Windows 10 VM Question/Support needed

Elequi

I had UnRaid on a separate system in the house, but I wish to get rid of it as my main rig is plenty capable of running UnRaid and a VM till I see it necessary to get something like a dual-xeon system. I am running a i7-5820K, 16 Gb DDR4 2133, Geforce 980ti, and a lame gpu for unraid, on a Asus X99-A.

My issue: I backed up my copy of windows through its system image creator, to the unraid server. Then moved all the drives and such to this system, setup my VM and all. My intentions was to use windows recovery from the system image I created (it is in multiple files vhdx or something other than just a .iso) to restore everything I had. When I go to do this while windows is running through the w7 recovery it doesn't see any images, so I figured I had to enter advanced startup and try that way. But the issue is, when I go to advanced startup TroubleShoot > Advanced Options > System image recovery, it loads, then when I get to the next screen it gives me the blue screen of death. System_Thread_Exception_Not_Handled.

Any help would be nice, I have quite slow internet and would hate to have to spend the next week downloading nearly 400 GBs of stuff.

There is a guide to convert physical machine to VM on the wiki.

The procedure you are following doesn't seem to be similar to the wiki procedure so it would be a bit hard to troubleshoot.

Also, if all your critical data is backed up, my opinion is that it's always better to install a fresh new VM and reinstall softwares on it.

qemu-img convert -p -O raw /dev/sdX /mnt/user/vdisk_share/vmname/vdisk1.img

Unraid keeps telling me there is no such file or directory. I have quadruple checked that I have spelt everything right and changed the need things to what I have.

Everything exist but the vdisk1.img which I assume it makes from this.

I have also tried /user/disk1/ and just /disk1/ and if I use o instead O it says raw is a invalid function, I have tried lower casing everything....I have tried everything I can think of.. And this is after 10 minutes of me typeing dec instead of dev, haha.  :'(

I can't help with the VM stuff, but wanted to make sure that you know that Linux is case-sensitive.  If an option is supposed to be small or capital, it HAS to be that way or it won't work.  So -o and -O are 2 completely different options.  And file and folder names are the same way, they must be spelled with exactly the right capitalization.  If you created folders with one name, then you have to use that exact name in the syntax, capitalized the same way everywhere.  Apologies if you already knew that.

I am quite sure it is captial O, because it denies raw if it is lower case plus here is the pasted command from the wiki:

qemu-img convert -p -O raw /dev/sdX /mnt/user/vdisk_share/vmname/vdisk1.img

-o

The one  beneath is the lower case O. I figured the spaces the same way. And if there is an space in the title of the file and underscore (example: Filename John Doe, proper syntax would be John_Doe) is used, yes? If so, then I guess I have to just reinstall everything. Which will take me a good week or better.

After a great many attempts, I was doing something wrong, the wiki is right (of course :P) I am not sure if it was that I never started the VM so the vdisk was not actually there, or if it was the name of my shares taking underscores. I moved to my first VM I had running, changed the command where the wiki says to change it and voila. Also, I have learned UnRaid does not favor the reset button, it seems to always forget something. Like it unenabled my VM one time, and magically gave my root user a password another. But nonetheless I seem to be off now, if I remember I will come back with an update if I actually got it to work.

Now when I start the VM I get to a mapping table and it stops at startup.nsh and opens Shell> what do I do from here?

All I had to do when I got to this point in my VM setup with OVMF Bios was to type "exit" to exit the shell and installation proceeded just fine.

Don´t know if that will work in your case, but exiting the shell worked for me.

Now when I start the VM I get to a mapping table and it stops at startup.nsh and opens Shell> what do I do from here?

Type exit as the post above says, then you have to choose the menu which says boot device (or something similar. Don't remember exactly), the choose the option that says efi misc.

Archived