Mounting an SSD outside of the array

mossiemosforth

Hi guys. I've just received a new SSD which I intend on putting in my server to store my docker image, containers & VMs, I have a question about mounting it outside of the array.

I did this once before with an old vertex 2 drive using SNAP, the downside I now see is that I never had a SMART status on this drive. If I had then it may have prevented me loosing all my VMs and dockers when it died :( I had to rebuild everything from scratch onto my cache drive, but as this is a spinning disk it does put a fair bit of wear on the drive along with the larger power consumption (electricity in the UK isn't cheap).

Is SNAP still the best method? Has it improved and now you can see the status of the drive on the dashboard?

or is there a better method?

Advice welcome, TIA

What about individual shares. Can/how do you manage that when the drive is mounted outside the array?

Also, do you get SMART info the OP is asking about?

Unassigned Devices plugin will let you mount/unmount each partition on the drive and you can choose whether to share it or not. They cannot be part of the unRAID user shares though.

You can get SMART from an Unassigned Device.

What about individual shares. Can/how do you manage that when the drive is mounted outside the array?

Unassigned Devices plugin will let you mount/unmount each partition on the drive and you can choose whether to share it or not. They cannot be part of the unRAID user shares though.

OK, I'm probably threadjacking here, but since the OPs original question was answered...

Suppose I want user shares on a drive outside the array without sharing the whole drive (ie folders accessible by only certain users).  Would I need to modify smb.conf to make that happen?

OK, I'm probably threadjacking here, but since the OPs original question was answered...

Suppose I want user shares on a drive outside the array without sharing the whole drive (ie folders accessible by only certain users).  Would I need to modify smb.conf to make that happen?

I think the usual way is to modify or create smb-extra.conf in your flash config folder and it gets merged.

Or maybe not merged exactly, maybe it is just linked somehow. Don't really know the details but I don't think a reboot is required so it is probably just referenced in some way instead of merged.

Archived