SqueezeBox Server 7.5

This morning I have tried an install of mySQL from unMENU, no change to the error

Then I tried chown -R slimserver:users .

I also ran chown -R slimserver:1000 ./_slimserver  -no change

Just checking the passwd file by running cat /etc/passwd, is the last line correct?

slimserver::1000:100:,,,:/home/slimserver:/bin/bash

As opposed to;

slimserver:$1$oExleBv6$Ux2qBpAanWMqJqUeH2xqp1:1000:100:,,,:/home/slimserver:/bin/bash

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This morning I have tried an install of mySQL from unMENU, no change to the error

Then I tried chown -R slimserver:users .

I also ran chown -R slimserver:1000 ./_slimserver  -no change

Just checking the passwd file by running cat /etc/passwd, is the last line correct?

slimserver::1000:100:,,,:/home/slimserver:/bin/bash

As opposed to;

slimserver:$1$oExleBv6$Ux2qBpAanWMqJqUeH2xqp1:1000:100:,,,:/home/slimserver:/bin/bash

The "$" characters have to be escaped if you are "Echoing" it into /etc/password

SO...

echo "slimserver:\$1\$oExleBv6\$Ux2qBpAanWMqJqUeH2xqp1:1000:100:,,,:/home/slimserver:/bin/bash" >> /etc/password

Excellent, that seems to of done it  ;D ;DI thought I was going to give up on this as I jsut couldn't figure out where I had gone wrong. I copied that echo statement from two different locations and neither of them had the speach marks included. Can't thank you enough ;D

Just checked to see if the web page is up and it is, so stepping through the setup screens and I've hit another issue. Can't seem to use the navigation to point to my music folder. It has the file system structure layed out as a tree but I can't drill down to find my music folder if that makes sense. Tried hard entry on the text line under this using /mnt/disk5/FLAC and it flashes red when I hit next. Ideas?

Can't seem to use the navigation to point to my music folder. It has the file system structure layed out as a tree but I can't drill down to find my music folder if that makes sense. Tried hard entry on the text line under this using /mnt/disk5/FLAC and it flashes red when I hit next. Ideas?

I have no problem 'drilling down'.  Perhaps this is a permissions issue on the folders?

May well be permissions again but it is effecting the entire directory stricture so I can't drill into any folders. Later I will reboot the unRAID server to make sure everything cleared up and the mySQL I installed is now not active.

Strangely I am actually really happy to have got this far :) I can now point my SB3's at my unRAID and use Internet radio and slimserver.net! Small achievements to some of you guys but I'm really happy so far :) thanks for all the help.

Gosh I'm so close now ::) I have rebooted and gone through passwords again and it's all up and running. Went the the web page and run through the wizzard but couldn't drill down again. However this time I was able to hard code the path to my music folder and it worked. So now I am in the main Slimserver main page, both SB3's are configured and see the web server, I have run a re-scan of the music folder to which it reports complete and list number of albums, artists etc However no music shows up on the web interface or the SB3's :(

Almost there ;D

I need a little celebration smiley ;D ;D It's all working ;D

Not sure really what happened but I killed the Slimserver process and started it again without the daemon part so I could see any errors but it all looked good and listed all the music that it had imported. So I switch on an SB3 and sure enough all my music was there ;D Boy am I happy right now.

Thanks for all your help guys, this forum (and product) rocks.

Now I've got to work out the auto start for when I reboot the server....

Well I managed to get the squeezbox server running, with excellent instructions given by the members here, but I have a small problem, by running the 777 command on my music folder though I am able to view/browse it on squeezebox server on <ip add>:9000, what this command also does is that it makes my files on my music share  on Unraid invisible. That is I no longer am able to view them. I have to run a 666 back again to be able to view them, but this makes the files invisible on the squeeze box server website.

How can I resolve this ....

prostuff1 ..... Apologies I removed the post the moment I figured out where to look for them (didn't realize that you made the reply in the mean time) thought it would kinda be a stupid query, but can you help me with the above problem ........ also as andyjayh how can we make sure that we do not have to run all the commands again if we have to restart the Unraid server ....

