Where do you install your Dockers? Is installing Dockers to Cache Drive stupid?

I've been using unRAID more and more since upgrading to unRAID 6 and the inclusion of Docker Technology.

When I setup Docker, I followed this YouTube guide: http://bit.ly/2498gMr (using a bit.ly link because the YouTube link won't show up)

It suggests putting everything on the Cache Drive and pointing the '/config' Volume Mapping to '/cache/appdata/dockername'

For example, if I was installing Plex, I would select Plex and it would originally show:

Container Volume: /config

Host Path: /mnt/user/appdata/PlexMediaServer

But I would change this to:

Host Path: /mnt/cache/appdata/PlexMediaServer

----

However, I'm having some issues.

Issue 1 - If my Cache Drive fails, I lose all of my Dockers and their config files.

Issue 2 - Every Docker App I install seems to install a Share of the same name, which is very annoying, but I really don't need a share of NZBGet. When I log into unRAID from the Mac Finder, all of these new Shares pop-up.

This seems very odd to me. For example, Finder asks me if I want the following Shares mounted ever since I started installing Docker Apps:

appdata

couchpotato

deluge

Docker

filebot

nzbget

nzbhydra

sickrage

sonarr

This just seems weird to me.

------

Questions:

1. Is installing Dockers to the Cache Drive really stupid?

2. Where and how do you guys install your Dockers?  Is there a best way to install Dockers?

3. Is there any way to turn off unRAID creating all of these extra new useless shares based on the Dockers that I install?

I've been using unRAID more and more since upgrading to unRAID 6 and the inclusion of Docker Technology.

When I setup Docker, I followed this YouTube guide: http://bit.ly/2498gMr (using a bit.ly link because the YouTube link won't show up)

It suggests putting everything on the Cache Drive and pointing the '/config' Volume Mapping to '/cache/appdata/dockername'

For example, if I was installing Plex, I would select Plex and it would originally show:

Host Path: /mnt/user/appdata/PlexMediaServer

But I would change this to:

Host Path: /mnt/cache/appdata/PlexMediaServer

----

However, I'm having some issues.

Issue 1 - If my Cache Drive fails, I lose all of my Dockers and their config files.

Issue 2 - Every Docker App I install seems to install a Share of the same name, which is very annoying, but I really don't need a share of NZBGet. When I log into unRAID from the Mac Finder, all of these new Shares pop-up.

This seems very odd to me. For example, I'll have Finder ask if I want the following Shares mounted ever since I started installing Docker Apps:

appdata

couchpotato

deluge

Docker

filebot

nzbget

nzbhydra

sickrage

sonarr

This just seems weird to me.

------

Questions:

1. Where and how do you guys install your Dockers?  Is there a best way to install Dockers?

2. Is installing Dockers to the Cache Drive stupid?

3. Is there any way to turn off unRAID creating all of these extra new useless shares based on the Dockers that I install?

Don't have a mac, but it seems to me that if you set the /config folders for all of the apps to be subfolders from /mnt/cache/appdata then finder will only see appdata (since nzbget / sonarr / whatever) are all folders from it.  This is 100% the recommended way of doing things.  A single appdata folder, and separate folders for each app within it.

Yes installing to the cache drive is the recommended way of running docker, as there is a huge performance hit if you install everything to the array.

Yes, change all of the host volumes from /mnt/user/appdata/whatever to be /mnt/cache/appdata/whatever as some apps (including Plex) have problems and weird issues if they are set to use /mnt/user/appdata/....

CA has a backup function built in to it to backup on a scheduled basis your appdata folder to the array so that if your cache drive does die you will not lose the metadata for your apps (and going to get some improvements to it this weeked)

Questions:

1. Is installing Dockers to the Cache Drive really stupid?

2. Where and how do you guys install your Dockers?  Is there a best way to install Dockers?

1. No, it is the recommended way

2. I think everyone use CA (link in Squid signature), just use CA and you are good to go.

3. Have you first created a appdata share from the GUI before adding apps? I would recommend that you do that, and set it to cache only! Also use the backup in CA to back up your config files.

You should also install Fix Common Problems (link in Squid signature again).

Just to add, if you create a cache pool with multiple cache drives, then you will have protection (not parity but btrfs mirroring)

If the appdata share is set to be cache only, the following paths will be the same for all intents and purposes: /mnt/cache/appdata and /mnt/user/appdata but if you use the latter as the config location path when you install a new container it might have issues (due to a bug involving links within the container). I know a bunch of my docker containers refuse to work if the path is set to /mnt/user/appdata