why does my shiny new (<2 months old) parity drive have a red X by it?

and how could my parity be valid if the parity drive is off line?

Parity is valid

Last checked on Sun 03 Jul 2016 08:01:13 AM CDT (nineteen days ago), finding 0 errors.

Duration: 16 hours, 1 minute, 47 seconds. Average speed: 104.0 MB/sec

and does 140,724,705,158,671 seem like a lot of reads to anyone?

version 6.2.0-beta23 if that matters.

there was no smart data... all there is was the "Smartctl open device: /dev/sdh failed: No such device"

as for cables, it is a supermicro SAS2 backplane, if it were a cable issue, all drives would be having an issue...

as a side note, I seem to be having some issue with the cache drive... basically, I am doing a batch converting of all my VIDEO_TS to MKV (seemed like a good time clean things up a bit, join the modern era, etc... most of my VIDEO_TS VOB's were split up to get past the old XP or WIN95 file size limit, lots of files to keep track of, lots of wasted space...) anyway, it has been running 24/7, seems every once in a while it tries to write to a file while the cache is trying to move that file and it screws stuff up/batch process crashes... wonder if that could also be causing parity unhappiness?

towerb-smart-20160722-1725.zip

yea, I looked at the wiki.

I mounted the  drive in UD, it needed to be formatted (XFS) ran a smart test and it cam back pack perfect, wrote and deleted a couple large files to it, that worked perfectly too...

I tried to do a preclear, but it came back as "Drive Busy", which then reminded me, whats up with preclear? it always say drive busy with all my drives, I did a quick search, and tried the preclear gui beta thing, that didn't help either...

so anyway, I set the drive back as parity, it rebuilt and seems to be fine now.

yea, I looked at the wiki.

I mounted the  drive in UD, it needed to be formatted (XFS) ran a smart test and it cam back pack perfect, wrote and deleted a couple large files to it, that worked perfectly too...

I tried to do a preclear, but it came back as "Drive Busy", which then reminded me, whats up with preclear? it always say drive busy with all my drives, I did a quick search, and tried the preclear gui beta thing, that didn't help either...

so anyway, I set the drive back as parity, it rebuilt and seems to be fine now.

Parity drive doesn't have a filesystem, so it is supposed to be unformatted. Also, preclear will not clear a drive it thinks is part of your array, so unless you somehow made it forget your parity drive (new config) it will not preclear it.

Sounds like you got it sorted though.

Might be good to get a full smart report from it now.

It fell out of the array somehow, and unless you went in and checked all the physical connections, you should try to figure out what happened.

BTW, 2 months is not too long for a hdd to start failing. You expect it to last at least its warranty period and then some, but its a spinning mechanical device, so it could do anything.