SqueezeBox Server 7.5

Ok, changed the slimstart.sh to point to the new slim center install and starting and stopping it works fine now through the bubba web interface.  However, the autostart isn't working for me ???  I've set it to autostart and bubbaraid creates a slimserver.autostart file.  But it's not firing it up for some reason :(

Any ideas guys?

Matt.

I have always had problems with the autostarting, for whatever reason.  I usually just start it manually and be done with it.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

O.K. I have searched the site and managed to install Perl via unmenu and have everything working great.

I have one quick question in the instructions you indicate that you may need to add the following using VI

slimserver:$1$oExleBv6$Ux2qBpAanWMqJqUeH2xqp1:1000:100:,,,:/home/slimserver:/bin/bash

In my case I bumbled with Vi and didn't figure it out so I used mc selected the passwd file and hit F4 to edit it.  I manually typed the above saved it and then everything worked great.  Over the weekend we had a power bump and I had to manually type the above again to get everything started.  Is there any way to permanently add this line so Squeezeserver works next time I reboot?

Thanks,

Dan

O.K. I have searched the site and managed to install Perl via unmenu and have everything working great.

I have one quick question in the instructions you indicate that you may need to add the following using VI

slimserver:$1$oExleBv6$Ux2qBpAanWMqJqUeH2xqp1:1000:100:,,,:/home/slimserver:/bin/bash

In my case I bumbled with Vi and didn't figure it out so I used mc selected the passwd file and hit F4 to edit it.  I manually typed the above saved it and then everything worked great.  Over the weekend we had a power bump and I had to manually type the above again to get everything started.  Is there any way to permanently add this line so Squeezeserver works next time I reboot?

Thanks,

Dan

Take a look at this post in the thread.  At the end I explained how to add the line without using vi.

If you add those lines to the the go script (in /boot/config/) you should be able to add the user before the Squeezebox server starts.

Ok, changed the slimstart.sh to point to the new slim center install and starting and stopping it works fine now through the bubba web interface.  However, the autostart isn't working for me ???  I've set it to autostart and bubbaraid creates a slimserver.autostart file.  But it's not firing it up for some reason :(

Any ideas guys?

Matt.

I have always had problems with the autostarting, for whatever reason.  I usually just start it manually and be done with it.

There must be a reason though ???  The previous version of bubbaraid that I was using didn't have the auto-start feature, so it just started everytime.  I can't figure out why it's not working.  And I can't debug it either >:(.  I've asked bubba on his thread, but he doesn't seem to be around.  But like I said, there must be a fairly simple reason why this isn't working firing it up.

Matt.

Now that I have this running, I would love to read descriptions of how people have this setup in their own homes (i.e. what hardware are you using, stereo receivers and recommendations for someone starting from scratch who is looking do do whole house audio.  Is there a forum people would recommend for this kind of info?

Thanks,

Dan

Now that I have this running, I would love to read descriptions of how people have this setup in their own homes (i.e. what hardware are you using, stereo receivers and recommendations for someone starting from scratch who is looking do do whole house audio.  Is there a forum people would recommend for this kind of info?

Thanks,

Dan

Logitech is the main player here so I would check out there page and there forum.

Bump for the thread and if anyone can help me debugging and sortign out the squeeze server auto start it'd be much appreciated.  Even adding the 2 lines of code to the go script doesn't work  ???

Matt.

There are a couple of things that could be causing to not autostart.  I would send bubbaQ a private message to see if you get a response that way.  You can also try turning on and off the autostart feature to see if that causes it to finally catch.  If you disable his autostart I would suggest adding some command like sleep 15 before the start of the slimserver process.

you can also do something like this:

echo "perl /mnt/disk1/slimserver/slimserver.pl --daemon --user slimserver" | at now + 2 minutes

that will start eh slimserver process two minutes after that line runs.  that may make it so that the array has come online and everything will work... maybe.

Thanks for your help mate, the sleep 15 seems to work a treat.

BTW, in my go script I'm launching squeezecenter without the perl command... seems to work fine but no idea why ???

/mnt/disk2/Programs/squeezeboxserver-7.4.2-29389/slimserver.pl --daemon --user slimserver >/dev/null 2>&1 &

It works so I'm not complaining.

Cheers, Matt.

Thanks to the info in this thread, i finally took the time to get slimserver running on 4.4.2, without bubbaRaid. I had installed llink earlier this year, and didn't want to mess that up switching to bubbaRaid (dunno if it would have), and had been intimidated to get slimserver installed manually.

1) Using unmenu, i installed Perl and MySql, manually getting the tgz files from: ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-12.2/slackware

2) downloaded squeezeboxserver-7.5.0-29618.tgz

3) followed the info in the OP to get slimserver running on disk3 (same drive as my audio files)

Note that might help others

- slimserver would not start until i restarted the box; would give stream of these errors and exit:

Warning: World-writable config file '/mnt/disk1/slimserver/Cache/my.cnf' is ignored

I realy appreciate the information available here!

John

• 3 weeks later...

Slimserver i put on disk3 only, and added lines to the go script to start it.

Perl and MySql were installed and automatically restarted by unmenu. I know there are MySql folders on disk1, haven't looked into Perl's location.

Is it necessary to do a separate install of MySQL? I was under the impression that Slimserver already came with MySQL. Also what version of unraid are you using?

thanks

Slimserver i put on disk3 only, and added lines to the go script to start it.

Perl and MySql were installed and automatically restarted by unmenu. I know there are MySql folders on disk1, haven't looked into Perl's location.

Is it necessary to do a separate install of MySQL? I was under the impression that Slimserver already came with MySQL. Also what version of unraid are you using?

thanks

I am on version 4.4.2

thanks

I am using 4.4.2.