Regards

Sammy

People having Android can use your mobile to stream your music collection on Unraid. I just tried this and it works flawlessly even on 3G.

After your Squeeze Box is up and running on your Unraid download Squeeze Player from the market. SP stream all your Logitech Squeezebox content directly to your Android Device?

Squeeze Player Just acts as your SB server, all you need is a player. For that download Squeeze Control for free or Squeeze Commander (Paid) or any other player of your choose.

Run Squeeze Player on your android and it automatically detects your Tower if you are in the same wifi network.  Then run you player (Squeeze Control) on the same device........... put your internal ip and thats it. You would be able to browse your songs in the similar manner as you do on your PC using SBS

The best part is that you can also run Squeeze Control on 3G. (Your full music collection on the go available to you, on your own Music Server  :);D ) Full instructions are provided by the app owner at http://www.squeezeplayer.com/2011/05/how-to-connect-via-3g/

Hope this info is useful to someone ..

Regards

Sammy

PS :: Anyone who can help me on my 777 issue, I stated in my above post.

Now I've got to work out the auto start for when I reboot the server....

andyjayhdid you find a successful way to auto restart SBS, if we have to reboot the server.

Regards

Sammy

PS ::: Friends any update how can we tackle the 777 issue I mentioned in my post above.

Damm I restarted the server today, repeated all the commands again ....

cd /mnt/disk1

chmod -R 777 slimserver 

chmod -R 777 Music\ Listening (or the name of your music directory)

echo >> /etc/passwd

echo slimserver:$1$oExleBv6$Ux2qBpAanWMqJqUeH2xqp1:1000:100:,,,:/home/slimserver:/bin/bash >> /etc/passwd

chown -R slimserver.users .

cd slimserver

perl slimserver.pl --daemon --user slimserver

and this is what I get now ........ disappointment man, it was working perfectly yesterday ....... please friends help me out here ...

Warning: World-writable config file '/mnt/disk1/slimserver/Cache/my.cnf' is ignored

Warning: World-writable config file '/mnt/disk1/slimserver/Cache/my.cnf' is ignored

[11-08-11 12:19:29.1154] Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (82) Error: DBI Connection failed: DBI connect('hostname=127.0.0.1;port=9092;database                                        =slimserver','slimserver',...) failed: Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (111) at /mnt/disk1/slimserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm lin                                        e 950

[11-08-11 12:19:29.1160] Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (82) Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Utils::Log::logBacktrace (/mnt/disk1/slimserver/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 82)

frame 1: Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (/mnt/disk1/slimserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 972)

frame 2: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_connect (/mnt/disk1/slimserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 814)

frame 3: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_populate_dbh (/mnt/disk1/slimserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 753)

frame 4: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::ensure_connected (/mnt/disk1/slimserver/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 41)

frame 5: (eval) (/mnt/disk1/slimserver/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 41)

frame 6: Slim::Schema::Storage::dbh (/mnt/disk1/slimserver/Slim/Schema.pm line 290)

frame 7: Slim::Schema::_connect (/mnt/disk1/slimserver/Slim/Schema.pm line 126)

frame 8: Slim::Schema::init (/mnt/disk1/slimserver/Slim/Music/Import.pm line 744)

frame 9: Slim::Music::Import::_checkLibraryStatus (/mnt/disk1/slimserver/Slim/Music/Import.pm line 677)

frame 10: Slim::Music::Import::useImporter (/mnt/disk1/slimserver/Slim/Music/MusicFolderScan.pm line 48)

frame 11: Slim::Music::MusicFolderScan::init (slimserver.pl line 438)

frame 12: main::init (slimserver.pl line 581)

frame 13: main::main (slimserver.pl line 1075)

[11-08-11 12:19:29.1164] Slim::Schema::init (129) Error: Couldn't connect to database! Fatal error: [] Exiting!

