best option for VPN torrenting

daan_SVK

hey there fellow unraid users,

I'm looking for the easiest way to achieve a setup where I could utilize my VPN (Private Internet Access) with a torrent client. Is there a plugin that would accommodate this or do I need to go with a VM with a full blown OS and then just set up VPN there to do this? Sounds like an overkill to have a full VM to do just that.

thanks for the insight!

I have plenty of horsepower and RAM on my unRAID so I found it to be simplest just to make a windows VM.  It has sonarr, couchpotato, torrent and a constantly running VPN.  Works great.  I like the idea of a docker, but it seemed like it could be complex and I'm not experienced enough with dockers/linux to know if it was working as I wanted it to.

I have plenty of horsepower and RAM on my unRAID so I found it to be simplest just to make a windows VM.  It has sonarr, couchpotato, torrent and a constantly running VPN.  Works great.  I like the idea of a docker, but it seemed like it could be complex and I'm not experienced enough with dockers/linux to know if it was working as I wanted it to.

Fair enough if it works for you, but docker isn't that complicated once you "get" it.  Worth investing a bit of time in as you can reproduce your containers much quicker if there is a problem than getting a VM up and going with everything installed.

Dockers every time.  It is as simple as finding it and installing it (depending on your net speed a 10 minute process)

then mapping config to /mnt/cache/appdata/deluge in the gui and

then mapping data to /mnt/cache/downloads

You can then either manually grab it and move it or use another docker to - for TV shows as an example you could use binhex sonarr

for this map

config to /mnt/cache/appdata/Sonarr

data to /mnt/cache/downloads/

media to /mnt/user/TV Shows/

With those 2 - Sonarr would identify yoru tv episodes tell deluge vpn to download it - then when it has downloaded move it to your TVshows share.

easy peasy and all with lovely web guis.

thanks for the suggestions,

I don't have a lot of horse power, probably enough to have a win7 VM running but I'd much rather have a docker doing the job.

how does the VPN config looks in Deluge? does it have a Gui or would I need a config file? would someone be able to share a screenshot?

thanks for the suggestions,

I don't have a lot of horse power, probably enough to have a win7 VM running but I'd much rather have a docker doing the job.

how does the VPN config looks in Deluge? does it have a Gui or would I need a config file? would someone be able to share a screenshot?

The VPN is all setup in the docker config file...  Deluge looks the same as it's always looked.  The VPN functionality also provides a proxy to route other traffic over the VPN and features a kill switch.... If the VPN is down, no traffic out...

Here's the relevant bit of the docker config...

VPN_USER & VPN_PASSWORD are self explanatory, VPN_REMOTE is the VPN server you wish to connect to, LAN_RANGE allows you to specify a, well, lan range, which if you try to direct a browser using the proxy the traffic won't be sent over the VPN, so for instance, if Firefox is configured to use the proxy and you try and visit http://192.168.1.1 which is a machine on your LAN and within the LAN range then the container will not forward this over the proxy and instead direct it internally on the LAN..

Ignore me, I'm completely and utterly wrong on this bit, see Jonathan's post below....  :-[::)

sOMpBqA.jpg

LAN_RANGE allows you to specify a, well, lan range, which if you try to direct a browser using the proxy the traffic won't be sent over the VPN

?? I thought lan range was the firewall hole that is set up to allow local lan clients to manage deluge, instead of requiring all deluge management to happen through its webgui??

Maybe I misunderstood, because the only time I played with the proxy part was after I first set it up, and I didn't try to hit any local sites, just a couple whatismyip type sites to see what happened.

LAN_RANGE allows you to specify a, well, lan range, which if you try to direct a browser using the proxy the traffic won't be sent over the VPN

?? I thought lan range was the firewall hole that is set up to allow local lan clients to manage deluge, instead of requiring all deluge management to happen through its webgui??

Maybe I misunderstood, because the only time I played with the proxy part was after I first set it up, and I didn't try to hit any local sites, just a couple whatismyip type sites to see what happened.

Actually you might be right, just looked into my config a bit more and completely forgot I'd modified FireFox's config.....

n1e7p6E.jpg

Thought is was down to LAN_RANGE...

My bad....  :-[

• 2 years later...
On 1/11/2016 at 1:36 PM, Adam64 said:

Go with dockers if you can. Will require you to explore it a bit but you'll get used to it.

Archived