Initially, I installed Slimserver first and got errors related to MySQL, which went away when I installed MySQL.

Recently I changed the unmenu setting to not reinstall MySQL, and Slimserver continues to perform properly. MySQL was actually getting in the way of easy shutdowns because it kept one of the array drives running (disk1 in my case).

Also, upgraded to 4.5 yesterday and everything is still working properly  :)

• 3 months later...

Ok it's upgrade time and I'm trying to get Squeezebox Server 7.5.0 working... which is annoying since I did have it going a few months back but rolled back to a stable release  >:(

I'm getting the error message when trying to launch the process:-

root@Tower:/mnt/disk1/Programs/squeezeboxserver-7.5.0-30464# perl slimserver.pl --daemon --user slimserver
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
        LANGUAGE = (unset),
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LC_COLLATE = "C",
        LANG = "en_US"
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
Your locale was detected as C, you may have problems with non-Latin filenames.  Consider changing your LANG variable to the correct locale, i.e. en_US.utf8
[10-04-13 15:30:43.5922] main::init (323) Starting Squeezebox Server (v7.5.0, r30464, Thu Apr  1 06:28:42 MDT 2010) perl 5.010000
root@Tower:/mnt/disk1/Programs/squeezeboxserver-7.5.0-30464# Can't call method "log" on an undefined value at /mnt/disk1/Programs/squeezeboxserver-7.5.0-30464/CPAN/Log/Log4perl/Appender.pm line 189.

I've no idea how to sort it.  I've sorted out the permissions and ownership issues but this one has me stumped ???

Any ideas guys?

Thanks, Matt.

Ok it's upgrade time and I'm trying to get Squeezebox Server 7.5.0 working... which is annoying since I did have it going a few months back but rolled back to a stable release  >:(

I'm getting the error message when trying to launch the process:-

root@Tower:/mnt/disk1/Programs/squeezeboxserver-7.5.0-30464# perl slimserver.pl --daemon --user slimserver
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
        LANGUAGE = (unset),
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LC_COLLATE = "C",
        LANG = "en_US"
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
Your locale was detected as C, you may have problems with non-Latin filenames.  Consider changing your LANG variable to the correct locale, i.e. en_US.utf8
[10-04-13 15:30:43.5922] main::init (323) Starting Squeezebox Server (v7.5.0, r30464, Thu Apr  1 06:28:42 MDT 2010) perl 5.010000
root@Tower:/mnt/disk1/Programs/squeezeboxserver-7.5.0-30464# Can't call method "log" on an undefined value at /mnt/disk1/Programs/squeezeboxserver-7.5.0-30464/CPAN/Log/Log4perl/Appender.pm line 189.

I've no idea how to sort it.  I've sorted out the permissions and ownership issues but this one has me stumped ???

Any ideas guys?

Thanks, Matt.

I would look at line 189 of /mnt/disk1/Programs/squeezeboxserver-7.5.0-30464/CPAN/Log/Log4perl/Appender.pm to see where it is trying to write what is apparently a "log" file.  You might just be missing a directory in the log path, or an id.

Try this command to see the lines involved in some context.(it will print lines 180 through 200):

sed -n 180,200p /mnt/disk1/Programs/squeezeboxserver-7.5.0-30464/CPAN/Log/Log4perl/Appender.pm

Joe L.

Thanks for the reply.  The log file is created and written to though (the whole "starting squeezebox" - but that's it), the server just dies when this perl loggin error pops up.  I suppose I could add my own system out to see what it's trying to write to the log file!

root@Tower:~# sed -n 180,200p /mnt/disk1/Programs/squeezeboxserver-7.5.0-30464/CPAN/Log/Log4perl/Appender.pm
        }

$p->{message} = $self->{layout}->render($p->{message},
            $category,
            $level,
            3 + $Log::Log4perl::caller_depth,
        ) if $self->layout();
    }

$self->{appender}->log(%$p,
                            #these are used by our Appender::DBI
                            log4p_category => $category,
                            log4p_level    => $level,
                          );
    return 1;
}

##################################################
sub name { # Set/Get the name
##################################################
    my($self, $name) = @_;

I run Squeezeserver (IIRC its official name) in my home. I have every player they made except the latest as the director of Engineering who was my contact left after logitech bought them out. It runs on the same WinXP box that my web server runs on and the music files (all FLAC) are stored local to it.  I am thinking about moving the music files to unRaid which is currently planned as a movie server only.  Waiting for the right memory chips for my mobo so I can continue the build.

The Transporter plays only in the Theater/Music room, a receiver handles whole house audio, there is a receiver in the Guest bedroom, a SqueezeBox in the Master bedroom and a SqueezeBoom in the kitchen. Why so many players, well the price was right.

All the Players are controlled by a number of Phlips Pronto PRO's which converse with the server only over wifi TCP/IP. Any Pronto can control any and all players. Since the Probto PRO code is machine independent it should work with Squeezeserver running on unRAID if the server has enough Horsepower.  Several people run it to servers on NAS's.

It's official name is Squeezebox Server. They wanted to have the word Squeezebox in it, and this just makes sense!

You may try iPeng on the iPhone with your players, it's just awesome.

:-)

Barry has a nice native module he wrote for 9600, which I use for a year (?)

Question (newbie) - how do I specify for SqueezeCenter on unRAID to use share (as seen by PC)?

michael, are you running the squeezebox server on the unraid machine under linux or are you running the squeezebox server on a PC and wish to store the nusic files on the unRaid server?

Squeezebox just needs to know where your music is.  IIRC it will accept a file anywhere as long as it has a clear (no firewalls) path to the shared file/folder/disk.