PCIe Soundcard Passthrough Problem (Asus Essence II - Oxygen)

mikeyosm

Hi

I thought my week couldnt get any worse given my nvme passthrough issues, but yep, they just have...

I have an Asus Essence II PCIe soundcard plugged in to one of my PCIe x1 slots. Card works fine when booting from windows so I know its not that that's the problem...

The card itself has the following profile in UNRAID....

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/26/devices/0000:00:1c.2 (PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev d5))

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/26/devices/0000:72:00.0 (PCI bridge: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1083/1085 PCIe to PCI Bridge (rev 03))

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/26/devices/0000:73:04.0 (Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CMI8788 [Oxygen HD Audio])

I stubbed and tried without a stub passing through the hostdev 73:04.0 and 72:00.0. If I do this and start the VM i get this error...

Failed to bind PCI device '0000:72:00.0' to vfio-pci: No such device

If I only add hostdev 73:04.0 to my XML, i get the following error...

internal error: early end of file from monitor: possible problem:

2016-02-12T20:20:18.908493Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=73:04.0,id=hostdev3,bus=pci.0,addr=0x8: vfio: Error: Failed to setup INTx fd: Device or resource busy

2016-02-12T20:20:18.908855Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=73:04.0,id=hostdev3,bus=pci.0,addr=0x8: Device initialization failed

2016-02-12T20:20:18.908879Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=73:04.0,id=hostdev3,bus=pci.0,addr=0x8: Device 'vfio-pci' could not be initialized

No matter what combination of passthrough in my XML i just cannot start the VM.

Please someone point me in the right direction.

Cheers!!

How does your syslinux configuration look?

Go to Main --> Flash in the webgui.

Currently its as default. I did add a stub for both the card and the PCI bridge to see if that helped as well as enabling ACS in settings/VM but still no joy, same errors occur. I even followed a similar post which mentioned additional iommu parameters in the syslinux.cfg but that also did not help.

Which additional parameters did you try?

intel_iommu=on vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1

and enabling ACS

Try adding iommu=pt to the syslinux.cfg parameters.

Unfortunately this has not made a difference. My full syslinux.cfg is...

default /syslinux/menu.c32

menu title Lime Technology

prompt 0

timeout 50

label unRAID OS

menu default

kernel /bzimage

append iommu=pt vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 pcie_acs_override=downstream initrd=/bzroot

label unRAID OS Safe Mode (no plugins)

kernel /bzimage

append initrd=/bzroot unraidsafemod                                            e

label Memtest86+

kernel /memtest