Some shares inaccessable [SOLVED]

johnm160

Hi everyone,

I upgraded from 4.7 to the latest version following the clean install procedure. I did copy over the couple of config files that were mentioned as safe.

The array booted and I assigned the disks as they were before, I then ran the new permissions tool.

Now my shares show up fine when I go to \\tower but they cannot all be accessed. When I click on some of the shares I get an message that says that \\tower\share name is unavailable. I can access them via the unraid web gui or if I go to my computer and map a network drive it works that way but still not from the \\tower list of shares.

Any Ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Ok now I feel like a complete idiot.......Rebooting the windows machine solved it. Must have been some kind of smb conflict I guess.

Often, this type of problem can be prevented by going to "Settings"  >>> "SMB" >>>  "Workgroup settings" and set "Local master browser:" to 'Yes'.  If your server is on 24-7, the server will end up being the Local Master (Think of it as being the DNS server for the SMB workgroup.).  This generally fixes most weird SMB access problems.  By the way, it usually takes the SMB network about half hour to settle down after a major change in configuration.  That is why  setting up your server as the Local Master and leaving your server on 24-7 is usually a good idea.

That Win 7 box probably thought that it was the Local Master. (SMB is a kluge at best.  I think the base RAM requirement back when it was introduced was 256MB--- That's right MB ---  of RAM for the entire computer system!)

BTW, you can guarantee that your server will always be elected by creating a file called  smb-extra.conf    and put it in your config folder on your unRAID Flash Drive. 

[global]
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
os level = 255

The os level variable can be any number between 0 and 255.  What MS has done over the years is to raise the default setting with each new generation of Windows.  Thus, if all other factors are equal, A Win 10 computer will win over a Win 7 computer.  While they are not anywhere near 255 (I believe they are now closer to 50),  I picked the 255 to assure that I have done everything to possible to guarantee the result I want during the election process.

EDIT:::        Crap!, Crap!!  and double Crap!!!  I just checked and my file is the Linux/Unix format (LF only at the end of line.  Windows uses LF/CF for end of line.)  I never noticed that since I use EditPad Lite for all of my editing.  What I don't know is whether unRAID automatically converts the line endings whenever it loads a .conf file during boot.  I know it does do that with the .cfg files that are also in the config folder.  (The docker.cfg is in the linux format while all of the others are in the windows format.)  So I attached the file...

smb-extra.conf

Someone (who is more knowledgeable than myself on this) really needs to add this stuff to the unRaid FAQ as this keeps popping up all the time  ;) hint hint

That Win 7 box probably thought that it was the Local Master. (SMB is a kluge at best.  I think the base RAM requirement back when it was introduced was 256MB--- That's right MB ---  of RAM for the entire computer system!)

BTW, you can guarantee that your server will always be elected by creating a file called  smb-extra.conf    and put it in your config folder on your unRAID Flash Drive. 

[global]
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
os level = 255

The os level variable can be any number between 0 and 255.  What MS has done over the years is to raise the default setting with each new generation of Windows.  Thus, if all other factors are equal, A Win 10 computer will win over a Win 7 computer.  While they are not anywhere near 255 (I believe they are now closer to 50),  I picked the 255 to assure that I have done everything to possible to guarantee the result I want during the election process.

One trick I have found that if your router supports SMB File sharing for an attached USB disk then if you set the Samba settings on the router to the same workgroup (even without a disk attached) as your PC/UNRAID systems then it seems to become the Local Master.

Archived