[11-08-11 12:19:29.1167] Slim::Schema::init (129) Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Utils::Log::logBacktrace (/mnt/disk1/slimserver/Slim/Schema.pm line 129)

frame 1: Slim::Schema::init (/mnt/disk1/slimserver/Slim/Music/Import.pm line 744)

frame 2: Slim::Music::Import::_checkLibraryStatus (/mnt/disk1/slimserver/Slim/Music/Import.pm line 677)

frame 3: Slim::Music::Import::useImporter (/mnt/disk1/slimserver/Slim/Music/MusicFolderScan.pm line 48)

frame 4: Slim::Music::MusicFolderScan::init (slimserver.pl line 438)

frame 5: main::init (slimserver.pl line 581)

frame 6: main::main (slimserver.pl line 1075)

[11-08-11 12:19:29.1172] Slim::Schema::forceCommit (1622) Warning: Trying to commit transactions before DB is initialized!

root@SamTower:/mnt/disk1/slimserver#

Kindly Assist.

Regards

Sammy

Ok sorted the above part ....... I have to dig very carefull in the same thread again to get this resolved. A whole hearten thanks to johnieutah for providing solution to this.

The whole issue is because the cache directory under slimserver dir should not be 777. When we run a 777 on slim server dir, make sure that we also run a 775 on the cache directory. and things would be back. So for the community these are the steps I took to get the entire thing running ...

Download Logitech Media Server: Unix Tarball (for Perl 5.8/5.10, Darwin, i386, x86_64, i386 FreeBSD, ARM EABI, PowerPC)

AND

SqueezePlay: Windows Executable Installer

from

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.5

copy your squeezeboxserver-7.5.6-32834.tgz (Logitech Media Server: Unix Tarball) on your disk1

NOTE :: Its a gz file, dont rename it, just copy as it is

Log on to your local Unraid page

Click on Package Manager

download and install Perl and enable on start up (this is for 7.5 non bubble version)

No need to download SQL

Telnet into Tower, and run:

cd /mnt/disk1/

tar -xf squeezeboxserver-7.5.6-32834.gz

mv squeezeboxserver-7.5.6-32834/ slimserver/

cd /mnt/disk1

chmod -R 777 slimserver  

chmod -R 777 Audio\ Media (what ever is the name of your music directory)

echo >> /etc/passwd

echo slimserver:$1$oExleBv6$Ux2qBpAanWMqJqUeH2xqp1:1000:100:,,,:/home/slimserver:/bin/bash >> /etc/passwd

chown -R slimserver.users .

cd slimserver

chmod -R 775 Cache

perl slimserver.pl --daemon --user slimserver

To see if the server has started

ps -ef

You should see a series of commands at the bottom that start like "/mnt/disk1/slimserver/bin/i386- ...."

Go to your browser and type ...

<<your internal IP of Unraid>>:9000

You would be presented with a list of long directories. What you should look for is the /mnt directory,

which should have disk1 and disk2. From there on you can navigate to your music folder.

Select the music folder. click next then choose a playlist folder. Click next, next and finish.

Finally you would be presented with the home screen, with number of options under "My Music".

Your collection would be under "Music Folder"

One last important step.

Install SqueezePlay, that you downloaded at the first step and run it. You would not be able to play music from your browser unless you have SqueezePlay running.

Once that is done you can start playing your music either from Browser or SqueezePlay player itself.

Hope this helps someone.

Regards

Sammy

Friends Now That I have set up the music streaming, can anyone suggest how to password protect the SBS server. It seems anyone can enter the server WebGUI, if the IP is known. I am planning to access my SBS via internet by port fw 9000 and 3483, but before I do that I need to know, how to secure it by password protecting it. I checked in the setting options of the WebGUI interface but could not find anything.

Any input on this.

Regards

Sammy

Friends ..... I see no response on any of my queries. Anyway thats okie. I couldnt find a way to password protect the SBS, though I managed ot get even better security. I used OpenSSH to connect to SBS via terminal. This would let us avoid the 9000 and 3483 port FWing

Following are the steps to set up SSH to use your SBS.

1. go to your router settings and port fw the SSH port 22 to your NAS Unraid IP

2. Download windows terminal client putty and open it up

3. under connection (left hand menu) open SSH

4. Under SSH click on tunnel

5. Put 9000 in your source port

6. put your Unraid server ip:9000 in destination

e.g 192.168.0.120:9000

7. click on ADD

it would look like : L9000    192.168.0.120:9000

8. Click on Logging under session

a. either put your public IP (if its static)

b  OR bind your IP with DynDns and put the URL. It would be something like

your DNS Name.dyndns-home.com

9. Select SSH and port should be 22

10. Save the connection and connect

10. Put your Unraid Server credentials.

Once connected you have created a tunnel and told OpenSSH daemon to forward port 9000 through this tunnel

11 open your browser and put http://localhost:9000/

you should be able to see your SBS.

