to the share.

For example, suppose you typically transfer 6GB of 'ripped' video in one go.  In this case you probably want to set 'Min. free space' to say 8GB.  That way, as a disk fills up eventually amount of free space will drop below 8GB and it will no longer be used for new files.

Another reason for setting a 'floor' on the amount of free space (for any of the allocation methods) is to handle case where an existing file is extended.  A file can not span multiple disks, so if it grows beyond the free space of the disk it's on, then you will get 'Out of Space' error messages even though the share itself can show lots of free space.

This is what I was looking for. Good point on the "min free space" setting. My largest video is 13GB at the moment, 20-25GB should be good for the video drives.

Luca

• 2 months later...

I am using fill-up as the allocation method. I have drives 3 and 4 assigned to the backup share. Drive 3 is full and drive 4 is getting there, so I need to add at least one drive. Drives 5, 6, 7, etc are already being used by different shares, but I managed to free up drives 1 and 2. Am I going to screw anything up by assigning drives 1 and 2 to backup?

Not everyone wants to enter every drive into their HTPC every time something changes. Just do it through the user share and it magically ends up in the right place and storage is managed.

Just 'cause I can linux doesn't mean I want to linux when I just want to watch some video.

Not everyone wants to enter every drive into their HTPC every time something changes. Just do it through the user share and it magically ends up in the right place and storage is managed.

Just 'cause I can linux doesn't mean I want to linux when I just want to watch some video.

This is pretty much what I did when I just started a week or so ago. I setup a user share and just copied my entire backup to it and let unRaid figure out where to put the files. I'm currently trying to decide if it is worth trying to consolidate drives now so that it spins up less drives but I'm not sure its worth the trouble  ;D

• 2 weeks later...

I am using fill-up as the allocation method. I have drives 3 and 4 assigned to the backup share. Drive 3 is full and drive 4 is getting there, so I need to add at least one drive. Drives 5, 6, 7, etc are already being used by different shares, but I managed to free up drives 1 and 2. Am I going to screw anything up by assigning drives 1 and 2 to backup?

I can't think of any reason for anything to be 'screwed up', but if I take Tom's explanation literally, then I think your unRAID server will stop saving to Disk 4, and start saving to Disk 1 instead.  Once full, it will fill Disk 2, then return to saving to Disk 4.

• 2 weeks later...