Permission for SMB share

What is the least invasive way to make my SMB shares have the same permissions of when editing files from terminal?

For instance, sometimes when editing a configuration file for a docker app, it would be nice to use text wrangler or something similar on my desktop instead of using vim while ssh'd into my tower. Every time I try to do such a task I get a permissions issue. I'm contacting SMB to a Mac using the root credentials of the unRaid box.

What is the least invasive way to make my SMB shares have the same permissions of when editing files from terminal?

For instance, sometimes when editing a configuration file for a docker app, it would be nice to use text wrangler or something similar on my desktop instead of using vim while ssh'd into my tower. Every time I try to do such a task I get a permissions issue. I'm contacting SMB to a Mac using the root credentials of the unRaid box.

I assume that you are editing Linux control and confirmation files.  If this is the case, I assume that you do know that your edits will only last until you reboot/restart your server because the entire Linux OS is loaded and run entirely from memory every time the server is started using the text files in the 'config' folder on the Flash Drive to build/modify those actual control files as the boot process expands bzroot and  bzimage. 

What you probably want to do is to modify those files in the 'config' folder on the Flash Drive.  You can do that by editing the appropriate files on the Flash Drive.  You already have the proper permissions to edit those files via the flash share.  You do need to use an editor which can properly handle Linux system files line endings (Linux does not use the cr/lf convention that Windows uses so Notepad will not work).  I use Editpad Lite as it examines each file when you open it and figures out what it should use when you hit the 'Enter' key.  But that are several others that others that can be used.  (The reason that it is important to have an editor that 'knows' the difference is that some those files are in the Linux format and some are in the Windows format.  If you edit the file and put the wrong 'Enter' key sequence in to the file, you  will (most likely) get a syntax error!)

I'm sorry for the confusion. I'm more talking about having a share, for the sake of this let's call the share "apps". The share contains all of the app data from my Dockers I have running. I can mount that share to other machines on my network through SMB. I want to edit files on that share, but I am getting permission errors when trying to edit them through the SMB mount.

This has nothing to do with the config files on the flash drive which unRaid OS is installed.

I'm sorry for the confusion. I'm more talking about having a share, for the sake of this let's call the share "apps". The share contains all of the app data from my Dockers I have running. I can mount that share to other machines on my network through SMB. I want to edit files on that share, but I am getting permission errors when trying to edit them through the SMB mount.

This has nothing to do with the config files on the flash drive which unRaid OS is installed.

Any particular app's data giving permission errors, or all of them? I think some apps may set their permissions and owners differently than the usual.

Not in particular, but there are some apps that I install and go to change a configuration file from a text editor and I have to change permissions before it lets me change the file from outside my SSH session. For instance, I just got plex email running and had to change permissions of the app data directory before being able to edit the files in TextWrangler.

Not in particular, but there are some apps that I install and go to change a configuration file from a text editor and I have to change permissions before it lets me change the file from outside my SSH session. For instance, I just got plex email running and had to change permissions of the app data directory before being able to edit the files in TextWrangler.

You probably read this entire section of the ver 6 manual on shares.

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual_6#Shares

You will need to understand how Linux shares to understand how unRAID uses this to control access to each share.  It has been a couple of decades since I was last involved in managing file access on UNIX/Linux systems and, at this point, I can't remember exactly what you may have to do to gain access through samba.  It could well be that the application that controls the files deliberately wanted to prevent any user from being able to easily access them from samba!  Remember, default samba access in unRAID can be completely unprotected and your five-year old child could do editing with the standard setup.

You probably read this entire section of the ver 6 manual on shares.

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual_6#Shares

You will need to understand how Linux shares to understand how unRAID uses this to control access to each share.  It has been a couple of decades since I was last involved in managing file access on UNIX/Linux systems and, at this point, I can't remember exactly what you may have to do to gain access through samba.  It could well be that the application that controls the files deliberately wanted to prevent any user from being able to easily access them from samba!  Remember, default samba access in unRAID can be completely unprotected and your five-year old child could do editing with the standard setup.

Thanks for the info. No children to worry about mounting a samba share :)