Disk 3 Refuses to Mount

jokazeek

I couldn't mount it after the rebuild, that's the only message I received? The CA 'Common Problems' utility said it encountered an error and advised me that Disk 3 was unmountable. Also pointed me to the xfs_repair manual and recommended I follow that instead of formatting. At that point I realized I was missing about 300+ content from my array so I freaked out and just started following the recommended manual. That's where xfs_repair came in via CLI.

I believe that the message FCP would have returned would be

...If the disk is listed as being unmountable, and it has data on it, whatever you do do not hit the format button.  Seek assistance HERE

I do and it's not dead. Are you saying I lost the 300+ data and will just need to recover what I can from a lost+found directory or something? Please advice with specifics as I'm not a Linux or unRAID guru. I suppose losing this drive wasn't that bad but I'd hate for this to become the norm, so is there a bug in this release? Or just something I can do better next time to prevent this from happening? Please advice guys, thanks.

...so is there a bug in this release? Or just something I can do better next time to prevent this from happening?

This is not an unRAID bug, the only strange behavior were the writes to the replacement disk during the xfs_repair, this because you did it in a way I've never seen nobody doing in almost 10 years, assigning a replacement disk but not rebuilding, file system check is usually done on the emulated disk (red x) or on a good disk (green ball), the way you were doing it (orange triangle) did have unintended writes but the only side effect was the extra time it took, it didn't compromise data or recovery.

Now to your problem, let's start from the beginning:

1-Why was the original disk replaced, was it disable or unmountable? Can you post a SMART report for that disk?

2-Do you know why you can't complete a disk rebuild, i.e., disk doesn't turn green and stays with the orange triangle? Post the diagnostics after a rebuild attempt.

Archived