[FIX] USB devices without vendor name. (Unassignable)

Arndroid

My original issue was with my Das Keyboard Professional, it didn't have a vendor name. And so didn't show up under VM USB Devices, and XML editing the USB ID into it didn't work either.

Upon a long Google, I found what I was looking for, a way to add the vendor name so UnRAID would accept the device:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2234649

This will work on any USB device which didn't have the luxury of reciving a vendor name.

The UnRAID solution with this information:

Go to your Web UI > Tools > System Devices > USB Devices.

In there, find your USB device (by plugging it in and out see which nameless device changes).

Take note of the ID, example: ID 24f0:0140.

Now, I SSH'd into Unraid, but do as you like.

Our "usb.ids" file is located in "/usr/share/" (Actually a link to hwdata/usb.ids)

We need to edit this file, I prefer to use nano, vi is wierd:

"sudo nano /usr/share/usb.ids"

In this file, let's hold on to the template, by adding your device so it's spacing is like the other devices in there:

24f0  Das Keyboard (Our Device)
        0140 Das Keyboard (Our Device)
2632  TwinMOS (Existing Device)
        3209  7-in-1 Card Reader (Existing Device)

Now, I didn't even need to restart UnRAID or my VM, using the plugin "Libvirt Hotplug USB" plugin already saw it, and after Attaching it, it worked! :D

Cheers,

Arndroid

P.S. There is also a USB Hub in the Das Keyboard, and while it does show up as a seperate ID device, without vendor name, it didn't show up on the USB Devices list.

But it seems like it doesn't need any assigning, it works just fine like this. (Granted, if the USB devices have a vendor name attached to their ID's ;) )

Shameless plug, the great plugin called "Unassigned Devices" has an option for auto-mounting USB storage devices, which it then mounts as a Share, so you can access it directly when plugging one into the Hub.

Just so you know. The edit you did in the USB.ids file will be lost after a reboot. You will need to copy it to your flash drive and then copy it back to the correct location at boot. You can do this in the go file.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi guys, I'm trying to do the same with UNRAID and my Das Keyboard.

I've updated the usb.ids file and set it up in /boot with the go file copying it to /usr/share. I've also installed the 'Libvirt Hotplug USB'.

However, the keyboard still doesn't work at log in for my Arch VM. I need to log in using another keyboard, and then disconnect and reconnect the keyboard to the VM in UNRAID in order to get it to recognise. 

Any ideas how to solve this issue? Please let me know if you need any further debug info from me. 

Thanks!

Archived