Safe n Secure without any port FWing.

Regards

Sammy

PS :: I hope somebody can help me for my 777 issue and how to make the SBS auto restart if Unraid is rebooted

andyjayhdid you find a successful way to auto restart SBS, if we have to reboot the server.

Not quite yet but I haven't really thought about it too hard to be honest. One step I did take is ensuring the slimserver username is persevered during a reboot of the server. I achieved this by using the same echo commands but to the /boot/config/passwd file. This will then create the /etc/passwd file on reboot so figured best place to update rather than using the Go script. My last reboot tested this and it worked perfectly. I have assumed all i need do now is add the perl script line into the Go script to start at reboot. Haven't tried this yet though.

Thanks andyjayh, can you share the commands you took to achieve the same. if I am not asking too much .....  :)

Any idea how can we resolve the 777 issue. I was hoping prostuff1 could shed some light on this, but havent got his response........I hope I didnt offend him by deleting my own post that he replied  :(.... (totally unintentional)

As I said, it was exactly the same as the commands o update the etc/passwd file but just the /boot/config/passwd file instead to preserver post reboot. Here is what I typed;

Cd /boot/config

echo >> passwd

echo "slimserver:\$1\$oExleBv6\$Ux2qBpAanWMqJqUeH2xqp1:1000:100:,,,:/home/slimserver:/bin/bash" >> passwd

Sorry, I have no idea regarding your problem with 777 as this works fine for me.

When you shoot a 777 command to your music folder, are you able to view files in the windows explorer??? Coz thats what is happening to me. 777 makes my files invisible in explorer, but makes it available in the SBS. 666 makes my files visible in windows explorer but makes it invisible in SBS ... :(

Thanks andyjayh, can you share the commands you took to achieve the same. if I am not asking too much .....  :)

Any idea how can we resolve the 777 issue. I was hoping prostuff1 could shed some light on this, but havent got his response........I hope I didnt offend him by deleting my own post that he replied  :(.... (totally unintentional)

No offense taken, just busy doing other things and I tend to gloss over certain threads if I am busy.

You can add the chmod 777 and 775 commands to your go script , just make sure you have the correct directories and that they exist.  I would add something like a "sleep 30" command before running them so as to try and give the array enough time to come up.

Something like:

cd /mnt/disk1
echo "perl slimserver.pl --daemon --user slimserver" | at now + 1 minute

after the above mentioned chmod commands should start slimserver from the go file and after the server has booted up.

Thanks prostuff1 I shall definitely give this a try, but this is for the automation part. My original issue was that when I give a 777 command to my Audio Files folder, it makes my files invisible in explorer, but makes it available in the SBS. I have to shoot a 666 to makes my files visible in windows explorer but then that makes them invisible in SBS ...... I am kinda stuck in this circle ???. How can I issue a 777 to slim-server folder and still be able to view my files normal in windows explorer ...... 

I would add something like a "sleep 30" command before running them so as to try and give the array enough time to come up.

Something like:

cd /mnt/disk1
echo "perl slimserver.pl --daemon --user slimserver" | at now + 1 minute

after the above mentioned chmod commands should start slimserver from the go file and after the server has booted up.

Excellent, ta for this. Will try it out tomorrow ;D

Thanks prostuff1 I shall definitely give this a try, but this is for the automation part. My original issue was that when I give a 777 command to my Audio Files folder, it makes my files invisible in explorer, but makes it available in the SBS. I have to shoot a 666 to makes my files visible in windows explorer but then that makes them invisible in SBS ...... I am kinda stuck in this circle ???. How can I issue a 777 to slim-server folder and still be able to view my files normal in windows explorer ...... 

Let me think on it a little bit more, and get back to you.  It is a permission issue on the windows side.  Maybe just hit the "Show hidden and system files" would make them show up on windows.