Run El Capitan inside Virtualbox on my Windows 10 VM (Unraid 6.) Possible?

Hi All,

I was hoping to run an instance of either El Capitan or Ubuntu 16.04 inside a VM via Virtualbox on top of my main Win10 VM on Unraid. Is this possible? I've tried but I'm getting this error inside Virtualbox:

VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Anyone have any ideas how to make this work?

Thanks,

Rj

I don't know if this is possible in virtualbox but the error code is extremely helpful if you look up vt-x

Does your motherboard & CPU have vt-x or even better vt-d?

If so is it enabled in the BIOS?

If it is then there's a very good guide in the virtualisation section on running El-Cap on KVM

What you're trying to do is run a VM inside a VM, which is nested virtualisation.

My motherboard and CPU supports VT-d I believe. I've ticked both "Virtualisation" and "VT-d" inside the bios settings. I believe El-Cap will work on top of Unraid, but my true goal is to run it on top of Win10.

... Quickly looked up KVM and it supports nested virtualisation.. In that regard then will I need to run Win10 via KVM to be able to run El-Cap on top?

Hope Im making sense, thanks for the quick response CHBMB.

My motherboard and CPU supports VT-d I believe. I've ticked both "Virtualisation" and "VT-d" inside the bios settings. I believe El-Cap will work on top of Unraid, but my true goal is to run it on top of Win10.

... Quickly looked up KVM and it supports nested virtualisation.. In that regard then will I need to run Win10 via KVM to be able to run El-Cap on top?

Hope Im making sense, thanks for the quick response CHBMB.

So your Win10 VM is running in Virtualbox?  And on that VM you want to run an El-Cap VM? In that case Virtualbox would need to support nested virtualisation as well.  Damn, your machine is going to be like the Matrix or Inception....

Why not just use KVM to run a Win10VM and an El-Cap VM?

Why even bother with Virtualbox?

I'm running both a Win10VM and an El-Cap VM right on KVM.  Haven't touched VirtualBox since started with KVM tbh.  KVM is Type I Hypervisor (Kind of) and VirtualBox is a Type II Hypervisor so makes sense to use KVM in my mind.

@CHBMB I'm a bit confused. (Also, a big learning opportunity for me so I'm very much interested.) How does Unraid run it's VMs exactly? You asked if I was running my Win10 VM inside VirtualBox, and the truth is, I'm not sure. I'm just running it from Unraid's VM manager. Does Unraid make use of VirtualBox to run it's VMs, does it use KVM, or does it use a totally different thing?

@ljm42 Perfect. That's exactly what I was looking for. Gonna try it out tonight, thanks!

Unraid natively uses KVM to run it's VMs, however there is or used to be a virtualbox plugin to run VMs but I'm not sure anyone does so anymore.

I'm as confused as you to be honest.  I still don't understand why you want to run a Mac VM inside a Windows VM rather than just running it on Unraid.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Gotcha! Thanks for that.

Ok, just to give a brief background..

Why I want to run Win10:

- Good GPU drivers

- Awesome triple monitor support

- Gaming

Why I want to run OSX:

- Unix is just easier to work with in a professional sense (I am a web developer)

- I prefer OSX UI/UX

Well, I know I can just create two VMs: one Win10 and one El-Cap, and only run one of them at a time (to be able to use the necessary system resources like ram, gpu, etc.) but what I was hoping for was to take advantage of Win10's triple monitor support and be able to pull up a Unix terminal whenever I need to do some work, or maybe pull up a work related application I need on OSX using VirtualBox seamless mode...

• 1 month later...